2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Remember people thought making the McLaren Mercedes SLR made the F1 team slower.
F1 is dead.

McG

Stu wrote:
14 May 2022, 11:18
Use the F1Technical Discord, works much better for chatter than the forum.
Discord is trash. A little integrated pop up box on this site would do the trick. Any admins here capable of such a monumental task?
F1 is dead.

Moving Chicane

McL-H wrote:
14 May 2022, 12:05
Mansell89 wrote:
14 May 2022, 11:53
So we’ve just acquired the Mercedes Formula E team, which will become McLaren Formula E- pretty big news I thought!
I am afraid the team entering all these other racing competitions shifts focus from F1. Does McLaren still have the ambition to win F1 championships or does it just seeks to do well in racing in a broader perspective? I don’t care about the brand winning FE or Xtreme E titles tbh.. I’d rather have them finally building a great F1 car again. Just my 2 cents, but perhaps I’m missing the bigger perspective.
What about all the knowledge from different series they will gather under "one roof"? Of course, suspension from Extreme E has nothing to do with F1 but some other parts/ideas/etc. could help...
“This paper will no doubt be found interesting by those who take an interest in it.”
John Dalton

mwillems

Moving Chicane wrote:
14 May 2022, 18:33
McL-H wrote:
14 May 2022, 12:05
Mansell89 wrote:
14 May 2022, 11:53
So we’ve just acquired the Mercedes Formula E team, which will become McLaren Formula E- pretty big news I thought!
I am afraid the team entering all these other racing competitions shifts focus from F1. Does McLaren still have the ambition to win F1 championships or does it just seeks to do well in racing in a broader perspective? I don’t care about the brand winning FE or Xtreme E titles tbh.. I’d rather have them finally building a great F1 car again. Just my 2 cents, but perhaps I’m missing the bigger perspective.
What about all the knowledge from different series they will gather under "one roof"? Of course, suspension from Extreme E has nothing to do with F1 but some other parts/ideas/etc. could help...
Not to mention using these other series for "apprenticeships" for technical staff and for drivers.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Balalu

The F1 team have been given all the resources necessary by the management. The other series should not be a problem. They are separate groups under a larger umbrella.

I believe Zak and co. know what they are doing. It shows that they do.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Emag

Kind of annoying that there are no words regarding the specifics of upgrades McLaren is bringing in Barcelona. As far as assumptions go, I would say the floor will be changing. And if the "bargeboard" bits change alongside the strakes on the tunnel entrance then I guess that brings tweaks to the front wing as well.

And obviously, I am hoping they finally bring a more refined version of their front brake ducts as well.

_cerber1

Personally, I'm not expecting anything serious, as usual, all our hopes will be dashed when we see a couple of minor wings here and there. :roll:

Darth-Piekus

Don't count your chickens before they hatch cerber. Let's wait and see what the upgrades bring.

adrianjordan

Balalu wrote:
15 May 2022, 13:32
The F1 team have been given all the resources necessary by the management. The other series should not be a problem. They are separate groups under a larger umbrella.

I believe Zak and co. know what they are doing. It shows that they do.
Agreed.

This is almost like someone complaining that Yamaha have developed a new range of guitars rather than focusing on their MotoGP bike.

McLaren are taking over an established team. I suspect it's basically an administrative change and the Merc FE team will continue much as it currently is and not drain any resources from the F1 team. I mean they're spec cars, so it's not like they're going to be competing for wind tunnel or CFD time.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

MrGapes

Emag wrote:
15 May 2022, 21:14
Kind of annoying that there are no words regarding the specifics of upgrades McLaren is bringing in Barcelona. As far as assumptions go, I would say the floor will be changing. And if the "bargeboard" bits change alongside the strakes on the tunnel entrance then I guess that brings tweaks to the front wing as well.

And obviously, I am hoping they finally bring a more refined version of their front brake ducts as well.
To be fair McLaren is usually pretty reserved about there development route during season, people or journalist are generally more interested in what's going on at Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes

Lucky

Emag wrote:

runningmanz

Great team profile video. Zak is a funny guy. Seems like he would be a great boss, same with Seidl.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 62066.html

runningmanz

Lucky wrote:
16 May 2022, 04:39
Emag wrote:

Nice! Hope its true and the updates work.

mwillems

runningmanz wrote:
16 May 2022, 07:58
Lucky wrote:
16 May 2022, 04:39
Emag wrote:

Nice! Hope its true and the updates work.
I saw that before, but I translated it and it means floor (Actually it said bottom, but I assume that means floor) and front brake duct, not just new front brake ducts as per the in tweet translation.

Hopefully the floor is able to deliver more downforce, whether it be from a minor change or a major upgrade, I don't care.

The car seemed to be quite competitive at Barcelona anyway so I'm optimistic that we will have a half decent weekend but realistically any upgrades we get are only going to help us fight for 3rd at best, and realistically that is too much and the best we might get is consolidating fourth.

This time next year we will be millionaires, Rodney! Or Constructors champions. Google only fools and horses if you don't get that reference.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.