2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I don't think it was awful. Just a slow stop that send Lando to the back of a DRS train. The straightline speed wasn't there today but next round is a completely different track that favors the strengths of Mclaren. Strategy won't play much of a difference if you have a faster car than the midfield. At the moment we are still not clear of it.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 08 May 2022, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

proteus

Swed3120 wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:14
If gasly doesn’t get a penalty for the next race , I think I’m gonna have a mental breakdown , that’s the least he deserves for costing us likely a few points due to his very very very stupid driving , not the first time either , he seems to enjoy knocking the front wing of his discount Red Bull
Gasly really has a talent of putting himself into this kind of situations quite often, even unintentionally... Maybe Norriss was a bit too quick with overtaking and turning, but a Mclaren fan in me says Gasly was more to blame, especially if he already knew his rear right suspension was broken.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:18
I don't think the package is complete. The next race is gonna show us where the full package stands.
I think Mclaren are trying to develop smart. Their development path was hindered by the Bahrain test and brake issues which has caused them to go back to the drawing board a little. As such I think they are trying to develop and test multiple parts at a time to minimise the impact on CFD and Wind Tunnel. It is probably slower, but may allow for more development time.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mansell89

Darth-Piekus wrote:
I don't think the package is complete. The next race is gonna show us where the full package stands.
It’s gonna need to be a hell of a raft of upgrades to threaten the podium isn’t it. I’m an optimist but there is a chunk to find. We look poor in a straight line.

Swed3120

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:19
I don't think it was awful. Just a slow stop that send Lando to the back of a DRS train. The straightline speed wasn't there today but next round is a completely different track that favors the strengths of Mclaren. Strategy won't play much of a difference if you have a faster car than the midfield. At the moment we are still not clear of it.
You could be on to something , macca seems to have a bit more of a handle on slow speed corners considering our S2 time was very very good , so Monaco might not be as bad as feared.

Also at least gasly’s stupidity will put to bed any driver swap nonsense for the foreseeable future

Darth-Piekus

This isn't the first time though that happened between Mclaren and slower teams. The team seems to be a magnet for accidents from drivers that don't pay attention or getting overzealous. I remembered Kobayashi and how he smacked Hamilton in Montreal 2012 after he wen't overzealous despite being slower and was in no position to gain anything while Hamilton had much to lose.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 08 May 2022, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

It was 50/50 with the Gasly incident- maybe he was pulling over to the left off the racing line because he knew he was slow? It was just an accident nothing more.

Mclaren were just slow today. No straight line speed at all.
2 points was going to be their maximum result here today.
There’s no point venting frustration on another driver- wishing them to die is utter stupidity as well.
Just a fan's point of view

Swed3120

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:24
This isn't the first time though that happened between Mclaren and slower teams. The team seems to be a magnet for accidents from drivers that don't pay attention or getting overzealous. I remembered Kobayashi and how he smacked Hamilton in Montreal 2012 after he wen't overzealous despite being slower and was in no position to gain anything while Hamilton had much to lose.
One would think papaya is a difficult color not to see , but then again who knows with some drivers

Darth-Piekus

Perhaps the team has to fill the car with Arrows just so anyone can see that Mclaren is passing through make way. :D

As for the other matter I am optimistic. The team despite today improved a lot compated to Bahrain with just tweaks keeping up with the rest and even beating Mercedes in Imola and I don't think bringing a new floor works just yet without the rest of the package. That gives me optimism when the full puzzle is complete next race.

I wish you all to have a good night and a good week. Time to sleep as a lot of us are working tomorrow.

Slahinki

Not the best of races. A fair few drivers that seemed to think they were in bumper cars, including Gasly driving around like a blind man. Lack of straight line speed and a botched pitstop making life hard. On to the next one.

Seerix

Race to forget, not too much to say honestly. It sucks that the outlap on hards is so bad when they are cold. I think it should be considered going to next races, that even returning on track ahead does not ensure the ability to keep that place with cold hard tyres on outlap (seeing Lando losing a lot of places after the pit). 1s in the pitstop did not make a difference.
The incident was Gasly's fault IMO, he missed 2 turns, was on radio and just did not check mirrors properly.
We were also quite slow during first laps. RIC had a good start but just got overtaken by at least 3 cars in next laps. There was also a gap ahead of Lando. The car was just slow today.

Seerix

Also this, no idea what happened

SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:15
Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:13
Let's see what solutions they bring all at once in Barcelona. The others so far have brought a lot of upgrades while Mclaren was with Test 2 Bahrain Car. If things go well with the big upgrade package the target is to gain at worst half a second to rivals.
Mclaren brought 2 upgrades to Miami.
New front suspension and an upgraded floor.
No test 2 Bahrain car here I’m afraid.
There was no “new suspension”, there was a change to the trim that covers the tethers and brake lines, not a major change.

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:21
Darth-Piekus wrote:
I think Mclaren are trying to develop smart. Their development path was hindered by the Bahrain test and brake issues which has caused them to go back to the drawing board a little. As such I think they are trying to develop and test multiple parts at a time to minimise the impact on CFD and Wind Tunnel. It is probably slower, but may allow for more development time.
There is also the impact of the budget cap, you can’t just make several iterations of parts… So, it’s better to keep iterating until you get to a point in which you decide to make the part… Making “temporary” or simply evolution of parts like in the past isn’t sustainable with the cap.

runningmanz

Just a crappy race weekend to forget in the end. I thought when Dan nabbed a few positions at the start we might be on, but the lack of top end just screwed us over, we were sitting ducks for DRS. Hopefully the Barcelona upgrades get us back competitive again.