Nitro One Wheel Drive - Top Fuel Drag Bikes

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
johnny comelately

Nitro One Wheel Drive - Top Fuel Drag Bikes

During the lull in proceedings if I can gingerly insert this amazing series as this has just come out.
There has been some politics with the bikes and the NHRA, whats new, think Indy cars
So we see the return of Larry McBride to this full blown NHRA meeting, he has never stopped racing and is now a 64 year old spring chicken. I would urge interested people to check out his shop video to appreciate how this incredible technology gets developed on a shoestring (I will post a link later).
Presenting this is Jack Korpela one of the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic people in the motor racing game. A one man band whose father used to race and he himself did too.
At this point it would be good to compare to F1: the technology to go so quick, but opposite in terms of efficiency; the total lack of money from a disappointing but diehard crowd attraction, which seems to be a product of the neck snapping brevity of the races maybe? Compare to the potential that Bernie Ecclestone saw back in the day.
Globally the Swedes, Brits and Aussies are competitive too.
1500bhp and they aim at 60MPH in 60 feet in 1 second
5.61 @268 MilesPH at this meeting. He has done 5.50 seconds at 264 MPH in 2019

johnny comelately

Re: Nitro One Wheel Drive - Top Fuel Drag Bikes

FYI: A background story about McBride
https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nhra/a3 ... ag-racing/
Last edited by johnny comelately on 21 May 2022, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

johnny comelately

A surprising shop tour of McBride's relatively meagre operation:

johnny comelately

A bit more of a technical insight

Airshifter

I thought drag bikes were insane well before they made it to this level. I can't imagine how much that thing is being pushed around by that big meat on the back.

I actually thought about going to this race, haven't seen the big boys in years. Like many I tired of the games being played with the regs in Pro Stock trying to do anything to let the twins compete. I get HD is a US company, but the approach just sucked, and proved nothing to people that understood the games being played.

Their shop is 25 minutes from my house, looks like they have plenty of eye candy if you can get in!

johnny comelately

Larry just keeps on doing it, nearly 266 MPH

Maritimer

Nitro bikes are old news, I've seen the nitro Harleys a few times. Good racing but not in the level of the dragster and funny cars.

johnny comelately

johnny comelately

The shame of Australian tracks...
and youth being Chris's secret :wink: