2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DiogoBrand

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

It hurts to say as I'm a huge Honey Badger fan, but this is simply unacceptable. McLaren spends god know how many millions, how many man hours and pays god-knows-how-much for Ricciardo to extract the maximum out of the car, and apart from Monza last year, pretty much every one of his performances has been mediocre at best.
I don't know who and what is to blame, but he's being very well paid to do a job and he's not doing it.
"Oh but that's because Norris is too good".
On a sport where you can monitor every milimiter of pedal and steering input, he should have already figured what he needs to do to go fast, or just admit he's not up to the job, since if you're gonna have a driver with such performances, there are people capable of doing that for far less money.

I'm not gonna say what the team should or shouldn't do as it would be arrogant on my part, when there's way more competent people on the team and those decisions are never simple, but doing the same over and over while expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Emag

Lando cannot be that good though. He is obviously a very talented driver, but considering Daniel's past records, if he is still that very same driver, then that would mean Lando is probably god levels of fast. Something hasn't worked for him with us, be it personal reasons, inability to adapt, or just normal skill degradation over the years. Whatever it is, it's a damn shame it has turned out this way. With what Daniel has showed in the past, this team had the potential of having one of the best lineups in the grid.

Big Tea

I had to give up racing one day when I suddenly realised I had lost my nerve. Not my skill, which was not very high anyway, but I needed the little extra buffer after seeing a real bad accident.

Not putting myself in the same league as Dan, but we are running out of excuses. Maybe he did wake up a bath of sweat and thought 'Why?'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

billamend

Emag wrote:
29 May 2022, 00:41
Lando cannot be that good though.
The only talented driver I still see in this league is Lando Norris, but he doesn’t have the best material at the moment.
– Helmut Marko (source)

Its no coincidence that Red Bull has tried to hire him many times.

willmesquita

I would sign Felipe Drugovich as reserve driver tomorrow if I was Zak Brown. Cheap and talented.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

NAPI10

What is the chance of Alonso occupying Ric's seat next year? or that door is permanently closed.

Slahinki

As far as I can tell Alonso left the team on pretty damn good terms, so I guess a return isn't impossible however unlikely.

Big Tea

NAPI10 wrote:
29 May 2022, 01:27
What is the chance of Alonso occupying Ric's seat next year? or that door is permanently closed.
I think that boat has sailed. A top driver, but he would cramp Lando's style. It seems to suit Lando being the top man, he is on a run now, the last thing he needs is someone to steal his thunder. He is fitting in perfectly and needs a number two, as do the best of them. The best option would be a good back up driver but not a great one.

Possibly Bottas, but I think Albon would be a good fit or Gasly.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Alonso would be the wrong type of energy to bring to the team.
I would like to say Gasly or Albon would be a good fit. Bottas would be a good choice. He is fast, solid, flying Finn. But I wonder if he has had enough of British team culture.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djos

Slahinki wrote:
28 May 2022, 16:49
That's just not good enough from Danny, my god the gap is huge. So much for the F.E.A on the helmet...
The team made the mistake of sending Daniel out on used tires for that first run in Q2 as the track got hotter after that and even Lando couldn’t improve on his first Q2 time.

Those of you having a huge swing at Daniel need to pay more attention as to what is actually happening!
"In downforce we trust"

Macklaren

I reckon they will give him a new chassis for Silverstone. Last roll of the dice. Helped Ocon immensely last year

SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
29 May 2022, 02:39
Slahinki wrote:
28 May 2022, 16:49
That's just not good enough from Danny, my god the gap is huge. So much for the F.E.A on the helmet...
The team made the mistake of sending Daniel out on used tires for that first run in Q2 as the track got hotter after that and even Lando couldn’t improve on his first Q2 time.

Those of you having a huge swing at Daniel need to pay more attention as to what is actually happening!
I know you are a huge fan of Dan and with a need to defend him, but let’s be accurate… Both Lando and Daniel went out on used Softs for their first run in Q2, while Lando achieved a decent time, Daniel didn’t… Both of them came out on new Softs for their second run in Q2 and Lando did improve by 4 tenths versus his previous lap, Daniel also improved but finished almost 7 tenths from Lando.

Daniel’s lap wasn’t blocked by anyone, he had a clean lap in terms of traffic, as well as in terms of lap preparation.

We can’t blame the Team for Daniel’s performance every time he has an off weekend.

alexei

It seems like Ric doesn't give a f*ck about his performance and acts as if everything is ok. Seeing how he has been smiling and making stupid jokes for more than a year without decent performance is embarrassing. The team is losing lots of points because of him for the second year in a row.

I've been a McLaren fan since 1997, but I can't remember any pilot who acted like that. Even Kimi with his occasional drinking attitude was better :)

selvam_e2002

He is smiling... because to hid his pain. We don't know what happen inside Mclaren so don't just judge a driver by his poor form. Please remember that Lando took 3 years to drive this car. It is very much suited for him. If he moves out to other team, Lando suffer greater than Ric.

zxof

selvam_e2002 wrote:
29 May 2022, 07:49
He is smiling... because to hid his pain. We don't know what happen inside Mclaren so don't just judge a driver by his poor form. Please remember that Lando took 3 years to drive this car. It is very much suited for him. If he moves out to other team, Lando suffer greater than Ric.
What? Maybe Lando would suffer, maybe not. Carlos managed to adjust just fine.