FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
peewon

Re: FIA Thread

diffuser wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 04:17
peewon wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 03:55
diffuser wrote:
30 May 2022, 21:09

I wouldn't hold my breath. F1 is first and foremost a business. A business which derives its prestige, and therefore commercial appeal, from the marquee automakers in the world competing in its series. People need to consider why would the so called best car manufacturers in the world show up to be humiliated by boutique teams. Mercedes, for example, is notorious for not sticking around in any motorsport competition where they're not favorites to win. Too much brand value at stake. There's a good reason the big teams will always be there or there abouts. Why the regulation changes were so extensively negotiated (retaining MGU-H and not reducing the size of the car too much). I think they would like a bit more parity for the expanding audience but ultimately I don't see it ever being a completely level playing field.
Team's values are all going up. The CAP is helping. More people want teams.

Maybe the issue is that those smaller teams don't have the tools yet.

Merc has been in F1 for a long time, maybe not as a chassis but as a PU manufacturer. Honda is one that is very fleeting.
You should look at Merc's overall history in motorsports as a full-fledged team and not an engine supplier. Across various series, from touring cars to rallying cars and even Indy car, Merc has a history of not hanging around too long if they're not at the pointy end of the grid.

When I talk about brand value, I mean global brand value of Mercedes as an auto manufacturer, not necessarily the immediate dollar value of their F1 operation. You will never find them struggling for multiple years and continue in a series. If they cant compete, they leave.
It was intended that Mercedes-Benz would enter rallying with the Mercedes-Benz W201 in the early 1980s.[citation needed] Yet, as all wheel drive and turbochargers were introduced by the competition (Audi Quattro) at that time, this was cancelled.

wesley123

peewon wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 05:36
If they cant compete, they leave.
This is true for literally every car brand. There are a few exceptions, but even those are very specific and has seen their involvement shift in some sort.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

diffuser

peewon wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 05:36
diffuser wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 04:17
peewon wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 03:55

Team's values are all going up. The CAP is helping. More people want teams.

Maybe the issue is that those smaller teams don't have the tools yet.

Merc has been in F1 for a long time, maybe not as a chassis but as a PU manufacturer. Honda is one that is very fleeting.
You should look at Merc's overall history in motorsports as a full-fledged team and not an engine supplier. Across various series, from touring cars to rallying cars and even Indy car, Merc has a history of not hanging around too long if they're not at the pointy end of the grid.

When I talk about brand value, I mean global brand value of Mercedes as an auto manufacturer, not necessarily the immediate dollar value of their F1 operation. You will never find them struggling for multiple years and continue in a series. If they cant compete, they leave.
It was intended that Mercedes-Benz would enter rallying with the Mercedes-Benz W201 in the early 1980s.[citation needed] Yet, as all wheel drive and turbochargers were introduced by the competition (Audi Quattro) at that time, this was cancelled.
Merc has been in F1 since 1994 as an enigne supplier as a min. That makes it 28 years now.

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

chrisc90

I have a feeling he's going to clamp down on using the sport for politics. I wonder if the BLM gesture pre-race would have been allowed if Ben Sulyam was president last year/year before.

organic

Believe this article is the original source:

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/06/03 ... mic-sport/

bonjon1979

Man from autocratic state where there are no elections or dissent allowed wants to clamp down on freedom of expression. Total shocker.

astracrazy

It's almost like the guys from Dubai but has never been there.

diffuser

bonjon1979 wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 20:40
Man from autocratic state where there are no elections or dissent allowed wants to clamp down on freedom of expression. Total shocker.
Most jobs that are in the public eye, the employee is representing the company and therefore needs to tow the company line. They're getting paid to be where they are,therefore, that time isn't theirs. Not that different to Johnny Depp not being given the Jack Sparrow character(or postponed the project) because of allegations of spousal abuse. Disney didn't want to be associated with supporting a spousal abuser. Some of the items that the drivers support will be possitive but will always have people that get turned off by the driver's stance; "not saying anything" decreases the chances of losing those people and therefore sponsors.

Probably F1 wants to have more control over it's public image than just the willy-nilly choices of the drivers.

wogx

It's great that we have people like Hamilton or Vettel in F1 - you can't drop the most successful drivers just because of their views, and we know that they cares about minorities
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

chrisc90

wogx wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 21:30
It's great that we have people like Hamilton or Vettel in F1 - you can't drop the most successful drivers just because of their views, and we know that they cares about minorities
You cant even get some to follow the rules that have been in the sport much longer than 99% of the drivers on the grid. Petulant.

Zynerji

chrisc90 wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 20:29
I have a feeling he's going to clamp down on using the sport for politics.
🙏 🙏 🙏

diffuser

wogx wrote:
I don't think they want that, nor do they want them to stop having views. Just not at F1 events.At those events, they're representing F1 and need to tow the company line.

GrizzleBoy

diffuser wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 02:56
wogx wrote:
I don't think they want that, nor do they want them to stop having views. Just not at F1 events.At those events, they're representing F1 and need to tow the company line.
So what's F1s company line on homosexuals also being treated as humans?

What about supporting that idea goes against F1 managements ideals?