Gaining an advantage with tyre testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rgava

Gaining an advantage with tyre testing

What do you guys think of the recent tyre testing in Imola with 2022 cars?
One can argue that Ferrari has gained an advantage by detecting a reliability issue during those tests.
This can potentially avoid a DNF in one of the remaining races this year.
Even if all the teams are allowed to participate in tyre testing during the season.
I know it's important to Pirelli to develop the tyres in representative machinery.
But, INHO, they should have organized the tyre testing with all the teams, not with some of them.

LM10

Re: Gainig an advantage with tyre testing

As far as I know teams must pay to participate in tyre testing. Those who are OK with it, do it.

Remember when Mercedes canceled a wet tyre testing session last season due to cost reasons and instead Ferrari took it.

rgava

LM10 wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 13:38
As far as I know teams must pay to participate in tyre testing. Those who are OK with it, do it.

Remember when Mercedes canceled a wet tyre testing session last season due to cost reasons and instead Ferrari took it.
They must pay from the cost cap or on top of the cost cap?

For me, this can be an important conceptual difference. If it is to be paid from the cost cap, then I agree with you we cannot say all them haven't had the same opportunities if, should all them have paid, they would all have participated in the recent tests.

But, if they can pay for tyre test participation outside the cost cap, or there is a restriction in the number of participants in each test, then my argument about the advantage gained by Ferrari can be sustained.

LM10

rgava wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 13:50
LM10 wrote:

For me, this can be an important conceptual difference. If it is to be paid from the cost cap, then I agree with you we cannot say all them haven't had the same opportunities if, should all them have paid, they would all have participated in the recent tests.

But, if they can pay for tyre test participation outside the cost cap, or there is a restriction in the number of participants in each test, then my argument about the advantage gained by Ferrari can be sustained.
I don’t know which budget these costs are taken from, but considering Mercedes didn’t want to participate in one of the testings last season for cost reasons, it might affect the budget cap.

Do you think that Pirelli chooses the teams as they wish and it’s a coincidence whether a team gains an advantage or not?

rgava

LM10 wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 13:54
Do you think that Pirelli chooses the teams as they wish and it’s a coincidence whether a team gains an advantage or not?
No, I don't think the teams are chosen by Pirelli. I'm not trying to search for any obscure "conspiration theory". Only a general chat about this particular situation. Should have happened the same with RB, I would have initiated this same thread.

Coincidence whether a team gains an advantage?
No, I don't think so. For reliability, the more you run the higher the possibility you find gremlins to fix.

Of course, should nothing happened to any of the teams participating in the test, it is difficult to argue an advantage has been gained.

My point is, incidentally one of the teams participating has detected (and will solve) a reliability issue. This is an advantage.

rgava

OOps! I see I made a typo in the thread name...
Sorry, I don't know how to correct it. :D

Big Tea

Was the engine from this years pool? or was it an 'old worn one' that was due to expire anyway?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

Big Tea wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 15:02
Was the engine from this years pool? or was it an 'old worn one' that was due to expire anyway?
Yes, it was from the testing weeks.
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

rgava wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 13:16
What do you guys think of the recent tyre testing in Imola with 2022 cars?
One can argue that Ferrari has gained an advantage by detecting a reliability issue during those tests.
This can potentially avoid a DNF in one of the remaining races this year.
Even if all the teams are allowed to participate in tyre testing during the season.
I know it's important to Pirelli to develop the tyres in representative machinery.
But, INHO, they should have organized the tyre testing with all the teams, not with some of them.
It's normal in the days of limited testing.

It can be an advantage and a disadvantage at the same time.

Tests consume resources even if Pirellie covers some of the cost.

On the other hand more running is also good even if there is not much to be learned from the tyres.

I think FIA tries to make all teams get sime Pirelli testing in over the year. Though granted, the earlier the test is in the year the better.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach

LM10 wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 13:54
rgava wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 13:50
LM10 wrote:

I don’t know which budget these costs are taken from, but considering Mercedes didn’t want to participate in one of the testings last season for cost reasons, it might affect the budget cap.

Typically a team that tested early in the year, like Ferrari just did, won't be invited again until all others have either tested or declined.
So Ferrari, plus Alfa and... Alpha, are now the last options, those teams very unlikely to be on the next test even if some pull out.
If some teams like Williams and Haas end up declining they might get another run.

Stu

rgava wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 14:12
Done.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

rgava

Stu wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 19:32
rgava wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 14:12
Done.
Thanks!