Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach

Re: Ferrari F1-75

.poz wrote:
26 May 2022, 17:19
Old floor on F1-75
since porpoising is not an issue in Monaco are they are saving the new parts or maybe the old floor is slightly better at low speed ?
It's possible.
It needs to be said that they pulled the same trick in Barcelona however, walked the car around the paddock with the old floor and drove exclusively(even in FP) with the new one.

And this time it isn't even fully assembled, it's missing it's rearmost edge.

aleks_ader

Agree. I guess. We will know at least till FP2- Show and tell is before FP1 no? So obscurity is at least desirable and no really technical reason behind. Still we will see. Also if i speculate. It also prevents to damage new "rare" floor to get any damage in assembly and setup phase at beginning of weekend. Monaco is tight in garage space anything can happen. :D
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

GrrG

Both Leclerc and Sainz with new max load rear wing and more efficient Drs. New floor for both. Slightly less loaded front wing, basic understeer setting

Sevach

Ferrari going with less FW this weekend, which should make Sainz a little happier.
I wonder if Charles has a choice in terms of in which direction to go with his car.

wowgr8

Still a marked spoon shape on the maximum df rear wing, compared to other teams who go for as flat as possible.

matteosc

wowgr8 wrote:
28 May 2022, 10:09
https://i.imgur.com/9TBbY5E.jpg
Still a marked spoon shape on the maximum df rear wing, compared to other teams who go for as flat as possible.
I think that without the endplates in the rear wing it makes sense to load less the extremities and more the center. In theory it should help reducing the drag by having less pressure differential between top and bottom at the outer sides. Before endplates were able to "seal" it, but they are no longer there.
In order to do that, of course, you need clean airflow to the rear wing, which I think Ferrari maximizes by having the smaller airscope of all teams.

Just my idea... Does someone more expert in aerodynamic have an opinion about this?

ajprice

Sainz' car floor yesterday, there's a similar picture of Perez' Red Bull in that thread

LM10

Imola:

Monaco:

These visible cuts starting at about middleway of the floor seem to be new definitely. Other than that, my eyes are way too untrained to see differences. Anyone?

Stu

matteosc wrote:
28 May 2022, 14:37
wowgr8 wrote:
28 May 2022, 10:09
https://i.imgur.com/9TBbY5E.jpg
I think that without the endplates in the rear wing it makes sense to load less the extremities and more the center. In theory it should help reducing the drag by having less pressure differential between top and bottom at the outer sides. Before endplates were able to "seal" it, but they are no longer there.
In order to do that, of course, you need clean airflow to the rear wing, which I think Ferrari maximizes by having the smaller airscope of all teams.

Just my idea... Does someone more expert in aerodynamic have an opinion about this?
I think that you may be right, although the margins will likely be very small. Air pressure will still follow the laws of physics and try to migrate maintain equilibrium. If you can delay that end result until the car has passed then you will see a benefit.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Sevach

LM10 wrote:
29 May 2022, 10:41
Imola:

https://soymotor.com/sites/default/file ... k=Y6GFeWfy

Monaco:

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/C ... 903619.jpg

These visible cuts starting at about middleway of the floor seem to be new definitely. Other than that, my eyes are way too untrained to see differences. Anyone?
Skates on the newer floor it seems.

zioture

Suspension Ferrari Monaco GP

GrizzleBoy

Interesting.

So Ferrari got rid of all their floor edge wing doo dads and implemented skates instead.

Sevach

GrizzleBoy wrote:
29 May 2022, 15:37
Interesting.

So Ferrari got rid of all their floor edge wing doo dads and implemented skates instead.
I bet when the FIA allowed edge wings for the floor they weren't thinking people would place them underneath the car lol.