2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jambier

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

organic wrote:
12 May 2022, 01:24
https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-red-bul ... ung-44044/

Helmut Marko says Red Bull will bring new parts to Spain:

“We start there with new parts, with which we can finally reach our optimum weight. So far, we were relatively well above the required minimum weight of 798 kilograms.”

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/12738364 ... verstappen

Also reports a weight drop in barcelona
It may be last updates of the year ? They already bring a lot end are close to the end of budget

gandharva

Andi76 wrote:
11 May 2022, 23:54
How can testing and verifying components be a waste of money?
Where did I write this? I was purely talking about the construction and manufacturing cost of the parts. Building parts that do not work of course give you valuable information, but most important they do not give you performance.

Wouter

Jambier wrote:
12 May 2022, 11:15
organic wrote:

“We start there with new parts, with which we can finally reach our optimum weight. So far, we were relatively well above the required minimum weight of 798 kilograms.”

It may be last updates of the year ? They already bring a lot end are close to the end of budget
These won't be the last updates. They aren't close to the end of their budget. :)
The Power of Dreams!

DR30

Andi76 wrote:
12 May 2022, 13:27
gandharva wrote:
12 May 2022, 13:19
Andi76 wrote:
12 May 2022, 13:16
Who says that Ferraris updates do not work?
The fact that they did not race the floor in any session beside testing. Everything else is pure speculation.
What is your evidence that the floor is working?
So basically your personal opinion only and without listening to Ferrari, their approach in that regard and the reasons why Ferrari did not use it....this approach and the fact that they will bring a new floor in Barcelona is the evidence that it will work. Otherwise they would not bring it.
Maybe take this to the Ferrari development thread?

organic

Jambier wrote:
organic wrote:

The info about RB being at the end of the budget cap for development was Nunges who is wrong often. Wait for more reputable outlets to report the same and it will be more credible.

Personally I doubt RB are anywhere near the limit of their development budget

Andi76

organic wrote:
12 May 2022, 14:39
Jambier wrote:
organic wrote:

The info about RB being at the end of the budget cap for development was Nunges who is wrong often. Wait for more reputable outlets to report the same and it will be more credible.

Personally I doubt RB are anywhere near the limit of their development budget
If ANY Team is near the limit of their developement budget already, then i have to say - thats not Formula 1 anymore. At race 15 - ok. But its literally still the beginning of the season.

etusch

If Ferrari's competition hopes are rely on Redbull 's budget then I think Ferrari don't have much to put on car.

rogazilla

If using the development budget with the same efficiency, I would hope the team quickly spend it all to make the car as fast as they can as early as they can in a season. if drivers keep the cars intact and not crashing it every race weekend, there may be some additional budget that can move to development towards the end of the season and not have to spend it on fixing the cars.

TimW

I wonder how they are going to develop next year's car now that they already spent their budget. And where all those engineers will go who's salaries they cannot afford anymore. Which team will pick up Newey?

ispano6

TimW wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:05
I wonder how they are going to develop next year's car now that they already spent their budget. And where all those engineers will go who's salaries they cannot afford anymore. Which team will pick up Newey?
Red Bull aren't short of money - all teams are conjuring of ways to move staff around within their organizations in order to be in compliance with the budget cap. Other teams have moved personnel out of the "official" F1 team so that they aren't part of the F1 budget. They may still be involved in other categories or driver development programs. Automobile manufacturers can use R&D from their road-car business or other categories, such as the MB did with their Formula E technology. RedBull can have HRC do the same. The consequences of breaching the budget cap are vague but considerable, so teams will likely do what it takes to not be caught. Ferrari has had to spend a considerable amount repairing their cars and likely toward reliability of their turbo, a new ERS etc. I feel the real issue is should damage caused by racing incidents be counted toward the budget cap? Last year RedBull took considerable damage at the hands of Mercedes' drivers and they had to suffer the total costs of a new chassis, PU, gearbox, etc. Often times no one driver is at fault and is considered a racing incident. It should deter drivers from getting into incidents and crashes but racers will always be racers. But if a driver is clearly deemed at fault, say for instance Bottas in Hungary, Mercedes should have been made to pay the bill or Red Bull's repair costs shouldn't have had to go toward the budget cap.

Henk_v

Re: Red Bull RB18

A semi-technical question some of you might be able to answer; how can Binotto expect RB to run out of money for upgrades? Nobody knows how much was spent developing the car. Ferrari focussed on 2022 earlier and presented a well developed car. The RB18 that was presented was deemed radical in concept, but "unrefined". Might it be that RB just slapped a car together on a shoestring, choosing to refine it through updates?

chrisc90

If Ferrari reckon that RB have used most of their budget in 5 races with 2 lots of upgrades using Ferrari's reckoned costing of the upgrades (as Binotto said in a interview) Then maybe the cost of Ferrari doing upgrades is a LOT more than what it costs RB to develop?

dialtone

chrisc90 wrote:
12 May 2022, 21:14
If Ferrari reckon that RB have used most of their budget in 5 races with 2 lots of upgrades using Ferrari's reckoned costing of the upgrades (as Binotto said in a interview) Then maybe the cost of Ferrari doing upgrades is a LOT more than what it costs RB to develop?
Ferrari didn't say any of that, motorsport did via Nunes who is unreliable generally.

I'm obviously speculating, but it's not exactly like RedBull is spending half of the money of the other teams. When talking about 2021 development race RedBull team said: https://the-race.com/formula-1/will-202 ... s-in-2022/
Red Bull technical director Pierre Wache argued late last year that the compromise of ’22 design for ’21 development was not large.

“The last development was in Sochi, with manufacturing lead times that was a July development,” said Wache. “So not a massive compromise.

“It’s not just development time you are trading off, it’s also manufacturing because you want a lot of spares and parts for the new car. At some point you have to stop.

“But we have a very good manufacturing facility and that gives us a lot of freedom in terms of longer development. I think our release dates for parts can be later than some others.”
Furthermore it's unlikely everyone here is aware that RedBull is efficient with development and Ferrari, who hired people out of RedBull this year, negotiates contracts with personnel from other teams and so on, somehow is totally unaware of other teams' baseline R&D costs.

All that Binotto said is that RedBull brought a lot of updates in each race of the season and that pace of development shouldn't be sustainable given what they know costs are. He then added that their updates will arrive and that he hopes to catch up.

To me that seems very reasonable. How Nunes got that out of Binotto's words is beyond me.

Jambier

It will be interesting to see because this is clearly a new thing for f1

And I think half season will be the last update for every team

Spoutnik

Re: Red Bull RB18

Henk_v wrote:
12 May 2022, 21:08
A semi-technical question some of you might be able to answer; how can Binotto expect RB to run out of money for upgrades? Nobody knows how much was spent developing the car. Ferrari focussed on 2022 earlier and presented a well developed car. The RB18 that was presented was deemed radical in concept, but "unrefined". Might it be that RB just slapped a car together on a shoestring, choosing to refine it through updates?
Binotto said that Ferrari are monitoring/reporting how much, approximately, each upgrade from RB cost, to compare to where they are cost wise.