2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Raleigh wrote:
20 May 2022, 11:27
JordanMugen wrote:
20 May 2022, 10:51
Ashwinv16 wrote:
20 May 2022, 06:53
RB18 vs AMR22B
Did AMR really think their original design had no potential to be a top midfield or front runner at all, given they must have immediately decided to put all their efforts into copying a (rather different) rival design? :?:
Dan Fallows was leading the RBR 2022 aero design, he's naturally going to want to continue that design philosophy rather than start over on a completely new aero concept.
Remember Fallows move was being challenged by RBR foralmost a year and that ended in what was to be a 6months gardening leave. Prior to that they knew he was trying to leave and therefore had placed him on some obscure project not related to F1.

TimW

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

The similarities are just too big and in too high level of detail to be a coincidence. Proofing it though is another matter, and I think that is what shrewd businessman Lawrence Stroll is relying on.

TimmTurbo

The car designs will be fairly similar next year already. It is a nobrainer for AM to do it now and hopefully understand the new flow structure while being able to run it in real life. There is pretty much nothing to loose for them this year.

Andy green said at the very beginning of 2022 testing that they do have some sort of modular design philosophy in this car to be able to adopt to different sidepod shapes. They knew they might have to in the course of this season.

For me this is a very effective way. Dont ride a dead horse. Altough i do not expect them to seriously race within the top 6 positions they maybe able to challenge Alpha and McLaren.

It will be very interesting to see their bouncing issue now. I do not expect them to significantly improve as the bouncing is generated by the flow structure of the floor.

Next thing nobody is talking about is Monaco. I presume AM would be able to run the car with the designed ride height as the bouncing reportedly starts around 240 kph which we bearly see in Monaco.

101FlyingDutchman

diffuser wrote:
20 May 2022, 13:31
Raleigh wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

Did AMR really think their original design had no potential to be a top midfield or front runner at all, given they must have immediately decided to put all their efforts into copying a (rather different) rival design? :?:
Dan Fallows was leading the RBR 2022 aero design, he's naturally going to want to continue that design philosophy rather than start over on a completely new aero concept.
Remember Fallows move was being challenged by RBR foralmost a year and that ended in what was to be a 6months gardening leave. Prior to that they knew he was trying to leave and therefore had placed him on some obscure project not related to F1.
Also, I seem to recall ferrari saying they had mercs concept in windtunnel but decided against it. It’s not beyond the wit of men to have a few different initial concepts in windtunnel. (There are only really 3 major design concepts at play with current Regs it seems) But the carbon copies of certain elements of very detailed areas are going to raise some eyebrows.

diffuser

To me this looks more like the original Alpine sidepod, prior to thier change, with the add Rib from RBR. Both RBR and the 2nd Gen Alpine Sidepod have a change in slope, while the AMR doesn't look like it does change slope angle.

To me this looks like thier own design, Copied ideas from others ? yes, but made it thier own.

Raleigh

diffuser wrote:
20 May 2022, 13:31
Raleigh wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

The new generation cars have been under development since roughly late 2019, even if Dan wasn't directly involved with the final RB18 he'll be instantly familiar with the aero concept.

And given that he was only released to start work at Aston this April I expect that the cloning was done by the existing aero team to give Dan the best possible starting point.

RZS10

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ull-kopie/

My guess is that the overall "wide sidepod" concept was what they had in the tunnel, and then all the smaller bits like the double 'bargeboard', the dip, the mirrors, the floor edge were then incorporated

diffuser

AeroDynamic wrote:
20 May 2022, 13:14
To me it looks like a cross of the RBR and the early Alpine sidepods.

Both the RBR and the new Alpine sidepods have a mid-isdepod change in slope angle. While the AMR has this continous slope.

PlatinumZealot

AeroDynamic wrote:
20 May 2022, 13:14
So wait. How is the Aston Martin supposed to have The upgraded RedBull sidpods from last year November? crazy...

I remember back in February Green saying the Aston Martin upgrade will look nothing like the launch car too!

This means that they had a concept from before* Dan Fallows that was similar to the RedBull and that is was refined after the season starts
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TimmTurbo

By looking at Sebs onboard it does not seem to have to much bouncing. He is giving it full beans on the straights now. Maybe the ride height still is not as low as they target. Maybe they will lower it until they see the effect coming.

LM10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:14
chrisc90 wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:03
At least they copied a good car this time round!

Be very interesting if the porpoising is under control like it is on the RB. If it does bounce, we can safely say that the suspension is doing the trick.

Nah. If it were suspension they wouldn't need to to change the bodywork at all.
Why wouldn’t they change? After all their goal is not only to solve porpoising, but also to get faster.
Their previous concept was a failure so they decided to copy another concept.

PlatinumZealot

LM10 wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:44
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:14
chrisc90 wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:03
At least they copied a good car this time round!

Be very interesting if the porpoising is under control like it is on the RB. If it does bounce, we can safely say that the suspension is doing the trick.

Nah. If it were suspension they wouldn't need to to change the bodywork at all.
Why wouldn’t they change? After all their goal is not only to solve porpoising, but also to get faster.
Their previous concept was a failure so they decided to copy another concept.
Just have to keep track of the FIA upgrade sheet to see when they change suspension, then we will know.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Swed3120

RZS10 wrote:
20 May 2022, 13:56
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ull-kopie/

My guess is that the overall "wide sidepod" concept was what they had in the tunnel, and then all the smaller bits like the double 'bargeboard', the dip, the mirrors, the floor edge were then incorporated
What a joke, so plan for next year is to dump some random carbon fiber waste into the wind tunnel in November, so you can then copy whatever is fastest, claim you dreamt it up and get away Scot free

continuum16

So we take this as typical Marko waffle or something more serious?

To claim that you actually have evidence is pretty strong wording; I’m sure Fallows could not have done this in only a month. I think it’s only a matter of time before we get another Lawrence Stroll prepared statement video :wtf:
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

SmallSoldier

continuum16 wrote:
20 May 2022, 15:45
So we take this as typical Marko waffle or something more serious?

To claim that you actually have evidence is pretty strong wording; I’m sure Fallows could not have done this in only a month. I think it’s only a matter of time before we get another Lawrence Stroll prepared statement video :wtf:
If the claim would have came from anyone other than Marko, I would have gave it more credit… But he is known for this kind of inflammatory comments.