Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dialtone

Re: Mercedes W13

AA_2019 wrote:
07 May 2022, 00:41
Can we conclude the new front wing has moved Merc forward.

Yes the low DF rear wing helps but other teams have also adopted the same so it helped them not go backwards.

Purpoising still a problem. I’m so jealous of the RB which had virtually purpoising even in FP2
With lower fuel and DRS the car looks pretty good actually, the technical section is a strong area for the Merc, and they now have decent top speed, higher than Ferrari in FP1.

Looking forward to see the telemetry, the general lack of porpoising across teams though might create false confidence on having solved or improved the problem, I would wait Barcelona before claiming it's solved :).

pursue_one's

Both in FP1 and FP2, various sensors were mounted in several areas of Lewis’ car.
Russell tested flow viz on the rear.
Andrew Shovlin explained that today they also carried out several tests in terms of set-up (at a mechanical level).

Shrieker

They said in commentary that Russell noted the car was bouncing more on the medium tires.

And it did indeed look like both cars were bouncing more towards the end of the session, when they were on medium. They might've been carrying more fuel tho as well.

Could it be that their the car is so sensitive to minute changes in terms of bouncing, that even the stiffness difference between two compounds can cause them problems ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Sevach

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/what ... /10298530/

Article about the Mercedes FW, good pictures in it too.
Last edited by Sevach on 07 May 2022, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

vorticism

This seems like a detail that other teams will also use eventually. In the last reg set we sometimes saw a forward mounted endplate although not specifically as a low downforce feature, which this seems to be.

𓄀

Sevach

vorticism wrote:
07 May 2022, 06:24
This seems like a detail that other teams will also use eventually. In the last reg set we sometimes saw a forward mounted endplate although not specifically as a low downforce feature, which this seems to be.

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... plates.jpg

https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... t-wing.jpg
Yes, this design emulates the "endplateless" style we had until 2018, it should generate a much more powerful outwash vortex.
And i don't think it's gonna be exclusively low downforce package.

AA_2019

Shrieker wrote:
07 May 2022, 03:12
They said in commentary that Russell noted the car was bouncing more on the medium tires.

And it did indeed look like both cars were bouncing more towards the end of the session, when they were on medium. They might've been carrying more fuel tho as well.

Could it be that their the car is so sensitive to minute changes in terms of bouncing, that even the stiffness difference between two compounds can cause them problems ?
Yes

The are suffering from extreme underbody dynamics.

The extremeness needs to be dialled out somehow
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

Magicsenna_41

pursue_one's wrote:
07 May 2022, 03:05
Both in FP1 and FP2, various sensors were mounted in several areas of Lewis’ car.
Russell tested flow viz on the rear.
Andrew Shovlin explained that today they also carried out several tests in terms of set-up (at a mechanical level).

The new front wing was only on Russells car?

AA_2019

Heavy purpoising back in FP3. Why?
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

Bomber_Pilot

Nothing to see here :)

Jdn1327

They were probably trying the extremes of their setup which seems to be a feature of Mercedes in recent races. Hopefully they don't make the mistake they made with Hamilton in Jeddah. The car seems to have an extremely narrow performance window. Any changes in wind and track temp sets the car off completely. I doubt it loses them 1 second...but it seems this is a difficult car to setup and keep in the window.

AMG.Tzan

AA_2019 wrote:
07 May 2022, 20:44
Yesterday I got the feeling that after they found the car didn't porpoise with the updates, they tried lowering the car throughout the session! As the session went on, porpoising got worse!

So apparently today they tried again lowering the car as much as they could but it ended up porpoising again! That's my theory though. Other than that maybe lower temps and tires not warming up properly may have played a role...

These updates seem to have helped limit porpoising a bit! But without a new floor and maybe even an updated suspension system, I don't see the problem disappearing just through setup changes...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

chrisc90

That'll get stopped in no time i'd imagine. Surprised they get away with it.

siskue2005

Bomber_Pilot wrote:
07 May 2022, 21:12
Nothing to see here :)

It has been the same since their first barcleona test.
Its the same with ferrari and redbull fromt wings.

dialtone

AMG.Tzan wrote:
07 May 2022, 21:18
AA_2019 wrote:
07 May 2022, 20:44
Yesterday I got the feeling that after they found the car didn't porpoise with the updates, they tried lowering the car throughout the session! As the session went on, porpoising got worse!

So apparently today they tried again lowering the car as much as they could but it ended up porpoising again! That's my theory though. Other than that maybe lower temps and tires not warming up properly may have played a role...

These updates seem to have helped limit porpoising a bit! But without a new floor and maybe even an updated suspension system, I don't see the problem disappearing just through setup changes...
I don't think it's porpoising that is the issue, they are sliding around the track in low speed spections and traction areas.

RUS FP2 v FP3: