Alpine A522

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: Alpine A522

Redragon wrote:
09 May 2022, 17:16
diffuser wrote:
07 May 2022, 19:47
More cooling for Miami. Ocon's car before he hit the wall.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSJj3bHWYAA ... name=large
Alonso was running different cooling on race, he had the full grills around engine and top of sidepods

https://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content ... ami-f1.jpg

Also Ocon had the grill around the engine on race but only half of them + the ones on top of the sidepods as on your pictures. Similar set up as when he crashed https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... car--1.jpg
The Ocon picture is from FP3 which would have been a little cooler that Quali. They changed thier cooling for almost every FP in Miami. Alonso was running the same Cooling in the race as he did for Quali. Don't even know if that's something they can't change in Parc Ferme. Would be surprised that they could.

Mansell89

Any word on what Pat Fry and the team are choosing as their development direction?

I know he said he was deliberately taking a centred approach so as not to go too far down a dead end and then follow what worked for others, but it’s been a little quiet to be honest.

I was so excited for this team and am disappointed they haven’t hit the ground running near the front, but let’s see how they evolve

diffuser

Mansell89 wrote:
09 May 2022, 22:39
Any word on what Pat Fry and the team are choosing as their development direction?

I know he said he was deliberately taking a centred approach so as not to go too far down a dead end and then follow what worked for others, but it’s been a little quiet to be honest.

I was so excited for this team and am disappointed they haven’t hit the ground running near the front, but let’s see how they evolve
I doudt we'll get a heads up on any changes for Spain. We had a new rear wing for Miami and nobody knew until we saw it.

Spoutnik

'Tis me, just me.

Would it be reasonable to say the current Alpine sidepod layout (at least the rear end) sort of utilises the coanda effect similarly to the sidepods/exhausts in the last iterations of the V8 cars in 2012/2013?

diffuser

'Tis me, just me. wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:42
Would it be reasonable to say the current Alpine sidepod layout (at least the rear end) sort of utilises the coanda effect similarly to the sidepods/exhausts in the last iterations of the V8 cars in 2012/2013?
Yes but why? The air will accelerate through the tighter space resulting a drop in pressure. Not sure how it helps. Maybe in pulls more down from the layer above?

diffuser

diffuser wrote:
11 May 2022, 15:25
Mansell89 wrote:
09 May 2022, 22:39

I doudt we'll get a heads up on any changes for Spain. We had a new rear wing for Miami and nobody knew until we saw it.

OK I stand corrected ...

https://formula1news.co.uk/alpine-upgra ... lverstone/
“There are pieces for Spain, which is the sixth race. There will be pieces two races later [in Azerbaijan], and in the tenth [at the British Grand Prix].

“It will be a constant flow of evolutions.”

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... iami-2022/
Deeper and softer
The car is one of the most forgiving in the field. The Alpine also works with a higher ground clearance. Bouncing is not such a big issue as it is at Mercedes, for example. "We drive a bit higher and harder than we would like. We drive well in the high-speed corners, but the stiffness costs us in slow corners. Our goal is to reduce the ground clearance and make the chassis softer," says Alpine- Team boss Otmar Szafnauer.

PlatinumZealot

Interesting.
They are doing one of two things to stop porpoising here.. Bleeding the floor after the first diffuser kick, or letting in air/vortices.. It's any ones guess at this point.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 May 2022, 20:11
Interesting.
They are doing one of two things to stop porpoising here.. Bleeding the floor after the first diffuser kick, or letting in air/vortices.. It's any ones guess at this point.
I guess you don't like Otmar's explanation of a higher ride hieght and too hard suspension.

'Tis me, just me.

diffuser wrote:
13 May 2022, 03:55
'Tis me, just me. wrote:
Yes but why? The air will accelerate through the tighter space resulting a drop in pressure. Not sure how it helps. Maybe in pulls more down from the layer above?
For me the goal here would seem to be to increase the efficiency of the diffuser by reducing the air pressure around the beam wing area.

diffuser

'Tis me, just me. wrote:
14 May 2022, 18:04
diffuser wrote:
13 May 2022, 03:55
'Tis me, just me. wrote:
For me the goal here would seem to be to increase the efficiency of the diffuser by reducing the air pressure around the beam wing area.
Maybe, I just don't understand it. Remember that accelerating air drops pressure and creates lift. Now I know they don't want lift. So maybe the way they're accelerating the air doesn't create lift? Secondary effects?

My guess is the accelerated air create a drop in pressure that pull more in from the space between the sidepod and the tire. I am no expert.

Redragon

New rear wing confirmed for Spain and some weight reduction

AeroDynamic

AR3-GP

The big 3 teams have a simpler DRS mechanism. Why does the Alpine one have such large blockage and the second linkage?

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
19 May 2022, 16:10
The big 3 teams have a simpler DRS mechanism. Why does the Alpine one have such large blockage and the second linkage?
Really ? looks similliar to me.