2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Repost?

Checo's radio. It appears he thinks he was fighting Max, and really he was because who else could win? Unfortunately for him, contractually he cannot fight Max when the team is fighting another team.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

chrisc90

I seriously dont think checo had the car pace to challenge Max for the win. The overtake from Max, checo could have challenged, but given the pace Max was catching at 1.5-2S a lap it makes more sense for Max to maintain that pace.

I dont think we've seen details of Checo's contract saying team orders with Max so I think its a bit wrong to speculate that.

Dont forget they were on different strategies too. Max on softs which were never reaching the end, so the team probably had to cover off if he couldnt get past Checo (fair game) there could not be enough time to the car behind Max to keep him in position.

There will be tonnes of data the fans miss out on that the team base calls like that on.

Even looking at the final timings sheet over the race, there is a 19.x second difference from Perez to Russell who had to slow down last laps. Given its not the lap with the team 'orders' I could only have seen the gap get bigger as the race went on. So Max, needing a extra stop, wouldnt have been safe to Russel who would have gone up to P2.

rogazilla

If Checo cleared Russel then it was probably his race to lose. He couldn't, so they let Max give it a go. Granted Max couldn't either but strategy diverged from there.

Neuron

Perez needs to understand (if he does not yet, which I don't believe) he is some kind of Bottas. He is permitted to win a race only when Verstappen would have some troubles / dnf.

Silent Storm

Interesting to see max was told to cool the car down the straight on lap 5 so they too had overheating issues.

Christian Horner here explains that oil, water and brakes temperature were high. (They were high since lap 5) It would be foolish to let both cars race and risk one or both retiring when we know Checo would have to pit after 8-9 laps anyway. Seeing how Charles MGU-H and Turbo overheated in clean and cool air, this was a smart decision to benefit their faster driver. Checo knows he can’t match Max even when RB18 suits him.
Checo is smart enough to look at the data and understand why they made that decision.

It’s a cut throat ruthless business. Show the team he is faster than Max and they will worship him, if not then settle for 2nd.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

adrianjordan

Do we think Red Bull, or any other teams, will actually have to miss races?

Formula 1 teams will miss races unless budget cap raised - Red Bull's Christian Horner - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61551759

Given comments from other team bosses about the rate of development from Red Bull, could their progress end up stalling as they close on the budget cap?

Doesn't seem like the cap will increase so long as other teams don't agree to it (and why should they. The whole point of the cap was to peg back budgets - if Alpine and Williams for example can manage to stay in budget, Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull should too).

Could add another dynamic to the title fight.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ME4ME

Must say there are some excellent points in that article.

First thing that comes to mind is Ross Brawn and Adam Parrs book Total Competition. The competition is really fought on different fronts and in this case Horner is fighting the political battle hard and is making big statements to make headlines and get attention for his cause.

Szafnauer is obviously right that the top teams can "simply" reduce their development budget. But what that really means is further reducing staff. Simple, but a hard decision to make.

I think the article makes a good point that when Covid hit and the top teams agreed to a budget cap $35M lower than initially suggested, that was in part out of goodwill (and own interest) to save the back end of the grid. Now the situation has changed and everything is more expensive. The teams opposing to raise the budget cap at least in line with inflation are really just being selfish and see a chance to cripple the top teams a bit. But its all part of the political game I guess.

I don't really see any teams missing any races. iirc there is a line in the bilateral agreement with F1 that states that teams must not miss more than two races otherwise they are in trouble and may miss out on payment. Manor got in trouble for this.

Personally I expect Horner to get what he wants although maybe not quite as much as he hopes for. It's undeniable that costs have gone up. Also lets be honest development is a big part of F1, Liberty wouldn't want to totally halt that aspect of the sport.

They'll probably raise the budget cap but adjust the slope to still come down to agreed levels in a couple of years.

2022: $155M
2023: $150M (still inflation/recession)
2024: $140M
2025: $130M

Wouter

Media- and fansday today in Monaco.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Just a gossip?? It comes from Marca.com. The columnist and the source are both Spanish. Wishful thinking?
🚨 EXCLUSIVE 🚨

Red Bull is very close to signing FERNANDO ALONSO.
There would be few details left, and the destiny of Chencho Pérez...
The target would be 2023 as I ..........??
FIM BOOM 👉 AL LIO

~ Via @F_GallardoTV

𝙏𝙚𝙟𝙖𝙙𝙤@tejado_
Frasua did not say this.

Christian Horner 🇳🇱 | Fernando Alonso enjoyer@hornertheboss

Columnist for @marca's motoring section (@marcamotor ).

I'm not saying Frasuá said it, it's information I passed on to him.

Just scroll down to see that he retweeted it. https://twitter.com/F_GallardoTV
The Power of Dreams!

Neuron

Hard to believe. For RBR it would be super move but Alonso accepting to being driver no. 2? No way...

MV8
MV8

Wouter wrote:
26 May 2022, 19:02
Just a gossip?? It comes from Marca.com. The columnist and the source are both Spanish. Wishful thinking?
🚨 EXCLUSIVE 🚨

Red Bull is very close to signing FERNANDO ALONSO.
There would be few details left, and the destiny of Chencho Pérez...
The target would be 2023 as I ..........??
FIM BOOM 👉 AL LIO

~ Via @F_GallardoTV

𝙏𝙚𝙟𝙖𝙙𝙤@tejado_
Frasua did not say this.

Christian Horner 🇳🇱 | Fernando Alonso enjoyer@hornertheboss

Columnist for @marca's motoring section (@marcamotor ).

I'm not saying Frasuá said it, it's information I passed on to him.

Just scroll down to see that he retweeted it. https://twitter.com/F_GallardoTV
I know these guys and yes, they are trolling, don't take serious this, that journalist is a meme in Spain
Just posting

Wouter

Neuron wrote:
26 May 2022, 20:39
Hard to believe. For RBR it would be super move but Alonso accepting to being driver no. 2? No way...
No way?

Alonso would move to top team alongside No 1 driver

Date published: May 24 2022 - Henry Valantine

Fernando Alonso says he would be open to taking a seat at a front-running team next season – even if it meant going up against an established ‘number one’ driver.

Alonso’s contract with Alpine expires at the end of this season and talks are due to begin over his future with the team from July, with reserve driver and Formula 2 champion Oscar Piastri waiting in the wings for an opportunity next year.

The two-time former World Champion has made no secret of the fact he wants to continue in Formula 1 beyond the end of this year and is still searching for a third title which has eluded him for the past 16 years.

“I think so,” Alonso told Sky F1 when asked if a third World Championship is within his capabilities. “That’s why I keep racing, you know?

“There is still always the hope that one year you will have the package and you will have the, you know, all things together to fight for the championship. I still feel competitive and I’m fast.”
Although Max Verstappen is widely seen as top dog within Red Bull, given the opportunity Alonso would not say ‘no’ to the chance of driving a top car again – even if it meant going up against another ‘alpha’ presence of the sport.

“Yeah, sure,” he confirmed when asked if he would take on the challenge. “I think at the end of the day there are not many number one, two drivers in any team right now.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernando- ... portunity/
The Power of Dreams!

SirBastianVettel

I’d love to see this, but I think Verstappen in his current form would absolutely destroy Alonso.

Neuron

Wouter wrote:
So far, he says one thing and does the other ;)

ME4ME

In addition to Spanish sources almost always making things up, why would Red Bull want this? VER+PER is working beautifully for them. Perez helped Verstappen get the title in 2021, and has made a step this year.

Also Red Bull has historically had problems getting their 2nd (new) drivers up to speed. With Perez they have succeeded in that (to his capabilities). No need to risk another adaptiation phase with a new driver next year, unless spectaculary talented.

And if and when a successor to Perez is required, do you really pick an "old" Alonso to go up against rivals such as Russel, Leclerc, Norris (if car improves)?

Going by his comments i bet Helmut Marko would like to see Norris join Red Bull. Whether thats possible or not, I don't know. But its not like Mclaren have all potential clauses covered right now, I'd imagine.