2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

GrizzleBoy wrote:
20 May 2022, 20:17
VacuousFlamboyant wrote:
20 May 2022, 18:41
Big relief in the team. Hamilton, Russel and Toto couldn't hide their smile. Hamilton said after FP2 that they could potencially deliver even better results once they get the grips with the balance of the car with the upgrades, setup-wise. I will root for Ham this weekend to continue his Barcelona streak. Records are meant to be broken!
Hmmm, I'm sure I heard someone mention something like that in response to someone saying the car seemed lazy at the front after FP1.

Oh wait! It was me!
GrizzleBoy wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:52
F1Krof wrote:
20 May 2022, 14:46
Pace wise, so far ~7 tenths behind. Not encouraging. The car seems lazy at the front.
Could be a good thing then as the car seemed very unstable at the rear during testing.

Upgrades could have caused a balance shift with a rear aero that actually works (fingers crossed) and they may need to set up differently.
I should apply for a new job as a professional analyst.

Just ignore all the stuff I said pre testing where I proclaimed the Ferrari to be overly draggy and the Mercedes vice versa.

Did I hear Russel saying that they are still porpoisijg in corners though in the sky ppost FP2 interview?

Looking at footage of the fast laps I didn't really notice any.
It is still porpoising in turns 3 and the fast right hander before the back straight. You can hear it. But yeah, if they can just keep fine tuning this, I think we are in for a real treat of a season. Would be so cool with three teams fighting it out.

ringo

Similar to the ferrari in australia in the fast corners. Progress is being mad.
They just need to tune some more so it onlybounces above 310 kph or some speed that it wont be a big deal.
I Would like for them to explain what thet did wrong and how they corrected it.
For Sure!!

VacuousFlamboyant
VacuousFlamboyant

There's a bit of instability through the exit of turns 3, 7 and 13. High speed corners. The car loses speed thereafter. No porpoising on straights at least. One thing has to be noted, race pace seems very good considering they suffered to warm up (M) and (H) tyres. Look at the snap Ham (M) had at turn 3. (Race runs were closer, but it's anyone's guess. Left graphic may not be representative of race pace). Car setup had a lot of understeer, so it could be dialed out.

Lewis (S) could sneak into the top of FP2 if he wasn't hampered by Alonso at turn 9, that cost him at least 150ms.

De Jokke

Re: Mercedes W13

Anybody else surprised why an 8x wcc team:

*has underestimated purpoising compared to rival teams
*could only bring a modified wing after a number of races instead after the winter tests
*has its engine only where it wants it to be from race 6 onwards

Seriously baffled by these amateurish approach to 2022, you would expect more from an 8x wcc team.

I'm not here to bash the team but it has to be said: they missed the boat by a large margin this season.

I really hope they can still compete this season with fer and rbr:
+they can now hone the setup with the modified bits
+they can now bring a raft of updates which are for performance, not for purpoising fixing anymore
-they might be done this season, if the rumour that they are close to the limit of the budget cap already, is true
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

De Jokke wrote:
21 May 2022, 10:47

*could only bring a modified wing after a number of races instead after the winter tests

- all the teams were surprised with the purpoising. As mercedes did an "extreme" apporach they were hitted most, so thats not a real surprise i think.

- Thats the thing that surprises me the most. they are kinda slow with everything. Driving with an too big rear wing for weeks is not something you would expect from the best team for a decade. If its haas, okay, im not surprised.. but mercedes? Most obvious argument for this is the less windtunnel time and the budget cap, but anyway, i think you can handle that different.

Lets see what will happen today. for now it looks like the updates are working well, but friday doesnt say much. If they could fix the issues and for that can drive a perfect setup for the first time we will see if this car has the potential.

des_1986
des_1986

KiLLu12258 wrote:
21 May 2022, 11:24
De Jokke wrote:

- all the teams were surprised with the purpoising. As mercedes did an "extreme" apporach they were hitted most, so thats not a real surprise i think.

- Thats the thing that surprises me the most. they are kinda slow with everything. Driving with an too big rear wing for weeks is not something you would expect from the best team for a decade. If its haas, okay, im not surprised.. but mercedes? Most obvious argument for this is the less windtunnel time and the budget cap, but anyway, i think you can handle that different.

Lets see what will happen today. for now it looks like the updates are working well, but friday doesnt say much. If they could fix the issues and for that can drive a perfect setup for the first time we will see if this car has the potential.
They had upgrades planned for earlier but delayed or cancelled them when they realised porpoising was such a big issue.

Quantum

What went before doesn't go for now.

The team had to isolate the problems. The porpoising was the main problem, and they had data reams for the wings and chassis specs they used for the first few races.

The main problem for Mercedes was the budget cap. You can be throwing upgrades on the car the "might" work when you haven't fully understood the cause of the problem.
In a 22 race season, and as the cars will likely form the basis for 2023, upgrades need to work first time.
I'd say the results we saw in both sessions yesterday definitely back up that methodology.
"Interplay of triads"

pursue_one's

Then in Spain came the long-awaited new bottom - analyzed on yesterday's day - which actually allowed a good step forward in porpoising management, evident from the first laps, and thus better drivability of the car. Getting rid of porpoising, or at least decisively mitigating it, would allow the world champion team's men to concentrate on optimizing the setup of the two W13s without focusing on major compromises, which have been forced so far. It would not open a door, but rather a gateway.

"We have been working hard in both factories. We are improving from the chassis point of view, but also the work done in Brixworth has made up ground on the rivals." Thus expressed Mercedes Team Principal Toto Wolff at the end of the day. The package of upgrades seems to have given positive feedback, as well as the introduction of the second power unit-which, as we had anticipated, will unlock extra horsepower potential compared to the previous specification.

Precisely the issue of engine mapping remains an unknown to be verified on the day tomorrow. Already in Miami this issue had reserved a bitter disappointment for Brackley - combined with some problems that emerged as a result of minor setup changes - so much so that George Russell has already warned the rivals. "Ferrari and Red Bull were on lower engine modes," he revealed without much ado, putting a bit of a damper on expectations for tomorrow.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

https://www.formu1a.uno/il-nuovo-fondo- ... -mercedes/

carisi2k

From what I have heard they haven't solved the real issue which is in the corners. This suggests to me that they really haven't found the root cause of their problem.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

carisi2k wrote:
21 May 2022, 12:14
From what I have heard they haven't solved the real issue which is in the corners. This suggests to me that they really haven't found the root cause of their problem.
Well being able to get the floor dragging along the ground through corners without feeling like you're driving a pogo stick will surely be the first step lol.

They've really and truly only just been able to set the car up to work as it should just driving in a straight line so it isn't implausible that they might need more time to find a new approach to setting up a car that works, vs they weay theyve had to setup for a car that fundamentally didn't work previously.

Or the nightmare scenario could happen and somewhere overnight all the porpoising comes back.

jagunx51

De Jokke wrote:

Seriously baffled by these amateurish approach to 2022, you would expect more from an 8x wcc team.

I'm not here to bash the team but it has to be said: they missed the boat by a large margin this season.

+they can now bring a raft of updates which are for performance, not for purpoising fixing anymore
-they might be done this season, if the rumour that they are close to the limit of the budget cap already, is true
bcause of E10 :?:
............!!!!

Hazmat
Hazmat

With tight budget, limited aero and CFD runs one of the few options open to Mercedes is data collection and that’s exactly what they’ve done gather data methodically and then been very selective with how they’ve spent their funds to try and bring about a fix.

The reality is that they won’t have spent as much on upgrades over these for six races as other teams, Without a direction to go in there was no point.

Spending the way out of trouble simply isn’t an option if they can only afford to introduce two new rear wings do you want to make damn sure that the wings you introduce are going to work with the package rather than working with the problem.

As far as the engine goes yes Toto has said They have done some more work at Brixworth but also if your car is overly draggy and porpoising very easily at lower speed there’s no point applying a higher power mode until you fix the porpoising

Hopefully the rest of this weekend goes smoothly and they leave Spain with a definitive direction and baseline to now start applying extra performance to where they thought the car should be

tpe
tpe

I would like to learn what they did with a frozen engine!
Yes, there are parts that are not frozen, but do they give you so much performance?

PhillipM
PhillipM

De Jokke wrote:
All teams do that, it's constant revision, apart from RB/Honda, who obviously went risky to start with and look what it landed them on the engine side.

De Jokke

jagunx51 wrote:
21 May 2022, 13:01
De Jokke wrote:

bcause of E10 :?:
no excuse, look at what rbr and fer did
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!