2022 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Gardens, May 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
continuum16

2022 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Gardens, May 06 - 08

Officially: FORMULA 1 CRYPTO.COM MIAMI GRAND PRIX 2022

Weekend Schedule
https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2022/Miami.html

Track Layout

DRS Zones
Pit Straight, Turns 10-11, Turns 16-17

From Pirelli

Onboard (Assetto Corsa, via F1 Miami Grand Prix on Youtube)

I know we are still over a week away, but it is a brand new circuit, so there's more discussion potential...
Last edited by continuum16 on 03 May 2022, 17:59, edited 3 times in total.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Neuron

Re: 2021 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Gardens, May 6-8

Track layout...some kind of... SPA? =)
Long straights with fast corners... if Ferrari is known to be best at slow corners --> RBR favourable.

continuum16

Re: 2022 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Gardens, May 6-8

I would expect similar setups/approaches to maybe Montreal or Spa. Not quite Monza levels of downforce but probably only a notch or two above. I would expect RB to have advantage with top speed, and would expect another painful weekend for Mercedes given their current straightline deficiencies. Outside podium shot: Alfa Romeo due to preference of slow corners and good top speed. This will be a great litmus test to confirm whether or not McLaren really is on top of their early season issues, since they struggled with top speed, braking, and slow corners in the first two races.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

fritticaldi

Italian media is reporting that Freitas and Wittich from Race Control have been diagnosed with Covid. Now the FIA is scrambling for a solution.

continuum16

fritticaldi wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 22:46
Italian media is reporting that Freitas and Wittich from Race Control have been diagnosed with Covid. Now the FIA is scrambling for a solution.
My guess is that Herbie Blash could be race director if absolutely necessary; since he was Whiting's no.2 for years. A week is probably enough time for at least one of them to recover beforehand.

Although I wonder, doesn't the race director have to inspect and approve the venue since it is new? IIRC Masi had to sign off on Jeddah on Wed/Thurs before FP1. I don't know for sure if it is specifically the job of the FIA Race Director or just a "Safety Delegate" (although typically the RD counts as one) meaning that it could be someone else within the organization. That could be a bigger problem...
- Mark Twain

InsaneX_Badger

Re: 2022 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Gardens, May 06 - 08

Spoutnik wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 00:23
Fake video! The W13 is not porpoising there! 😂😂😂

Evo2racer

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 16:56
Spoutnik wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 00:23
Fake video! The W13 is not porpoising there! 😂😂😂

It’s the new floor and revised side-pods🙊!

To be serious I can’t wait for that track & race…

Looks exciting on the computer !! And regardless of anything there will be so many red flags , this race will be fun to watch.

Mogster

Not sure how accurate that is. It looked quite narrow from the previous on site videos.

godlameroso

The asphalt is a big talking point, it's grippy and abrasive. The secret to turn 14 is to straight-line 13 and brake right after the apex.

I'm sure it'll be short lived but I have the fastest on board virtual lap I seen so far.
Saishū kōnā

langedweil

godlameroso wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 16:34
The asphalt is a big talking point, it's grippy and abrasive. The secret to turn 14 is to straight-line 13 and brake right after the apex.

I'm sure it'll be short lived but I have the fastest on board virtual lap I seen so far.
I'd say there's more up for grabs in the second to last corner, right before the stadium entry ..

But [yourdrivernamehere]'s car better be very, very comfortable riding curbs at high speed this weekend, whilst preferedly not breaking apart,cuz it's gonna be needed ..

Let's just hope there's no serious shunts
HuggaWugga !

wogx

Remember when I wrote about how they were going to make an artificial lake for yachts at the Miami track? Well, it looks like the situation is going to get even more absurd, because it's going to be a lake with no water. In the drone video that was published yesterday, you can see that the yachts are already set up on a wooden platform and part of it is painted blue to resemble water. You can't see a basin there so it could be flooded with real water, the area is flat. So they will probably just paint the surroundings blue to make it look like water on TV. I give the video in the comments.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

The film I mentioned. "Lake" for yachts can be seen at the beginning, and towards the end there is an artificial beach with a club - also made especially for the race.
EDIT:

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

wogx

Paint mimicking water and celebrities mimicking fans, cool GP
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Mogster

Fake marinas, the future of F1…

I’d love to see another F1 race at Watkins, the one place in the US with true F1 history. If Imola and Mugello are now OK then why not return to Watkins? I’m sure long time US F1 fans would love it.

cplchanb

Mogster wrote:
01 May 2022, 10:19
Fake marinas, the future of F1…

I’d love to see another F1 race at Watkins, the one place in the US with true F1 history. If Imola and Mugello are now OK then why not return to Watkins? I’m sure long time US F1 fans would love it.

Because it is not grade 1 status and it'll cost a fortune to bring it to that level. Not to mention it's in the middle of nowhere so hospitality and travel will be very troublesome