FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
abcdefgh

Re: FIA Thread

chrisc90 wrote:
08 May 2022, 16:58
The Jewellery thing is bang to rights, and the logic reasoning it are absolutely spot on. Its just 1 or 2 drivers (and teams) that are taking it too far by saying things like drivers should be diverse in what they can be allowed to wear inside the car.
Could you please provide source where I can read 19, or 18 drivers supports jewellery ban? I do not think this is true.

As per transcript from the Miami pre-race drivers post conference at least 5 drivers from 5 different teams says opposite (perhaps even more but I focused only on first part of conference). They appreciate FIA taking a look at safety but at the end they say it is personal choice to wear it or not.

Edit: adding link to transcript. https://www.fia.com/news/f1-2022-miami- ... transcript

diffuser

chrisc90 wrote:
Wow. I really dont think thats the correct way to go dumping the FIA. Given what the FIA have done over the years in track safety, research into driver safety etc etc. I think it would be a wrong turn to sack them off.

The Jewellery thing is bang to rights, and the logic reasoning it are absolutely spot on. Its just 1 or 2 drivers (and teams) that are taking it too far by saying things like drivers should be diverse in what they can be allowed to wear inside the car.

The sprints are boring IMHO, I've no idea why FOM is pushing for more. A few a year is alright (which could rotate round tracks as the season go so every track sees a 'sprint'). Im sure there are far greater ways which could make a weekend more interesting for the viewers than a extra 20minute race.
I think the worst part is you're taken away the only test session they run at the same time of day as the quali/Sprint and they make FP3 useless cause the car is in Parc Ferme. So there is zero to no testing, you've shortened free practise by 33% now you're illiminating 2 other FPs.

diffuser

chrisc90 wrote:
Wow. I really dont think thats the correct way to go dumping the FIA. Given what the FIA have done over the years in track safety, research into driver safety etc etc. I think it would be a wrong turn to sack them off.

The sprints are boring IMHO, I've no idea why FOM is pushing for more. A few a year is alright (which could rotate round tracks as the season go so every track sees a 'sprint'). Im sure there are far greater ways which could make a weekend more interesting for the viewers than a extra 20minute race.
I think the worst part is they've taken away the only test session they run at the same time of day as the quali/Sprint and they make FP3 useless cause the car is in Parc Ferme. So there is zero to no testing, they've shortened free practise by 33% and now they're eliminating 2 other FPs on Sprint weekends.

johnny comelately

It may be time to Storm the Concorde.
Being in Paris that would be de rigueur.
(I was forced to say this) :wink:

adrianjordan

The safety argument for the jewellery thing is a red herring. Just say it's a rule and rules are rules. Don't make some stupid argument based on zero evidence. If safety is the issue then better also ban wedding bands.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Wouter

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formu ... eturn.html

On Friday, in his first interview since taking charge of the FIA in December, Ben Sulayem told Sportsmail: 'I didn't get rid of Michael. He had a personal overload (of work) - safety delegate as well as race director. He made a mistake. It is not as if we said it is the end of Masi with the FIA.

'I don't do that sort of thing. Even people who didn't vote for me, I embrace. We don't think of individuals. We think of the operation itself.

'I don't know Michael very well. The decision (to sack him as race director) was made by the World Council. It was human error on Michael's part.'

'I spoke to him two days ago,' revealed Ben Sulayem of the official. 'I have no personal issue (with him). I don't hate anyone.

'Michael is there and we might use him. I didn't say we were getting rid of him. I said we might use him. He may be in a good place to use. We are open to everything.

'Our race structure was wrong organisationally. And though we have brought in two new race directors, I wouldn't say we have got it all right yet. We need to clean the stables.

'This lack of people in the FIA needs to be addressed. I would like to see a minimum of three race directors, ideally by the beginning of next year.'
Another interview:

Exclusive: Why the new FIA President isn't shutting the door on Masi

Mohammed Ben Sulayem has experienced an eventful start to his time as FIA President. RacingNews365.com's Dieter Rencken
sat down for the first extensive conversation with the Emirati to reflect on the journey so far and what's to come.
https://racingnews365.com/exclusive-why ... or-on-masi
Last edited by Wouter on 16 May 2022, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

The return of Masi. That’ll go down well with the merc fans

Big Tea

If you have a hammer and drop it on your foot through misuse, you don't throw it away.
Learn what went wrong and use him within confines, or it would be a waste.
There are few (if any) with his experience. of all his decisions what % were wrong, and were they through his fault, or lack of guidance and outside pressure?

Edit, yes I was among those calling for his head at the time, but I have had time to consider.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Red Rock Mutley

Give it until the summer break before the paddock talk turns to "Do we need all these Rules? What we need is someone more workable in charge" :)

adrianjordan

I posted this is Red Bull Team thread, due to Horner being the focus, but it applies to all teams in a way.

Formula 1 teams will miss races unless budget cap raised - Red Bull's Christian Horner - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61551759

What are the chances of a) any teams actually missing races or b) the budget cap being increased?

I think the top teams need to learn how to budget!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

CMSMJ1

I agree with you adrian - cut your cloth to service your means (or something)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

RZS10

According to Michael Schmidt Fred Vasseur basically said that teams can easily make the budget cap by just not developing any new stuff - turn off the wind tunnels and you're fine.

Wouter

RZS10 wrote:
26 May 2022, 17:28
According to Michael Schmidt Fred Vasseur basically said that teams can easily make the budget cap
by just not developing any new stuff - turn off the wind tunnels and you're fine.
Isn't that what F1 is all about?! They have new cars this year and not developing?! #-o
The Power of Dreams!

RZS10

Well you have a budget so you develop as long as you have the resources, at some point they will all have to stop bringing new parts anyways - not a single team will be able to upgrade their car throughout the entire season.

Binotto believes Mercedes and RB can only bring a few smaller upgrades, Ferrari will have to stop bringing new parts mid season (at the latest, all this according to Michael Schmidt who talked to Binotto and was shown Ferrari's list with estimates for the other teams' budgets) - so if they're marginal on budget they can just not produce certain parts and save them for next season.

Ultimately the budget cap is exactly there to limit development so that the big teams can't just throw endless time and money at their problems.

chrisc90

I think its wise to review it given the extraordinary explosion in costs for logistics and likely cost of parts etc. Even energy is going up. Im quite surprised that logistics are covered under the cap tbh.