Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollus

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Thunder wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 12:35
https://i.imgur.com/jH6hF66.png

This is the official Ferrari F1-75 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the F1-75 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team thread.
I have moved a bunch of posts to the Ferrari team thread. The veterans here should know the rules by now, the newbies should pay attention.
Ferrari is faster than Red Bull does not belong in any car thread.
Red Bull is faster than does not belong in any car thread.
Ferrari is fast(er) does not belong in the Ferrari car thread but in the Ferrari team thread.
Red Bull is fast(er), how the hell did that end up here?

Do you like that the forum is somewhat tidy (we try!), help keep it so.
Rivals, not enemies.

mzso
mzso

I think Ferrari sorely needs upgrades now. With the sorry top speeds they have no chance against the Red Bull even if the car is slightly faster. The RB eats up Ferrari with DRS and there's no way to get back the position. Leclerc tried as hard as he could but he didn't get near finishing a move.

I wonder if the higher drag is inherent with their side-pod. They'll be suffering during the whole year if it is.

carisi2k

mzso wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:14
I think Ferrari sorely needs upgrades now. With the sorry top speeds they have no chance against the Red Bull even if the car is slightly faster. The RB eats up Ferrari with DRS and there's no way to get back the position. Leclerc tried as hard as he could but he didn't get near finishing a move.

I wonder if the higher drag is inherent with their side-pod. They'll be suffering during the whole year if it is.
The problem is gearing more then drag which I don't think the sidepods actually do as they are there to control the air like the barge boards used to. Spain and Monaco should be good for Ferrari with the shorter gear ratios.

Now that Red Bull have also been dropping weight this has brought there cars advantages to the fore and so Ferrari need to lose some weight to offset Red Bulls gains in this area as well giving them some ballast to play around with.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Gearing doesn't matter much in this formula at all, so long as it's somewhere close you're good.

Spacepace

carisi2k wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:26
mzso wrote:

The problem is gearing more then drag which I don't think the sidepods actually do as they are there to control the air like the barge boards used to. Spain and Monaco should be good for Ferrari with the shorter gear ratios.

Now that Red Bull have also been dropping weight this has brought there cars advantages to the fore and so Ferrari need to lose some weight to offset Red Bulls gains in this area as well giving them some ballast to play around with.
Supposedly Ferrari were around minimum weight. Red Bull have benefited from the increased minimum weight

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spacepace wrote:
09 May 2022, 06:59
carisi2k wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:26
mzso wrote:

Supposedly Ferrari were around minimum weight. Red Bull have benefited from the increased minimum weight
Ferrari was very overweight. Something like 8-10 kg if I'm not mistaken while RB and Merc were like 13-15kg overweight.

carisi2k

PhillipM wrote:
09 May 2022, 02:19
Gearing doesn't matter much in this formula at all, so long as it's somewhere close you're good.
This is where you are wrong. Because gear ratios are frozen and can only be changed once during the season to my understanding. My understanding is that Ferrari has a shorter ratio which gives them faster acceleration but taps out at a slower speed. This has been borne out by lap charts shown on here I believe.

Sevach
Sevach

carisi2k wrote:
09 May 2022, 09:16
PhillipM wrote:
09 May 2022, 02:19
This is where you are wrong. Because gear ratios are frozen and can only be changed once during the season to my understanding. My understanding is that Ferrari has a shorter ratio which gives them faster acceleration but taps out at a slower speed. This has been borne out by lap charts shown on here I believe.
It can't be changed for 2022, only for 2023.

Drift4794
Drift4794

AR3-GP wrote:
09 May 2022, 07:22
Spacepace wrote:
09 May 2022, 06:59

Ferrari was very overweight. Something like 8-10 kg if I'm not mistaken while RB and Merc were like 13-15kg overweight.
They were. They're at or very close to the weight limit now.

Source:

PhillipM
PhillipM

carisi2k wrote:
It isn't where I'm wrong at all, this entire formula has been pretty benign to gear ratios because your power curve is effectly flat for about 4000rpm. So if your ratios are out a little short you rev the engine a little more or you just change up, doesn't matter too much as your output is effectively linear.

Gear ratios have a small effect, but it's miniscule in terms of other factors for these engines.

SiLo

hollus wrote:
08 May 2022, 20:18
Thunder wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 12:35
https://i.imgur.com/jH6hF66.png

This is the official Ferrari F1-75 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the F1-75 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team thread.
I have moved a bunch of posts to the Ferrari team thread. The veterans here should know the rules by now, the newbies should pay attention.
Ferrari is faster than Red Bull does not belong in any car thread.
Red Bull is faster than does not belong in any car thread.
Ferrari is fast(er) does not belong in the Ferrari car thread but in the Ferrari team thread.
Red Bull is fast(er), how the hell did that end up here?

Do you like that the forum is somewhat tidy (we try!), help keep it so.
Can we get this for the other car threads please? They are all just as bad.
Felipe Baby!

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

The teams must absolutely hate Giorgio Piola. :D The amount of effort they put into hiding the car, especially things like the underside of the floor, and GP puts up a crystal clear sketch that shows it in all its full detailed glory. :lol:

It amazes me how he (and his team) are able to get such detailed representations of the hardware and to sketch them up so quickly and accurately. It's like they get free access to everything from every team.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

rafeyahmad wrote:
09 May 2022, 12:57

Source:
I still cant treat these one-off sources as gospel and I'm not sure why others do, either. I know it's difficult cuz it's unlikely we'd get specific confirmation from the team themselves, but it's just all too easy to just say things online as well. And we've seen no end of false rumors and claims by F1 journalists in the past, especially from more national outlets.

Be very wary of just trusting everything you hear. If you did so, you'll end up with many conflicting 'truths'.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Seanspeed wrote:
09 May 2022, 14:52
rafeyahmad wrote:
09 May 2022, 12:57

Source:
I still cant treat these one-off sources as gospel and I'm not sure why others do, either. I know it's difficult cuz it's unlikely we'd get specific confirmation from the team themselves, but it's just all too easy to just say things online as well. And we've seen no end of false rumors and claims by F1 journalists in the past, especially from more national outlets.

Be very wary of just trusting everything you hear. If you did so, you'll end up with many conflicting 'truths'.
True, but when it's Amus, it's a bit more credible than the random blogs promising 100hp updates. Amus atleast take journalism somewhat seriously...

Anyway, the original point is that OP claimed that Ferrari didn't benefit from the min weight increase. They did. They were very overweight at start of season. And would have been even more if they didn't move to 798kg.

matteosc
matteosc

PhillipM wrote:
09 May 2022, 13:53
carisi2k wrote:
It isn't where I'm wrong at all, this entire formula has been pretty benign to gear ratios because your power curve is effectly flat for about 4000rpm. So if your ratios are out a little short you rev the engine a little more or you just change up, doesn't matter too much as your output is effectively linear.

Gear ratios have a small effect, but it's miniscule in terms of other factors for these engines.
Only the last gear may have any influence in determining the top speed, and even then it is not necessarily the limit. If the car is set to run 350km/h in Monza, the fact that is 323km/h instead of 333km/h in Miami is surely not because of gear ratios.