2022 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
holeindalip
holeindalip

Re: 2022 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 27 - 29

Juzh wrote:
25 May 2022, 00:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2022, 00:17
Mercedes side pods should come into full force here! Massive barn door wings with minimal drag!
They were trash in S3 in Barcelona. There was a technical explanation as to why somewhere out there.
I believe someone said since the ride height was so low the springs were stiffer(don’t quote me on that)

Airshifter

hollus wrote:
24 May 2022, 23:43
Bold prediction: there will be genuine on track overtakings. Several of them (several as in 3 or more). Between cars on different tire strategies or massively out of place. (and a very pleased Ross Brawn).
Bold isn't even the word!

As much as I like the history, the lack of on track action and passing opportunities put Monaco way down on my list of good tracks for F1.

But I hope you are right.

zibby43
zibby43

Juzh wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mercedes side pods should come into full force here! Massive barn door wings with minimal drag!
They were trash in S3 in Barcelona. There was a technical explanation as to why somewhere out there.
They weren’t trash there in the race.

It was in qualifying, and the explanation was as simple as taking too much out of the tires earlier in the lap.

The Barcelona S3 predictor thing needs to die. It’s played out. Cars bring specific setups, steering, etc. to Monaco.

PlatinumZealot

Juzh wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
This is because of setup. They simply have to revert to previous settings. Look out for that this weekend.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

With huge cars, no overtaking, and free choice of starting tyre, how many think the top 6 will start on the hardest compound?

ringo

Cars will be out of place because some fast cars will crash in qualifying.
Wouldnt be suprised to see Leclerc in the wall again or Max.
Checo and Sainz have their best chance of winning a race here. So does Hamilton or Russel.
For Sure!!

Chuckjr

Zynerji wrote:
24 May 2022, 13:48
Mogster wrote:
24 May 2022, 11:17
Zynerji wrote:
24 May 2022, 03:30
Monaco is a gambling town. The race would be way better if qualifying was a lotto drawing for this one event.
Monaco qualifying is the best bit. In fact its one of the best things about F1.
You mean qualifying is the only thing that matters in Monaco. The race is just like hitting the button on the dish washer and walking away...

I'll watch the F1TV hilights. Red flags, and cargo barge convoys aren't what I call exciting, live TV.🙄
Zynerji wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:15
I think I'll skip this watch... Fun track, but woefully unsuited for actual racing
Zynerji wrote:
24 May 2022, 03:30
Monaco is a gambling town. The race would be way better if qualifying was a lotto drawing for this one event.
You’re killing me Zynerji! I could not agree more. It’s an absolutely terrible race and should be removed from the calendar. The tall tires now will make these cars so clumsy it will be silly. Sigh. How about Road America instead? :)
Watching F1 since 1986.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

ringo wrote:
25 May 2022, 05:04
Checo and Sainz have their best chance of winning a race here. So does Hamilton or Russel.
Yes Im pretty sure one of the Ferrari/RB will finish the qualy in the wall.
I think Hamilton can take the pole with his experience there even if its clearly not his favourite track...
Sainz.. can only improve, and last season it was the first week end were he was faster/as fast as Charles so I'll keep an eye on him.

Bottas with the short wheelbase Alfa + Vettel somehow always in the top 5 at this track (even with Toro Rosso, or last year) are the one to watch in midfield !

Mogster

Spoutnik wrote:
25 May 2022, 08:32
ringo wrote:
I think Hamilton can take the pole with his experience there even if its clearly not his favourite track...
Sainz.. can only improve, and last season it was the first week end were he was faster/as fast as Charles so I'll keep an eye on him.

Bottas with the short wheelbase Alfa + Vettel somehow always in the top 5 at this track (even with Toro Rosso, or last year) are the one to watch in midfield !
I don’t really see Monaco as being one of Hamilton’s better venues. Russell may outqualy and finish as first Merc again.

MattWellsyWells
MattWellsyWells

I quite like Monaco - watching the qualify round here is amazing and even the race looks pretty cool. There's usually a high chance of safety car drama (not that we really want that but it can spice things up). I must say though in recent years it has got worse with the cars getting bigger and heavier and tyre/fuel/car management becoming more and more significant. The races have become very processional. I think the cars this year will look even more clumsy as well which probably won't help things.

F1Krof

Question is will Mercedes bring back the parts before Barcelona update based on the theory that Merc performed the best out of all teams in slow-speed corners?
Wroom wroom

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Mogster wrote:
25 May 2022, 09:35
Spoutnik wrote:
25 May 2022, 08:32
ringo wrote:

I don’t really see Monaco as being one of Hamilton’s better venues. Russell may outqualy and finish as first Merc again.
Yes that's why I'm saying it's clearly not one of his favourite venue. Nevertheless sometimes he can put a good lap (2019) and have a massive pace advantage (2015) or being opportunistic in race (2008, 2016..)

MV8
MV8

Predicting, finally, the first win of Leclerc in Monaco, he is on megalevel of driving right now, and the Ferrari should be the strongest team here
Just posting

chrisc90

MV8 wrote:
25 May 2022, 11:20
Predicting, finally, the first win of Leclerc in Monaco, he is on megalevel of driving right now, and the Ferrari should be the strongest team here
If he can get a lap done without spinning or parking it in a barrier.

Juzh

zibby43 wrote:
25 May 2022, 04:09
Juzh wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
They weren’t trash there in the race.

It was in qualifying, and the explanation was as simple as taking too much out of the tires earlier in the lap.

The Barcelona S3 predictor thing needs to die. It’s played out. Cars bring specific setups, steering, etc. to Monaco.
Nah performance swing in slow corners was definitely not just down to tyres. Their updates shifted performance balance from slow to mid-high speed stuff which was more useful for barcelona, we'll see what they come up with in monaco.