2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I don't feel like it matters much to be honest. If he was fighting for pole and he missed it because of track limits there then probably Id care.

But as things were going, it was probably going to be a P9-P10 regardless because Magnussen and Bottas were very fast. Didn't lose much on it.

Seerix

Emag wrote:
21 May 2022, 17:52
I don't feel like it matters much to be honest. If he was fighting for pole and he missed it because of track limits there then probably Id care.

But as things were going, it was probably going to be a P9-P10 regardless because Magnussen and Bottas were very fast. Didn't lose much on it.
Exactly my thoughts.
I am more disappointed seeing Kmag and Bot where I'd like to see McL - 1-2 tenths of Per/Ham and clear of midfield.

Hopefully race pace will be better, I don't really know if we can challenge those 2 ahead of Ric?

Mansell89

Only glimmer for me is that there is more PU performance to come when we swap for a new one.

We’ve made a step but we are still a good chunk from ultimate pace

SmallSoldier

A couple of interesting comments from Key:

A) The correlation of the parts brought to Spain was as expected.
B) The car was setup with a Race bias instead of a Qualifying bias.

With the degradation that some teams experienced during practice it might be the smart call, the question is how much progress Daniel and Lando can make with the strategy.

Xero

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 May 2022, 19:47

With the degradation that some teams experienced during practice it might be the smart call, the question is how much progress Daniel and Lando can make with the strategy.
Makes sense since they lost the ability to run their programme through free practice. Did get that impression when they were running long runs in FP3 while everyone else was doing qually sims. The team will unlock performance through understanding and setup in the coming races, it is what it is.

A.J.O

SmallSoldier wrote:

For point B, do you know how the set up Hierarchy works with this team?

Are both garages given a base line to start then go in there own directions from there?
Do both work together?
How much input and how good are either or both drivers on the set up aspect of driving.
I can’t seem to find any decent information on this subject.
I spent 10years setting up super late model oval cars. my data was so primitive compared to what these cars produce I am completely intrigued with how it works at this level.

mwillems

JordanMugen wrote:
21 May 2022, 17:32
Darth-Piekus wrote:
21 May 2022, 16:51
What do you think of the Track Limit? Should they have been more lenient? It was a few milimeters and I don't think Lando would gain if he touched the sand. Maybe I'm mistaken but I feel Mclaren is getting punished too easily.
"White lines define the track" should be a hard rule to avoid ambiguity.
Totally agree. Harsh is also fair for everyone.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:
21 May 2022, 20:11
SmallSoldier wrote:

Makes sense since they lost the ability to run their programme through free practice. Did get that impression when they were running long runs in FP3 while everyone else was doing qually sims. The team will unlock performance through understanding and setup in the coming races, it is what it is.
The fact that correlation is as expected is positive… Interrupted weekend with the issues with Lando in FP2 and probably a couple of races to dial in the new package.

The high track temperatures may have caught them a bit by surprised too.

SmallSoldier

A.J.O wrote:
21 May 2022, 20:31
SmallSoldier wrote:

For point B, do you know how the set up Hierarchy works with this team?

Are both garages given a base line to start then go in there own directions from there?
Do both work together?
How much input and how good are either or both drivers on the set up aspect of driving.
I can’t seem to find any decent information on this subject.
I spent 10years setting up super late model oval cars. my data was so primitive compared to what these cars produce I am completely intrigued with how it works at this level.
I could only speculate really, but from previous seasons comments, they will always start the sessions with the baselines driven by the simulations done before the race, depending on the program the drivers may try different things and go in different directions, but it will depend a lot on what the team is trying to achieve on a particular session, what test items they have planned and whether is a data collection run or performance oriented run.

The debrief is done with both drivers simultaneously, therefore there is data sharing between them and they have access to what the other side of the garage is doing… There is constant feedback for both of them in regards to what the other car is doing, so they are working together. At some point though, the setup will be the one that the driver feels the most comfortable with (we have seeing in previous races that Lando and Daniel have run different wing levels with for example gurney flaps on one car and not on the other.

Only the Team will know how good is the driver’s feedback, but Daniel has a lot of of experience in a couple of different teams and that has to be valuable during debriefing, Lando is often getting the most out of the car, so I’m guessing his feedback is also good for him to achieve the level of performance he has.

We usually see a lot of improvement from Friday to Saturday, an important part of it comes from of course going with higher engine modes, but there is a constant feedback loop back to the factory, where first they will correlate the baseline to the simulator, once they are comfortable with that, several different setup directions will be tried in the simulator during Friday night and those will be applied to the car for FP3, at which point if the setup changes are positive, they may fine tune a bit more before Qualifying.

Emag

Does anyone have the speed traps for qualifying?

It would be interesting to see if they still are towards the bottom even with the new package.

search

Emag wrote:
21 May 2022, 22:29

It would be interesting to see if they still are towards the bottom even with the new package.
pretty far down the list, yeah

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... ds_v01.pdf

Emag

search wrote:
21 May 2022, 22:43
Emag wrote:

pretty far down the list, yeah

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... ds_v01.pdf
Disappointing. Mercedes themselves aren't exactly too fast themselves, but it seems McLaren's concept this year is draggier than it has been the last couple of years.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:

Telemetry shows that even though there are still differences to Ferrari (Leclerc) or RBR (Verstappen) in Qualifying, the gap isn’t as big as it used to be, before the braking point on the main straight they were at 317 km/h compared to 318 km/h from Ferrari and 321 km/h from Verstappen… In the back straight with DRS they are 307, compared to 308 from Ferrari and 309 from RBR… The biggest difference was after turn 3 where they arrived at turn 4 with 282 km/h compared to Leclerc at 287 km/h and Max at 291 km/h… Which could be because of deployment since they are even all the way to 278 km/h and is just in the last few meters that a difference is created.

Macklaren

Interesting dynamic with Lando being unwell this weekend. Didn't help the cause on his side of the garage. If we finish with both cars in the points tomorrow, that will be a good outcome with lots to play for in coming races. I think this update can really put us in the mix with the top 3 by mid June.

Emag

Macklaren wrote:
22 May 2022, 01:34
Interesting dynamic with Lando being unwell this weekend. Didn't help the cause on his side of the garage. If we finish with both cars in the points tomorrow, that will be a good outcome with lots to play for in coming races. I think this update can really put us in the mix with the top 3 by mid June.
Lando being unwell really doesn't look good at all for Daniel, because Lando seemed to have the edge by a couple of tenths regardless.

Jeddah and Australia were very good races for him, but lately he hasn't been up to Lando's speed.