2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
11 May 2022, 21:07
ScottR267 wrote:
11 May 2022, 13:20

Odd however the stickers won’t appear on the car and driver overalls until the French Grand Prix
Isn't there a current partnership with ot a similar service? Maybe the current one needs to expire first?
I think I recall something about a Partner who was able to manage our content delivery via Apps, seems like there is crossover here. Perhaps we didn't like the platforms the designed for us and we moved to a new supplier.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

adrianjordan

Question for the mods - is the Team thread really the place for a blow-by-blow of the race each race weekend? Surely that belongs in the race thread? Had to wade through about 6 pages of comments all of which were contemporaneous to the quali and race sessions and, whilst about Danny and Lando, were about the session and not the Team per se.

Always the same small number of culprits too. Even with them ignored it still clogs the thread up.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Stu

You are quite right with that, we can only ask people to post in the correct thread. We have the same thing occurring in car threads (they always seem to drift into team territory). Cleaning up can really only be done after the event, as posts come so quickly that it is impossible to keep up.
Personally, I don’t post during either races or qualifying as I am actually watching what is happening, most of the time strategies play out in the longer term and a minute by minute questioning of what is going on is largely pointless!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

hollus

Mod answer: It is not an ideal solution, but actually we ask people to put the car X is faster than car Y in the team threads (race thread would be ideal). So, actually, the team thread kind of is a right place. It is the right place to ponder the question "will McLaren be in the podium in Barcelona.
We have found this to be a slightly less imperfect way to proceed than other imperfect solutions.
But as usual, a modicum of effort from posters to focus is important. It is not because of the blow-by-blow historical analyses going back a decade that this site attracted posters in the first place, so a lot of that is just noise. Agreed.
Alas, most posting members are humans and probably imperfect...
Rivals, not enemies.

Stu

I certainly am, and my significant other reminds me frequently 😂
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

McG

Maybe a live chat function only available at race weekends would be a good idea. Seems some people here like a good chat about the race while it's on. Or start a WhatsApp group or something.
F1 is dead.

Ground Effect

McG wrote:
14 May 2022, 01:42
Maybe a live chat function only available at race weekends would be a good idea. Seems some people here like a good chat about the race while it's on. Or start a WhatsApp group or something.
I agree with this 💯
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Stu

Use the F1Technical Discord, works much better for chatter than the forum.

Mansell89

So we’ve just acquired the Mercedes Formula E team, which will become McLaren Formula E- pretty big news I thought!

McL-H

Mansell89 wrote:
14 May 2022, 11:53
So we’ve just acquired the Mercedes Formula E team, which will become McLaren Formula E- pretty big news I thought!
I am afraid the team entering all these other racing competitions shifts focus from F1. Does McLaren still have the ambition to win F1 championships or does it just seeks to do well in racing in a broader perspective? I don’t care about the brand winning FE or Xtreme E titles tbh.. I’d rather have them finally building a great F1 car again. Just my 2 cents, but perhaps I’m missing the bigger perspective.

mclaren111

McL-H wrote:
14 May 2022, 12:05
Mansell89 wrote:
I am afraid the team entering all these other racing competitions shifts focus from F1. Does McLaren still have the ambition to win F1 championships or does it just seeks to do well in racing in a broader perspective? I don’t care about the brand winning FE or Xtreme E titles tbh.. I’d rather have them finally building a great F1 car again. Just my 2 cents, but perhaps I’m missing the bigger perspective.

Agree 100%

Balalu

I don't care much about the other racing series to be honest, but I think McLaren are working hard on making the brand name McLaren stand out in the automotive world.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Emag

Balalu wrote:
14 May 2022, 13:37
I don't care much about the other racing series to be honest, but I think McLaren are working hard on making the brand name McLaren stand out in the automotive world.
It's exactly how Ferrari made their name way back. It wasn't necessarily because of Formula 1, but because they made sure the name Ferrari was associated with a winning race car.

Back in those days, Le Mans was the most prestigious motorsport race. And it received global recognition. Ferrari established their name in the automotive industry because they won many Le Mans races in the earlier days.

In my opinion, there is currently nothing in the motorsport world that is quite as prestigious as Le Mans was in those years. McLaren can't replicate the same path. So they are following another strategy instead. They are trying to join as many motorsport series as possible, and try and win in as many of them as they can in order to associate the McLaren name/brand with a winning race car, just like Ferrari. (And this helps the automotive side to sell more cars as well).

They are currently struggling on the winning part :P but considering the many resource investments, I honestly can see it happen in the short-term future. If they start winning in Formula 1, the rest of the series will probably follow.

The only problem is that they still haven't proven they can consistently/reliably win in F1 (obviously I mean in the modern era, because historically McLaren is one of the most successful teams in the sport). I am hoping all the investments in the F1 team will start to pay off soon. We had a rough start in the new regulations, but given initial expectations, I am still hopeful on 2023/2024.

MrGapes

McL-H wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:
I mean with the Budget Cap what more can they do?? They already have their infrastructure under construction, I don't see how entering more series should effect the f1 team...

the EDGE

McL-H wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:
But you are missing the big point…

McLaren got turned into a business selling cars

That doesn’t mean they don’t want to win F1, of course they want to win, it would mean more sales.

But raising their profile to different markets is also important, especially with indyCar in the USA which is a huge market for them

Also the F1 team is run by Andreas Seidl, it’s his job to win, and he doesn’t get involved in anything but F1, so it’s not a distraction in any way