2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 20 - 22

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
22 May 2022, 17:01
chrisc90 wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:58
I can see Perez frustration, but when your on a different tyre strategy, I think it was the right call.

I don’t think Perez would have had the pace to pass max.
I think the team will say exactly that. “Look we pitted Max to release you to attack RUS, otherwise you would have been behind both for quite a few laps”
But seeing PER frustration is quite normal, I’d be pissed off too. If you don’t want to win then you shouldn’t be a F1 driver.
Perez was in front of Max and he was faster. Remember Max had gravelled up his tyres so there was no way he was passing Russell. Perez was actually getting closer and closer.

Yet RedBull switched the drivers around and even gave Max the undercut for good measure.

Let's not forget that amputated third stint Perez had to run.

Perez must be feeling like crap right now. He will keep the seat though, because he knows what he signed up for and there are some perks to driving for RedBull of course.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 May 2022, 17:16
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
I can see Perez frustration, but when your on a different tyre strategy, I think it was the right call.

I think the team will say exactly that. “Look we pitted Max to release you to attack RUS, otherwise you would have been behind both for quite a few laps”
But seeing PER frustration is quite normal, I’d be pissed off too. If you don’t want to win then you shouldn’t be a F1 driver.
Perez was in front of Max and he was faster. Remember Max had gravelled up his tyres so there was no way he was passing Russell. Perez was actually getting closer and closer.

Yet RedBull switched the drivers around and even gave Max the undercut for good measure.

Perez must be feeling like crap right now. He will keep the seat though, because he knows what he signed up for and there are some perks to driving for RedBull of course.
Cashing in big bucks and gets to win if Max is out of the race is his future in the team.

Poleman

What a shame for Charles,he was on for a commanding win.What a pleasure to see Mercedes back at the sharp end (in a way),George is a fantastic driver and hes only going to get better.As for Hamilton what is there to be said, unlucky incident on lap 1 but man what a drive he delivered...The man made almost 1 minute deficit from being dead last.W13 has really strong pace in it as Lewis showed and also shame for the overheating and coolant issues at the end. As for RedBull not really much to comment,fast car made the best of the situation and thus a natural outcome.The place swap was expected although Sergio seemed to not have the pace to challenge for the win but its was still blatant and shame and not needed this early into the season.

Some of topic stuff
The amount of toxicity in some posts is really sickening.You cant even give the man a break even when he is not relevant in a race!The blind hate for Hamilton from a bunch of people is astonishing.Get a life and lay off the hate and even though Lewis has nothing to prove to you,he already has with his carrer and you probably sulk every night reading the stats in his Wikipedia page.
I joined in 2010 and its the first time ive seen such a toxic childish and provocative posts.Had you lot being there back then you would probably have seen the door by now.
Last edited by Poleman on 22 May 2022, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

lh13
lh13

PlatinumZealot wrote:
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Max would've passed easily if his DRS worked every lap, gravel tyres or not. Multiple times when he was very close out of last corner, DRS didn't work.

WaikeCU

Checo deserved it more, because he didn't make any mistakes. While Max spun into the gravel trap, acted like a petulant gamer when his DRS wasn't working properly and he couldn't get passed George.

Imagine people calling Lewis a crybaby for complaining on the team radio... :roll:

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Tvetovnato wrote:
22 May 2022, 17:10
Insane that Hamilton clawed back some 40 seconds on his team mate during the race before the water leak in the end.
Those who think Russell is faster than hamilton are in for a huge surprise. If they were close together he would have blown George away today. Let's be fair.

But the Lewis we've seen so far this year is not the real Lewis. But we saw a glimpse of him today and when he gets in this mode, his race pace is too much for pretty much anyone on the grid in my opinion. As Merc improves the car he will get even hungrier and more focused. Fantastic drive from him, but still unlucky again.

DChemTech
DChemTech

And so, even while Max and Lewis never had a fight during this race, it's the max/lewis narrative that dominates the discussion, including digging up accusations of championship fixing and all that. What a mess. :roll:

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

DChemTech wrote:
22 May 2022, 17:20
And so, even while Max and Lewis never had a fight during this race, it's the max/lewis narrative that dominates the discussion, including digging up accusations of championship fixing and all that. What a mess. :roll:
Yep. Every single time. Try and keep it a fun race thread and ALWAYS gets torpedoed by the same habitual offenders.

NicoS

Poleman wrote:
22 May 2022, 17:17
What a shame for Charles,he was on for a commanding win.What a pleasure to see Mercedes back at the sharp end (in a way),George is a fantastic driver and hes only going to get better.As for Hamilton what is there to be said, unlucky incident on lap 1 but man what a drive he delivered...The man made almost 1 minute deficit from being dead last.W13 has really strong pace in it as Lewis showed and also shame for the overheating and coolant issues at the end. As for RedBull not really much to comment,fast car made the best of the situation and thus a natural outcome.The place swap was expected although Sergio seemed to not have the pace to challenge for the win but its was still blatant and shame and not needed this early into the season.

Some of topic stuff
The amount of toxicity in some post is really sickening.You cant even give the man a break even when he is not relevant in a race!The blind hate for Hamilton from a bunch of people is astonishing.Get a life and lay off the hate and even though Lewis has nothing to prove to you,he already has with his carrer and you probably sulk every night reading the stats in his Wikipedia page.
I joined in 2010 and its the first time ive seen such a toxic childish and provocative posts.Had you lot being there back then you would probably have seen the door by now.
i guess not every one is Lewis fans. I don't think it is a rule to be one.
He did wan to quit the race. we must criticize him for this sad attitude. it is un sporting and a bad example to youngsters.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

NicoS wrote:
22 May 2022, 17:22
Poleman wrote:

Some of topic stuff
The amount of toxicity in some post is really sickening.You cant even give the man a break even when he is not relevant in a race!The blind hate for Hamilton from a bunch of people is astonishing.Get a life and lay off the hate and even though Lewis has nothing to prove to you,he already has with his carrer and you probably sulk every night reading the stats in his Wikipedia page.
i guess not every one is Lewis fans. I don't think it is a rule to be one.
He did wan to quit the race. we must criticize him for this sad attitude. it is un sporting and a bad example to youngsters.
I would agree. I’m a massive fan of Lewis race craft. He’s extremely good at positioning a car generally. One of the all time greats. But his attitude let’s him down at times. And it did today, he would have retired the car and “saved the engine” if his team had let him. Am glad the team kept him out. The pace was blinding.

falonso81

I am frustrated that my team lost an almost sure win, but --- happens.
I am curious as to if Mercedes was showing off a bit today, maybe under fuelling their cars?
Expect them to be back to their normal pace at Monaco.

dialtone
dialtone

Race gap graph

* Leclerc was pulling away, slowly but surely in front, after the first 5 laps Max's tyres were starting to slow down more than Leclerc.
* Leclerc was taking plenty advantage of the Russell train and gaining monster time on everyone, including Hamilton
* Ham's medium stint was very good, although not as good as Verstappen's middle stint.
* Ham's drive was great, however his passing of Sainz wasn't as impressive as it seemed at first, he was basically 10s behind Sainz since lap 14th
* Max was much faster than Perez, however without DRS and the Russell train earlier I'm not sure he would have passed Perez
* Sainz medium tyre stint wasn't good, even if he had started better I doubt he would have held Verstappen behind with such bad traction

good stuff, good job RBR, Ferrari IMHO is the better car right now despite all of RBR updates, Merc is going to be a force.

PlatinumZealot

falonso81 wrote:
22 May 2022, 17:27
I am frustrated that my team lost an almost sure win, but --- happens.
I am curious as to if Mercedes was showing off a bit today, maybe under fuelling their cars?
Expect them to be back to their normal pace at Monaco.
In clean air George was falling one second a lap slower than Charles at one point. Let's say that defensive driving accounted for 3 tenths, that means Merc are still seven thenths behind in race pace.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

lh13
lh13

dialtone wrote:Race gap graph

* Leclerc was pulling away, slowly but surely in front, after the first 5 laps Max's tyres were starting to slow down more than Leclerc.
* Leclerc was taking plenty advantage of the Russell train and gaining monster time on everyone, including Hamilton
* Ham's medium stint was very good, although not as good as Verstappen's middle stint.
* Ham's drive was great, however his passing of Sainz wasn't as impressive as it seemed at first, he was basically 10s behind Sainz since lap 14th
* Max was much faster than Perez, however without DRS and the Russell train earlier I'm not sure he would have passed Perez
* Sainz medium tyre stint wasn't good, even if he had started better I doubt he would have held Verstappen behind with such bad traction

good stuff, good job RBR, Ferrari IMHO is the better car right now despite all of RBR updates, Merc is going to be a force.
Thanks

WaikeCU

NicoS wrote:
22 May 2022, 17:22
Poleman wrote:

Some of topic stuff
No, we don't.

I'm just pointing at the Max fans/Lewis haters for not crediting an outstanding drive, but fueling the hate on what was a brilliant Lewis' comeback drive this afternoon.