2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

TNTHead wrote:
28 May 2022, 23:00
VER complaining about an understeering car. Is this another sign they can't generate enough front downforce in the max downforce settings leading to understeer? Curious how the race pans out. I expect a cruising LEC for the win, but if race pace is close may be tyre wear can be of some influence.
I remember Red Bull saying how listening to Max in previous years led them down a path of too much oversteer that no driver other than Max himself could handle, and when they decided to course correct even Max benefitted.
Maybe they are more reluctant to do what he wants now.

Sieper

You can just see in the graphs where time is lost that the car in actual fact is understeered. You can also see it with your own eyes.

McMika98

Juzh wrote:
28 May 2022, 19:04
Perez really did ferrari a solid with that crash. Leclerc was out of reach but Sainz was very vulnerable with a bad S1 with a time 0.3s slower than Lec and 0.15s slower than Verstappen, so that second place was very much in reach. Perez had a so-so sector 1 then tried to push too much and spun. I guess that's why banker laps are for but still it's bad when you take out both cars chances in one swoop.
Problem is Max would have lost a lot of time in S3 as his tyres were old and the grip were going away in last sector for many cars who pushed in S1 and S2. His s2 mini sectors weren't that good.

lh13

McMika98 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
28 May 2022, 19:04
Perez really did ferrari a solid with that crash. Leclerc was out of reach but Sainz was very vulnerable with a bad S1 with a time 0.3s slower than Lec and 0.15s slower than Verstappen, so that second place was very much in reach. Perez had a so-so sector 1 then tried to push too much and spun. I guess that's why banker laps are for but still it's bad when you take out both cars chances in one swoop.
Problem is Max would have lost a lot of time in S3 as his tyres were old and the grip were going away in last sector for many cars who pushed in S1 and S2. His s2 mini sectors weren't that good.
Difference between Max and Perez/Sainz was too small, and could've been made with relative ease, given that both Perez and Sainz were yellow through sector 1.

Gillian

The car is too heavy and has too much understeer when they pile on more downforce which they can't balance out. This has nothing to do with building a car for a specific driver or not.

Verstappen would have been in front of Perez had the latter not crashed. Verstappens long pace was also better than Perez during FP but it's Monaco so we'll see if it matters.

TNTHead

Gillian wrote:
29 May 2022, 09:00
The car is too heavy and has too much understeer when they pile on more downforce which they can't balance out. This has nothing to do with building a car for a specific driver or not.

Verstappen would have been in front of Perez had the latter not crashed. Verstappens long pace was also better than Perez during FP but it's Monaco so we'll see if it matters.
Indeed you can't say Perez is crushing Max, which others are implying, it is a good thing they are more close than before.

As the front wing is a downforce generator as well as a flow conditioner may be they can't increase downforce as it'll hurt flow conditioning? Most probably oversimplified, but I think they are working on (or should be working) on improving front downforce as they'll be more versatile setup wise and can dial out understeer.

Gillian

TNTHead wrote:
29 May 2022, 13:18
Gillian wrote:
29 May 2022, 09:00

Indeed you can't say Perez is crushing Max, which others are implying, it is a good thing they are more close than before.

As the front wing is a downforce generator as well as a flow conditioner may be they can't increase downforce as it'll hurt flow conditioning? Most probably oversimplified, but I think they are working on (or should be working) on improving front downforce as they'll be more versatile setup wise and can dial out understeer.
The way I understand it's both a weight and a weight-distribution issue. The car is too heavy and the weight is also not where they want to have it. When too much downforce is added, more understeer is introduced and there is no way to balance it out. This can be fixed by reducing the overall weight (which gives the option to add weight on other places) and by refactoring the packaging which should move the weight to a more ideal option. But the latter is not easy to do with these huge PU + cooling requirements.

As for the 'Perez is crushing Verstappen' and 'Verstappen is looking ordinary' comments... Those are just silly and it shows what kind of poster you're dealing with. Best to just ignore.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Neuron

Very nice mind cleaning in RBR after last week. Checo grabbed win, forgot about Barcelona - now they can go back to the "desired" order :) But what is more spicy - Perez is very close to Leclerc in WDC now...

Wouter

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Perez wins the MONACO GP !! =D> =D> =D>

:idea: He already signed a new contract! =D>

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

I had a feeling that Perez win this race after seeimg his fp performance. I just close it as soon as race finished but this time watched podium ceremony too.

etusch

Neuron wrote:
29 May 2022, 18:23
Very nice mind cleaning in RBR after last week. Checo grabbed win, forgot about Barcelona - now they can go back to the "desired" order :) But what is more spicy - Perez is very close to Leclerc in WDC now...
He is also close vers too. He is wdc contender if he keeps his performance

chrisc90

Binotto not happy about the pit exit.

silver

etusch wrote:
29 May 2022, 18:46
Neuron wrote:
29 May 2022, 18:23
He is also close vers too. He is wdc contender if he keeps his performance
My concern about Perez is, he is not a good race day driver. To win a title against the likes of Verstappen and Leclerc, he needs to be as good as them. This year, the reliability concerns are higher and if he faces a second DNF, like Verstappen has already has, then it would put him quite far back.

Verstappen was 6th after Australia while Perez was fourth with over 50 points down to Leclerc and he is leading the championship now. I doubt if Perez can put together performances like that. He falls away as soon as the race start and only when something happens to his team mate and the two Ferraris, he comes into play. While Perez was unlucky in Bahrain to lose out 15 points, he was lucky to get 6 extra points in Spain after both Ferraris were out of the way for him. But then Verstappen was unlucky and lost out 36 points. I am sure Redbull understands which basked to put their eggs in.

TNTHead

Very happy for Perez! He is delivering, although strategy favouring him today.

Very funny to read many people are already seeing Perez taking the title :lol:
This is some kind of forum law: the most recent results are immediately projected on the driver for remainder of the season, whether it be a flaw or a win.