2022 cars 'porpoising' at high speed

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: 2022 cars 'porpoising' at high speed

RB porpoising at 0:12

Ferrari porpoising at 3:00 and 4:00 below looks mainly to be over the rear axle. I wonder if the rear wing changing angle of attack exacerbates things.

π“„€

Andi76
Andi76

vorticism wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2022, 22:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL0yww9nk9o

Ferrari porpoising at 3:00 and 4:00 below looks mainly to be over the rear axle. I wonder if the rear wing changing angle of attack exacerbates things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS12jxB2q98
What i noticed about the Ferrari is that they softened the suspension. In the first test Ferrari was the only team with an extremely stiff suspension set-up and all the other teams followed Ferraris lead. Since these test Ferrari has softened their suspension set-up massively. Especially at the rear. So i think its probably more the suspension, but maybe the AoA also contributes, especially as Ferrari drives the floor more than any other car with the rear-and beamwing.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Andi76 wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2022, 22:59
vorticism wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2022, 22:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL0yww9nk9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS12jxB2q98
What i noticed about the Ferrari is that they softened the suspension. In the first test Ferrari was the only team with an extremely stiff suspension set-up and all the other teams followed Ferraris lead. Since these test Ferrari has softened their suspension set-up massively. Especially at the rear. So i think its probably more the suspension, but maybe the AoA also contributes, especially as Ferrari drives the floor more than any other car with the rear-and beamwing.
I suspect two things were at play this weekend for Ferrari. Softening the chassis in anticipation of a lot of wet weather running, and maybe leaning towards it being wetter than it was, and adding in some more df in anticipation of the same conditions.

vorticism

Andi76 wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2022, 22:59
So i think its probably more the suspension,
It doesn't look like the tires were being compressed much in that sequence so you may be right.
π“„€

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Nein porpoising:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

johnny comelately wrote: ↑
25 Apr 2022, 15:30
Nein porpoising:

This car had a massive porpoising problem in Spa WEC sometime in 2012-2015. I cannot pinpoint the year from memory.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

AR3-GP wrote: ↑
26 Apr 2022, 03:16
25 Apr 2022, 15:30
Nein porpoising:

This car had a massive porpoising problem in Spa WEC sometime in 2012-2015. I cannot pinpoint the year from memory.
OK, I didnt know that. It would be good to know (if it is the public access) how they solved it.
But anyway this particular run it was perfect
and the added bonus of one of the most superb notes

vorticism

Are there any videos or press that attest to it? LMP1 had a spec floor with a plank and ersatz step plane for most/all of its duration. If there was a ground effect sensitive part perhaps it may have been the front wing/diffusers as they were the lowest aero appendages (along with a true venturi tube profile) and the front floor corners which were ~2" closer to the ground (look at any side profile view of them), a vestige of the angled floor sides rule to solve flipping iirc. I don't recall them being prone to porpoising.

π“„€

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

A picture says a thousand words
the Chaparral 2J in 1969

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

Two thoughts I had watching Imola:

Could you put two high wearing pins at the front and back. Drive around wearing the pins down until porpoising starts. Then lock the max suspension travel (including natural flex of the arms and tyres) to just before that amount.

Also does porpoising give you higher top speed due to the stalling of the undertray?

I can imagine that there will be some broken cars if they haven't solved it by the time we reach Monza.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

graham.reeds wrote: ↑
27 Apr 2022, 09:45
Two thoughts I had watching Imola:

Could you put two high wearing pins at the front and back. Drive around wearing the pins down until porpoising starts. Then lock the max suspension travel (including natural flex of the arms and tyres) to just before that amount.

Also does porpoising give you higher top speed due to the stalling of the undertray?

I can imagine that there will be some broken cars if they haven't solved it by the time we reach Monza.
And broken drivers , I was wondering how close to causing a version of concussion now that it has been recognised as long term damaging.

SiLo

27 Apr 2022, 09:24
https://motorsportexplained.com/wp-cont ... oric-3.jpg
the Chaparral 2J in 1969
And somehow this picture says nothing. I'm not sure what the point of your post it?
Felipe Baby!

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

SiLo wrote: ↑
27 Apr 2022, 10:41
the Chaparral 2J in 1969
And somehow this picture says nothing. I'm not sure what the point of your post it?
Very high, maybe extreme ground effect generated by active non-conventional means in the last millennium with no porpoising (that i know of)
Now I am lost for words

SiLo

27 Apr 2022, 10:58
the Chaparral 2J in 1969
Very high, maybe extreme ground effect generated by active non-conventional means in the last millennium with no porpoising (that i know of)
Now I am lost for words
Well yes because it has a big fan sucking the air out in a consistent fashion and minimal downforce from any other surface. In this context it is entirely unrelated.
Felipe Baby!

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

27 Apr 2022, 11:39
27 Apr 2022, 10:58

Now I am lost for words
Well yes because it has a big fan sucking the air out in a consistent fashion and minimal downforce from any other surface. In this context it is entirely unrelated.
With respect, you may be mistaken.
It is all related, it is not a binary situation
In problem solving, looking at many sources of information often helps in finding a solution.
I could almost guarantee some of the current designers would have looked at older race cars for this reason.
Are you saying this discussion should be limited to just the existing troublesome cars and the few who arent?
I for one want to know why with this reduced downforce formula, akin to the Chaparral, why these problems have cropped up.

They are the largest Gurney flaps I have seen.