Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
morefirejules08

Re: Mercedes W13

Because you still have the compressibility of the tyres for a start.

siskue2005

Just a photoshop i made where the merc can still maintain their zero pods, but have a redbull and ferrari style sidepods mid section and tale section where it will hold the lateral part of the floor and stop it from fluttering.
Also have added a normal stay and floor edge cut outs like Redbull.

This extra sidepods can also have a hidden multiple floor stays like the redbulls.

This way it will be cheaper for them and wont have to restructure their entire sidepods

original

photoshopped
Last edited by siskue2005 on 19 May 2022, 01:09, edited 2 times in total.

PlatinumZealot

Image not working.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

siskue2005

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
19 May 2022, 01:06
Image not working.
I have updated

AR3-GP

swarren7 wrote: ↑
18 May 2022, 23:23
Here is my thinking. If porpoising is coming from the floor stalling when the car hits the ground why not put some type of spacer/block in the rear shocks that only allow the car to compress so much preventing the car from ever hitting the ground hence the floor would not stall and no more porpoising. Explain why this would not work.
You can't drive around on bump stops. There's no ride control.

e30ernest

morefirejules08 wrote: ↑
18 May 2022, 21:57
Supposedly The W13 at todays filming day
That looks like a really tall rear wing. I'm not sure if that has been used before? DRS flap looks huge. Looks like they are still running that Miami front wing.

SuperCNJ

AR3-GP wrote: ↑
19 May 2022, 01:46
Here is my thinking. If porpoising is coming from the floor stalling when the car hits the ground why not put some type of spacer/block in the rear shocks that only allow the car to compress so much preventing the car from ever hitting the ground hence the floor would not stall and no more porpoising. Explain why this would not work.
I suggested some time ago that they could look at using aggressive progressive springs in their suspension which allow the normal compression up to a point beyond which the resistance increases significantly. That way they still have ride control but doesn't let the car get too low. But it's probably too simple and I'm sure Merc with their clever team of Engineers would have considered this if it were viable.

However I then had another idea - why not adopt a similar system to the Specialized Brain suspension system which has been used on mountain bikes for many years. This is a fully mechanical/hydraulic system which adjusts the stiffness to the load input. It can differentiate between load applied from above the bike (e.g. from the rider) and bumps from the road beneath and adjusts accordingly. Just a thought!

warpomex

SuperCNJ wrote: ↑
19 May 2022, 02:32
AR3-GP wrote: ↑
19 May 2022, 01:46
I suggested some time ago that they could look at using aggressive progressive springs in their suspension which allow the normal compression up to a point beyond which the resistance increases significantly. That way they still have ride control but doesn't let the car get too low. But it's probably too simple and I'm sure Merc with their clever team of Engineers would have considered this if it were viable.

However I then had another idea - why not adopt a similar system to the Specialized Brain suspension system which has been used on mountain bikes for many years. This is a fully mechanical/hydraulic system which adjusts the stiffness to the load input. It can differentiate between load applied from above the bike (e.g. from the rider) and bumps from the road beneath and adjusts accordingly. Just a thought!

The Brain locks the suspension from chassis input (downward movement) from a weight in the damper, your car wouldn't get to ride low from downforce. Assuming it comes in late in the suspension travel, you'd still get the same issue as with rubber stops... suspension and tyre deflection. There is a reason why mountainbikes are moving to intelligent or electronically controlled suspension systems. You can't have those on F1.

Spoutnik

pursue_one's

Double T-tray

GrizzleBoy

New splitter, double "T-Tray", finally some floor edge flaps.

Anything else?

organic

pursue_one's wrote: ↑
19 May 2022, 11:48
Double T-tray
The t-tray has gone from single and extremely minimal to double t-tray and the lower element is extremely blocky. Reminds me of McLaren's. Wonder if this is a general shift to a more "realistic" approach rather than chasing the figures they see in the wind tunnel

SirBastianVettel

Floor update:

morefirejules08

I see Mercedes have gone to the extreme low drag tyres with centre groves to improve airflow between the track and tyres.

adrianjordan

hollus wrote: ↑
18 May 2022, 21:59
Once more. What would it take to get posters to actually pay attention to the thread rules?
Thunder wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2022, 12:37
https://i.imgur.com/NVPF2Qz.png

This is the official Mercedes W13 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the W13 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2022 Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team thread.
A minor miracle??!! 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ