Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
_cerber1

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

11hp :(

hurril

_cerber1 wrote:
19 May 2022, 10:37
11hp :(
I'm just baffled they're able to take measurements to that precision.

etusch

I can not understand those power rating comments that says "Ferrari is most powerfull" from winter testings to now.
At last race Ferrari were not even able to attacking Vers' car with tow + drs. Perez got an engine issue which cost him 30 hp according to team and still he was performing level of Sainz and could attack him. Redbull was faster with full load of fuel while they also have car weight issue while redbull has longer ratios compared to ferrari's shorter ones.

AR3-GP

They are only talking about peak numbers. There's much more to a PU than the peak power output.

PlatinumZealot

According to Andrew Green, all the engines are close and the Mercedes is not lacking in power.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2022, 15:40
According to Andrew Green, all the engines are close and the Mercedes is not lacking in power.
That's promising then. Atleast Ferrari is not miles off in the distance as many including myself have feared.

LM10

etusch wrote:
19 May 2022, 14:11
I can not understand those power rating comments that says "Ferrari is most powerfull" from winter testings to now.
At last race Ferrari were not even able to attacking Vers' car with tow + drs. Perez got an engine issue which cost him 30 hp according to team and still he was performing level of Sainz and could attack him. Redbull was faster with full load of fuel while they also have car weight issue while redbull has longer ratios compared to ferrari's shorter ones.
So everyone is wrong, but your simple interpretation based on straight line speed in a single race is right?

etusch

LM10 wrote:
19 May 2022, 15:55
etusch wrote:
So everyone is wrong, but your simple interpretation based on straight line speed in a single race is right?
If you are watching F1, if I were speak only last race, you should not say this. At bahrain Vers was catching and overtaking Lec from long away. Maybe bigger than 1 sec gap.
If straight line speed ( which is not my only base ) not a indicator for engine power, which is the indicator of that. Turning speed ?
Last edited by etusch on 19 May 2022, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone

etusch wrote:
LM10 wrote:
etusch wrote:
If you are watching F1, if I were speak only last race, you should not say this. At bahrain Vers was catching and overtaking Lec from long away. Maybe bigger than 1 sec gap.
We’re definitely not watching the same races :).

Ver v Lec over 47 laps with no drs on back straight, average speed in Miami.

In Bahrain Ferrari had high DF AND Lec was braking early to get DRS before the second straight.

etusch

dialtone wrote:
19 May 2022, 16:12
etusch wrote:
LM10 wrote:

https://f1pace.com/p/2022-miami-gp-stra ... box_2.webp

In Bahrain Ferrari had high DF AND Lec was braking early to get DRS before the second straight.
At your datasheet was Lec behind Vers? did lec taking tow from him ? Or that was same for whole race ? Vers just waited and when needed easily overtook him. Maybe "avarage" is not a good data for what we are discussing.
Whatever it is; according to your approach how can you explain why lec couldn't attacked to vers while he had same straight line speed?

At bahrain Lec braking earlier to take DRS but why. If Vers were not able to overtake him if he didn't brake earlier ? Lec were overtaken anyway. He could reovertake by that but he could it hardly and everybody surprised how easy Vers overtaken. Redbull's tyre management and brake cooling issues prevent him to go harder. Otherwise that race also was a win for Verstappen.

dialtone

etusch wrote:
dialtone wrote:
etusch wrote: If you are watching F1, if I were speak only last race, you should not say this. At bahrain Vers was catching and overtaking Lec from long away. Maybe bigger than 1 sec gap.

At your datasheet was Lec behind Vers? did lec taking tow from him ? Or that was same for whole race ? Vers just waited and when needed easily overtook him. Maybe "avarage" is not a good data for what we are discussing.

At bahrain Lec braking earlier to take DRS but why. If Vers were not able to overtake him if he didn't brake earlier ? Lec were overtaken anyway. He could reovertake by that but he could it hardly and everybody surprised how easy Vers overtaken. Redbull's tyre management and brake cooling issues prevent him to go harder. Otherwise that race also was a win for Verstappen.
This is not about merc engine so we should discuss somewhere else. These cars have barely any tow beyond 1.5s and zero after 2s. Out of 47 laps Lec was behind Ver with no drs for maybe 5 laps. Australia was the same regarding top speed and so was Imola. After Jeddah cars didn’t run wildly different DF packages any more. If we want to continue we should do in a different thread, but I’m good here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LM10

etusch wrote:
19 May 2022, 16:08
LM10 wrote:
etusch wrote:
If straight line speed ( which is not my only base ) not a indicator for engine power, which is the indicator of that. Turning speed ?
Low to mid speed acceleration, when traction does not play a role anymore, is the biggest indicator for engine power.

gruntguru

AR3-GP wrote:
19 May 2022, 14:13
They are only talking about peak numbers. There's much more to a PU than the peak power output.
Not a lot. All the engines have a very flat power curve over the rpm range needed.

Response and inertia would be very similar too.
je suis charlie

gruntguru

dialtone wrote:

Wow - that graph shows a 4.7 km/hr difference in corner exit speed - that is huge.
je suis charlie

dialtone

gruntguru wrote:
20 May 2022, 01:46
dialtone wrote:

Wow - that graph shows a 4.7 km/hr difference in corner exit speed - that is huge.
yeah, out of T16 RBR had a massive advantage in traction thanks to better tyre management, that's how RBR manages to pass.