2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:18
mwillems wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:21
Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:18
I don't think the package is complete. The next race is gonna show us where the full package stands.
I think Mclaren are trying to develop smart. Their development path was hindered by the Bahrain test and brake issues which has caused them to go back to the drawing board a little. As such I think they are trying to develop and test multiple parts at a time to minimise the impact on CFD and Wind Tunnel. It is probably slower, but may allow for more development time.
There is also the impact of the budget cap, you can’t just make several iterations of parts… So, it’s better to keep iterating until you get to a point in which you decide to make the part… Making “temporary” or simply evolution of parts like in the past isn’t sustainable with the cap.
I'd imagine they'd avoid iteration wherever possible now, be it in CFD, Tunnel or manufacturing.

I'm still half expecting to see 3D printed parts on the car in FP so that they can move some of the aero testing out of the tunnel and out of CFD.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

CjC
CjC

Seerix wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:45
Also this, no idea what happened
I saw he was under investigation during the race but saw no replay.
I was hoping the Stewards were going to salvage the race for Mclaren once they posted another time penalty to Alonso turns out Ricciardo got one too🤦🏼‍♂️

I think nearly everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong in Miami🤦🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

1m0bius1

Horrible car, wind tunnel that takes 4 years to build, issues happening yo Dan only. Don't have high hopes for mclaren. Lando and Dan should bail asap

runningmanz

1m0bius1 wrote:
09 May 2022, 09:13
Horrible car, wind tunnel that takes 4 years to build, issues happening yo Dan only. Don't have high hopes for mclaren. Lando and Dan should bail asap
Bit early to revert back to that assessment. The car is fundamentally good as Seidl mentioned again last week, also there hasn't been any big updates yet. Wait until Barca and a few more races after that to see how the development goes. Remember because of the brake issue we are behind a few updates on everyone else.
Last edited by runningmanz on 09 May 2022, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

proteus

1m0bius1 wrote:
I do wonder how you dont get tired of posting same bull over and over again?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

101FlyingDutchman

proteus wrote:
09 May 2022, 09:27
1m0bius1 wrote:
I do wonder how you dont get tired of posting same bull over and over again?
Plastic fans mate 😂

CjC
CjC

1m0bius1 wrote:
If it takes 3 to 4 months to build quite a sizeable extension in the UK that runs relatively to plan why is it unacceptable to build a state of the art wind tunnel in 4 years? Have you seen any plans or drawings of the build?
Just a fan's point of view

runningmanz

Just got around to watching Ted's notebook and he said he just spoke to Zak about Dan for 2023, Zak said he is contracted and they are fully supporting him, nothing about looking at any other drivers. So again this has been mentioned by Seidl and Zak in the space of a few days. Saward and Fabrega are full of it.

Dan's last two quallis have been really strong looking better than Lando and at the last part been taken away from him through circumstances beyond his control. Reasonable to suggest he could have been starting ahead of Lando. Not much between them other than luck at the moment.

The long corners and poor top speed hurt us in Miami, hope we get some big upgrades that work well at Barcelona. We are coming from a long way back but the car has potential and these regs you can find alot of improvement imo.

Swed3120

With the luck we have , the updates in Spain will help with long corners and high speed , at the cost of slow speed , just in time for Monaco

Jambier

Really a strange season so far.

Still P4 in constructors, that is the best possible this year to be honest, but really strange car... do you think the front suspension solution might be a cause ?

They are the biggest disappointment this year along Alpine

Emag

Jambier wrote:
09 May 2022, 13:39
Really a strange season so far.

Still P4 in constructors, that is the best possible this year to be honest, but really strange car... do you think the front suspension solution might be a cause ?

They are the biggest disappointment this year along Alpine
Not a strange car imo. It seems like they have apparently achieved what they wanted. They have made the car a bit more balanced. You just have to ignore Bahrain and look at the other races, because Bahrain was hampered by a multitude of different issues.

Now, if you look at the mini-sectors on the rest of the races, they are indeed closer in slow-speed corners compared to previous years, so the gap to the top is no longer strictly because of a single weak area. Based on what they learned from previous years, they tried to sacrifice some of that very competitive high-speed performance (and general low-drag), for some low-speed performance going into the new regulations. But what they have realized after Bahrain though was that they are lacking underfloor (clean) downforce compared to most teams. I feel like this is a case of missing a reference. They came up with something that felt satisfactory during development, and they had no way of knowing if it was enough until they started racing.

To cope with this lack of underfloor downforce, they have jacked up wings which obviously brings a lot of drag alongside the downforce. Another issue with downforce generated by wings is that you can't keep piling on angle of attack, because at some point, it becomes ineffective. So not only are they suffering a huge drag penalty at the moment, their "level of downforce" ceiling is also much lower than other teams.

And there are other issues as well with this approach, which hurts the overall balance of the car. If the floor generates a satisfactory amount of downforce, you actually have room to play with the wing levels. Maybe giving it a bit less front and more rear (or vice versa) to alter the balance according to the circuit type. But McLaren cannot do this at the moment (at least not to the same level as other teams), because for them the downforce generated by the wings is much more important.

Overall, this is a much more balanced car than previous years. Instead of lacking a significant amount on one single area, it lacks a small amount across different areas (some of which are emphasized by their overall lack of downforce), which adds up to about the same deficit they have had previously I would say. I think McLaren has a lot of room for improvement. If they increase the efficiency of the floor it will open up a lot of different paths towards unlocking more pace in that car.

I just hope their current concept allows for significant upgrades to that underfloor performance.

bauc

I did not like the teams attitude all weekend, too much enfaces on show and HEY LOOK AT US WE ARE THE COOL DUDES, and too little focus on race performance, we were up & down all the weekend.

We need to get more serious going forward
Last edited by bauc on 10 May 2022, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Emag

bauc wrote:
09 May 2022, 15:35
I did not like the teams attitude all weekend, too much enfaces on show and HEY LOOK AT US WE ARE THE COOL DUDES, and too little focus on race performance, we were up & down all the team.

The part of the team that handles entertainment, PR and marketing has nothing to do with the part of the team that works on performance.

The result turned out that way because that's the best they could do at that track with the package they have. Combined with some bad luck.

It had nothing to do with what they were wearing or doing for PR outside of racing ...
Last edited by Emag on 09 May 2022, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

bauc

Emag wrote:
09 May 2022, 15:41
bauc wrote:
09 May 2022, 15:35
I did not like the teams attitude all weekend, too much enfaces on show and HEY LOOK AT US WE ARE THE COOL DUDES, and too little focus on race performance, we were up & down all the team.

The part of the team that handles entertainment, PR and marketing has nothing to do with the part of the team that works on performance.

The result turned out that way because that's the best they could do at that track with the package they hav. Combined with some bad luck.

It had nothing to do with what they were wearing or doing for PR outside of racing ...
Its all about mindset and the drivers were just not in the groove this weekend at all.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

A.J.O

CjC wrote:
09 May 2022, 07:38
Seerix wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:45
Also this, no idea what happened
I saw he was under investigation during the race but saw no replay.
I was hoping the Stewards were going to salvage the race for Mclaren once they posted another time penalty to Alonso turns out Ricciardo got one too🤦🏼‍♂️

I think nearly everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong in Miami🤦🏼‍♂️
I'd really appreciate if some one can explain to me how the #3 car gets a point and a 5 sec penalty for this on lap 49 when a lap latter the #63 car does almost the exact same thing with the #44 car in T12
and then to top it off on lap 56 the #18 once again turns into the car on the inside and its just a racing incident.
For reference watch F1TV onboards of
RIC 1:30:00
RUS 1:31:36
MAG 1:41:00