2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Schippke wrote:
11 May 2022, 05:23
dialtone wrote:
11 May 2022, 02:33
Plus unless these cars really can follow, if Ferrari can start in front, it will end in front.
Was this in regards to Monaco or Grand Prix in general? Because if general... Max sort of proved that point incorrect in Miami. :lol:

My concern with Monaco isn't so much to do with the car... I think it is more to do with Charles himself. Charles' run at home has been... quick, but accident prone. Could be a good opportunity for Sainz to rise up and snag the win... if Red Bull isn't the absolute team to beat there.
Monaco and Barcelona both.

I think Charles will be fine in Monaco, he crashed in the past because he overdrove the car like Sainz is doing now. He won't need to take unnecessary risks to get on pole in Monaco or Barcelona if Ferrari's upgrade work.

bluechris

Re: Ferrari F1-75

To me the real difference is the DRS opened wing where RB gains the most out of it.
Ferrari needs to change the rear wing to be more efficient when DRS is open like RB and since Mercedes in the last race passed the tests with a front wing with this huge amount of flexing, they need to develop there also to maximize gain in straights.
Off course RB will continue to evolve but i hope Ferrari will catch up in Barcelona at first.

silver

dialtone wrote:
11 May 2022, 05:30
Schippke wrote:
dialtone wrote:
11 May 2022, 02:33
Plus unless these cars really can follow, if Ferrari can start in front, it will end in front.
Was this in regards to Monaco or Grand Prix in general? Because if general... Max sort of proved that point incorrect in Miami. :lol:

My concern with Monaco isn't so much to do with the car... I think it is more to do with Charles himself. Charles' run at home has been... quick, but accident prone. Could be a good opportunity for Sainz to rise up and snag the win... if Red Bull isn't the absolute team to beat there.

I think Charles will be fine in Monaco, he crashed in the past because he overdrove the car like Sainz is doing now. He won't need to take unnecessary risks to get on pole in Monaco or Barcelona if Ferrari's upgrade work.
Barcelona and Hungary this year might just offer overtaking opportunities with cars that can follow closely, especially earlier in race stints when tyres are fresh. Also, undercut is proving to be a very strong option as the car pitting second is going to take a while to get the tyres into optimum operating window.

LM10

blinds0r wrote:
10 May 2022, 21:42
bagajohny wrote:
10 May 2022, 19:22
GrrG wrote:
09 May 2022, 21:43
Miami GP Telemetry: RedBull is not ahead for top speed

https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 16933.html
Great article. Very helpful analysis. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed! This is something I noticed as well, Ferrari were consistently losing out in the middle twisty sector, which everyone (including me) assumed Ferrari would be faster at. That RB seems to have incredible mechanical grip. Doesn't bode well for Ferrari for tracks like Monaco/Baku/Singapore....
The reason Ferrari wasn’t particularly good in the twisty sectors in the race (unlike in qualifying) was due to tyre reasons. Charles was asked about that and told that they needed to analyze it in order to understand why they were slower there.
So it’s not that they suddenly lost mechanical grip in comparison to RBR. Qualifying showed that Ferrari was untouchable in terms of cornering and especially mechanical grip once again.

If we would go to tracks like Monaco, Singapore, Hungary now, the Ferrari would be the car to beat there.

dxpetrov

Just to point out one thing here. RB had a higher DF rear wing that Ferrari in Imola and yet it was faster and with higher top speed still. Food for thought. It's not all as black and white and as easy as putting different rear wing to control the drag levels.

F1NAC

blinds0r wrote:
bagajohny wrote:
GrrG wrote:
09 May 2022, 21:43
Miami GP Telemetry: RedBull is not ahead for top speed

https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 16933.html

Agreed! This is something I noticed as well, Ferrari were consistently losing out in the middle twisty sector, which everyone (including me) assumed Ferrari would be faster at. That RB seems to have incredible mechanical grip. Doesn't bode well for Ferrari for tracks like Monaco/Baku/Singapore....
Could it be that they were running stiffer car than usual, hence hurting mechanical grip

dialtone

silver wrote:
11 May 2022, 07:50
dialtone wrote:
11 May 2022, 05:30
Schippke wrote:

Barcelona and Hungary this year might just offer overtaking opportunities with cars that can follow closely, especially earlier in race stints when tyres are fresh. Also, undercut is proving to be a very strong option as the car pitting second is going to take a while to get the tyres into optimum operating window.
The one reason why I think you may be correct is that these cars have worse traction and mechanical grip compared to past years, maybe it's due to the tracks they've been to so far and the compromised setups, but except for Bahrain and Jeddah, the other tracks had plenty of sliding around, big understeer and what have you. I can see people messing up S3 in Spain and getting passed in T1 or T4 for example. Bit of understeer in T12, slightly harder suspension in T14, some sliding as you put down the pedal after T15 and with that long DRS you'll get smoked.

Drift4794

F1NAC wrote:
11 May 2022, 09:09
blinds0r wrote:
bagajohny wrote:

Could it be that they were running stiffer car than usual, hence hurting mechanical grip
It's also that. Both of these things are mentioned in the article that was linked

Vanja #66

matteosc wrote:
10 May 2022, 21:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM240IV ... Ng&index=2
Interesting video, even if I do not agree 100%. I think Ferrari cannot run a low downforce package with the same efficiency of Red Bull.
I love it when "experts" jump to conclusions based on results of two races in extremely specific conditions... :mrgreen: Just like they jumped to conclusions when Ferrari took a dominant win in Melbourne. Literally no conclusions about the two cars can be drawn from previous two races, other than noting (the obvious) that RB as a team managed those conditions better.

As for efficiency, we are yet to see a true low DF package from Ferrari and how they fare with it, probably in Baku at the earliest.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GrrG

#Ferrari update: # F175 will carry out its second filming day on Friday in Monza, an interesting verification on aerodynamic configurations possible

Spoutnik

Drift4794

Spoutnik wrote:
11 May 2022, 11:24
Please don't share anything that's written by Franco Nugnes. He's very unreliable. Wait for better sources to confirm before posting.

Wouter

I agree, Franco Nugnes is very unreliable. Duchessa is the most reliable Italian F1 journalist.

#Ferrari update: # F175 will carry out its second filming day on Friday in Monza, an interesting verification on aerodynamic configurations possible
The Power of Dreams!

keroro.90

LM10 wrote:
11 May 2022, 08:02
blinds0r wrote:
bagajohny wrote:

The reason Ferrari wasn’t particularly good in the twisty sectors in the race (unlike in qualifying) was due to tyre reasons. Charles was asked about that and told that they needed to analyze it in order to understand why they were slower there.
So it’s not that they suddenly lost mechanical grip in comparison to RBR. Qualifying showed that Ferrari was untouchable in terms of cornering and especially mechanical grip once again.

If we would go to tracks like Monaco, Singapore, Hungary now, the Ferrari would be the car to beat there.
Agree, tyre temperature was a real issue here, especially with the medium. They were really struggling in keeping the tyre in the right temperature and this is reflected in oscillating performance in the twisty sector and in the overall lap time. If I remember correctly, Leclerc complained about a difficult to drive car during the first stint, a sign that temperature (and confidence in the car) was going on and off.

matteosc

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 May 2022, 10:05
matteosc wrote:
10 May 2022, 21:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM240IV ... Ng&index=2
Interesting video, even if I do not agree 100%. I think Ferrari cannot run a low downforce package with the same efficiency of Red Bull.
I love it when "experts" jump to conclusions based on results of two races in extremely specific conditions... :mrgreen: Just like they jumped to conclusions when Ferrari took a dominant win in Melbourne. Literally no conclusions about the two cars can be drawn from previous two races, other than noting (the obvious) that RB as a team managed those conditions better.

As for efficiency, we are yet to see a true low DF package from Ferrari and how they fare with it, probably in Baku at the earliest.
I honestly think that Craig Scarborough is a rather reliable source. We are all speculating since the cars were presented, we are all drawing conclusions since the tests, I think we can keep doing that and having fun, even if our conclusions are wrong. We are not actually designing the cars, so if we are wrong is not big deal.

What we can say for sure is that up to this point Ferrari is running an higher downforce (and consequentially higher drag) setup than Red Bull. Whether this is for choice or necessity we do not know yet and you are right, we do not have an efficiency comparison since we never saw them with the same downforce levels.
Ferrari may bring a low DF package at a certain point and then we will know; in the meantime, I think we can keep discussing about it, even if we have no proof, one way or another.