The Road to the 50% Thermally Efficient F1 Internal Combustion Engine

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.

J.A.W.

Re: The Road to the 50% Thermally Efficient F1 Internal Combustion Engine

Zynerji wrote:
10 May 2022, 03:46
https://youtu.be/FwhMz2kR4pw
Kindly label/post up front such 'click bait' type nonsense, can you ta, Zynerji?

It saves irritating time-wasting, & so won't debase your credibility here, accordingly.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Zynerji

J.A.W. wrote:
10 May 2022, 09:25
Zynerji wrote:
Kindly label/post up front such 'click bait' type nonsense, can you ta, Zynerji?

It saves irritating time-wasting, & so won't debase your credibility here, accordingly.
41mpg from a 302ci v8 isn't in line with the current thread?

And I have no "credibility" on these forums, as I am not an engineer. I simply learns and ask questions, point out obvious fanboism, and state my opinion on the racing and cars.

I don't need credibility in this place. I have plenty in real life.

pgfpro

Zynerji wrote:
10 May 2022, 16:07
J.A.W. wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

And I have no "credibility" on these forums, as I am not an engineer. I simply learns and ask questions, point out obvious fanboism, and state my opinion on the racing and cars.

This guy is just out to make YouTube $$$$.
The test he did is crap went around 40 miles and re-filled his car. I did the same test and my stock 2017 Ford Fusion and got 50mpg vs normally 32mpg compared to when I run 300 plus miles before I fill up. He got over 500K of hits from his lawn mower carb with his vacuum leak box. Fuel prices are high and the ignorant general public is eating up.

The scammer did his test at 70mph with a stock Mavrick that has a crappy Cd. His intake vacuum was around 17 inch/Hg so he had to be running a high BSFC number on a stock unmodified engine with just a different carb.

Hes even been called out to re-test 300+ miles with a un bias person to ride along and guess what it got deleted.
Last edited by pgfpro on 10 May 2022, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
building the perfect beast

Zynerji

pgfpro wrote:
10 May 2022, 16:47
Zynerji wrote:
10 May 2022, 16:07
J.A.W. wrote:

This guy is just out to make YouTube $$$$.
The test he did is crap went around 40 miles and re-filled his car. I did the same test and my stock 2017 Ford Fusion and got 50mpg vs normally 32mpg compared to when I run 300 plus miles before I fill up. He got over 500K of hits from his lawn mower carb with his vacuum leak box. Fuel prices are high and the ignorant general public is eating up.

The scammer did his test at 70mph with a stock Mavrick that has a crappy Cd. His intake vacuum was around 17 inch/Hg so he had to be running a high BSFC number on a stock unmodified engine with just a different carb.

Hes even been called out to re-test 300+ miles with a un bias person to ride along and guess what it got deleted.
I thought it was a worthy garage hack. Expecting lab-worthy results kinda misses the fun of this.

johnny comelately

As Formula 1 doesnt exist as an island, but maybe in a bubble, this very relevant lecture puts some perspective on the matter. And done with a lovely Italian flavour.
It shows how different authorities are looking at solutions for the future, whether we like it or not, by development of fuels and engines as they relate to each other. From this you can see the hotbed of F1 development is so useful.
If only the FIA would move into the new millenia more completely. I say this because they have a restrictive approach, for only one example in materials: when I see the word iron it makes me cringe. I have digressed so:
SCREENSHOT

johnny comelately

I get the feeling from watching the above lecture and this F1 engine expose that we may be seeing the end of the counterintuitive strategy EGR??

johnny comelately

As an example of real world relevance of F1 engine development which the FIA lamely and associated people leadingly are helping global health.
The explanation of the method where the unburnt fraction forms soot (maybe the dreaded 2.5 micron particulates PM2.5). This is a major contributor to premature deaths form engine pollution. From memory those pollution related deaths are a greater number than the road fatalities (1,35 million people are killed each year on the roads worldwide and 50 million injured) by a huge factor.

Tommy Cookers

johnny comelately wrote:
11 May 2022, 01:04
... PM2.5 .. This is a major contributor to premature deaths form engine pollution.
...From memory those pollution related deaths are a greater number than the road fatalities (1,35 million people are killed each year on the roads worldwide and 50 million injured) by a huge factor.
there are no premature deaths from engine pollution as we know it
there are premature air pollution deaths of those living in straw huts having open fires but no chimneys or flues ....
where the air pollution is 10000x that in the public domain

the WHO reports don't say what the shockumentaries tell us they say
the WHO is a campaigning organisation - now the EU claims this 0.1% prematurity - other medics say this is fiction
if Joe Soap dies aged 77 how can anyone show that was 6 weeks premature because of our cars ?
most air pollution particulate or NOx is in the home
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 11 May 2022, 09:25, edited 2 times in total.

johnny comelately

Tommy Cookers wrote:
11 May 2022, 01:53
johnny comelately wrote:
... PM2.5 .. This is a major contributor to premature deaths form engine pollution.
...From memory those pollution related deaths are a greater number than the road fatalities (1,35 million people are killed each year on the roads worldwide and 50 million injured) by a huge factor.
there are premature deaths from air pollution of those living in huts having open fires but no chimneys or flues ....
when the air pollution is 10000x that in the public domain
With respect, patently incorrect Tommy
I will find the relevant reports when I have time or you can google it yourself

johnny comelately

johnny comelately wrote:
11 May 2022, 02:04
Tommy Cookers wrote:
11 May 2022, 01:53
johnny comelately wrote:
there are premature deaths from air pollution of those living in huts having open fires but no chimneys or flues ....
when the air pollution is 10000x that in the public domain
I will find the relevant reports when I have time or you can google it yourself
this is just one of many:
MIT study estimates ~7,500 early deaths per year in UK from PM2.5 from transport
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/0 ... 20419.html

Tommy Cookers

well ....
clearly current public air is cleaner than ever (since the invention of fire)
clearly there is some safe level of so-called pollutants - to those who trust our governments position in this regard

btw ....
Ukraine currently says in total 2 people died or will die from Chernobyl '86
Friends of Earth says 900000 people

johnny comelately

Tommy Cookers wrote:
11 May 2022, 02:28
well ....
clearly current public air is cleaner than ever (since the invention of fire)
clearly there is some safe level of so-called pollutants - to those who trust our governments position in this regard

btw ....
Ukraine currently says in total 2 people died or will die from Chernobyl '86
Friends of Earth says 900000 people

Tommy Cookers

johnny comelately wrote:
11 May 2022, 02:16
I will find the relevant reports - this is just one of many:
MIT study estimates ~7,500 early deaths per year in UK from PM2.5 from transport
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/0 ... 20419.html
the above is 'airport-doomsayers-are-us' Yim & Barratt from MIT's Dept of Aeronautics & Astronautics ....
their doom-quantifications are taken from ....

Committee on the Medical Effects of Air Pollution COMEAP .....
'the Mortality Effects of Long-Term Exposure to Particulate Air Pollution in the United Kingdom' 2010

this says elimination of ALL man-made particulate from air will increase average whole-life expectancy by 6 months
that's all from public air and all from private air (ie your kitchen and your heating etc)
(and eg if you're 40 years old that average 6 months whole-life would be average 3 months)
6 months whole-life .. well no ....
it's estimated to be between average 1 month and average 1 year (what an arithmetically convenient coincidence !)
estimated to average certainly between 1 month and 1 year - (unless maybe the certainty estimation isn't certain)

the prediction of the whole-life benefits of elimination of ALL tailpipe particulates is ......
(remember UK city public air particulate is 75% from the burning of wood for 'green' heating)
(say) average 3 weeks - or rather that would estimated as between average 3 days and average 6 weeks .....
unless the estimate isn't certain - maybe the estimate is ... uncertain ?

COMEAP's methods are based on actual changes in death rates with natural variations in particulate ... but ...

weather drives variation in street-level particulate eg dilution by wind/convection - maybe concentration by inversion
(where) does COMEAP separate heating/weather (&calendar) effects on mortality from particulate effects on it ?

does their process just assume there's no safe level ? - and so imply that legal limits are always wrong ?

it looks like bad science - done by people whose only defence can be their sincerity
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 12 May 2022, 22:14, edited 8 times in total.

Zynerji

We should stop volcanic CO2 emissions as well if we really care...