Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

The curvatures and are actually quite different if one looks closely. Even the floor has slightly different dimensions. It's not a carbon copy as much as one would believe.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

jagunx51

mirror

............!!!!

AeroDynamic

jagunx51

............!!!!

TimW

Quantum wrote:
21 May 2022, 13:00
TimW wrote:
21 May 2022, 12:44
Chuckjr wrote:
21 May 2022, 09:02

So it makes complete sense they landed on a near identical design. .
No it is not. Alpine and AT have the same concept, but different detailing. Independent development will always have different detailing, because the design is interlinked with front wing design, suspension design etc.

If AM had a design with identical detailing in the wind tunnel in November, that can realistically only have been the result of data transfer. The only legal option is that they copied the detailing after the Bahrein test.
Only, its not identical.

The idea might be, but that is not illegal.
I believe this is convergence of an identical idea. But if you look at the pods, they AM tapers down more gently, and the detailing is not 1:1 copied.

RB added a stay onto their bib in the last race, an idea copied from AM which was very similar. Are we to treat that the same?
The identical two outboard floor leading edge strakes, the detailing of those strakes, the identical floor edge, the identical channel in the sidepod (even if not down to the mm), that is to much similarity to arrive to independently. If they had that in the wind tunnel in November, Occam's razor tells us they are guilty of IP theft. If they copied it are after Bahrain, I have no issue with it at all.

wesley123

TimW wrote:
21 May 2022, 13:13
The identical two outboard floor leading edge strakes, the detailing of those strakes, the identical floor edge, the identical channel in the sidepod (even if not down to the mm), that is to much similarity to arrive to independently. If they had that in the wind tunnel in November, Occam's razor tells us they are guilty of IP theft. If they copied it are after Bahrain, I have no issue with it at all.
The teeth on the outboard strake are larger, the slope from this strake is different. Sidepod slope is different, indent in the sidepod is more agressive, sidepod leading edge is different, gills are different, mirror and mounting are different.

There is no reason to assume that AM couldn't have trialed similar solutions in the windtunnel.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

coaster

Inspired by RB? Photogrammetry? Handheld scanned?
Inspired would be my vote as the latter 2 require hours of careful data gathering.

Big Tea

coaster wrote:
21 May 2022, 23:31
Inspired by RB? Photogrammetry? Handheld scanned?
Inspired would be my vote as the latter 2 require hours of careful data gathering.
If the guy involved in designing the Red Bull was in place at AM soon enough, he would have had a pretty good idea what the intention was even if he did not have an exact template. Some of the dimensions are fixed by rules, and some by what needs to be covered so it would be easy to get close. If they were far enough along with the 'other' design it may be was done as a back up and only actually put into production progress after the first or second race
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jagunx51

............!!!!

jagunx51

Aston Martin were “surprised” Red Bull produced similar car design
https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/22/ast ... ar-design/

Aston Martin’s technical director Andrew Green said the team chose to develop two versions of its 2022 car in parallel. The upgrades seen for the first time this weekend were in progress before Red Bull revealed its 2022 design, said Green.
He said the team were surprised to discover Red Bull had produced a concept along similar lines to what they were already developing.
“If you look at the development of the car that is sitting out there right now you’ll see that this has all happened towards the end of last year. Before we’d seen anybody we were on a dual path.

“It came as a shock, a surprise that Red Bull came out with a similar concept, as well. But I think that just reinforced our feeling at the time that of the two paths that that we had open to us, we’d gone the wrong way. And I think that was confirmation of that.”
............!!!!

NAPI10

Aston Martin compromised on cooling with updated F1 "launch car"-
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/asto ... /10308778/

bagajohny

In the Team Principle's Press conference Green said they had very limited setup options with the original AMR22. That is not the case with AMR22B so they think they can find better pace once they find the right setup.
It is just one race that the new car has been on track. So I think with better understanding of the car they will be able to fight in the midfield.

Owen.C93

I also think when the teams say the concept was in the wind tunnel last year. They just mean the downwash sidepods instead of the undercut ones.

Once they saw RB did the same thing then they started copying some of the finer details on floor edge, mirrors, sidepod cooling etc.

Why waste time in the tunnel finessing a downwash sidepod when a leading team has already done that leg work.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

collindsilva

Seems more updates required to extract the full potential.
The front wing is still basic and related to previous design.
If they can get to the front of midfield within 3 to 4 races, maybe change in front suspension can be planned as per RBR in to next year.
The rear suspension will be still a major hinderance.