A post EV era

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
johnny comelately

Re: A post EV era

A crossover that includes potential fuels for IC engines and the causes and needed remedies of health problems.
Of course, the source and manufacture of these fuels are the inclusive questions.
I remember Audi starting (maybe) this 10+ years ago

Combustion Webinar 20/11/2021, Speaker: Antonio Garcia Martinez

Synthetic fuels have become an important way of reaching carbon neutral utilization of hydrocarbon-based fuels in the internal combustion engines. Specifically, poly-oxymethylene dimethyl ethers (OMEx) have demonstrated great advantages to reduce NOx emissions below the EU VI homologation normative while maintaining ultra-low soot emissions with a great benefit in CO2 emissions on a well-to-wheel basis. Nonetheless, the properties of these fuel in single-fuel combustion strategies are not thoroughly investigated in the literature. Thus, this presentation aims to show the potential of OMEx fuel under conventional combustion modes.

Greg Locock

@gg That's about 1/3 the global car fleet. I just looked at lithium reserves, there's some very strange numbers around. Yours is very much the lower end, ie conservative.

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/featur ... ves-world/

J.A.W.

gruntguru wrote:
16 May 2022, 00:12
Greg Locock wrote:
14 May 2022, 01:29
Well there's a coincidence, just yesterday a tire shop said the same thing to me. Tesla drivers like demonstrating their green credentials by indulging in quick starts, and demolish the sidewalls of the tires in the process. But it is OK, because their green virtues are on display.
Agree - of course nobody thinks an "EV world" will look like a Tesla in every garage. The current crop of EV's are largely high-end models, often with ballistic performance.
Check out this report of how the dimension/mass/energy-density/cost constraints pertaining to high-end
sporting-type motorcycles has cruelled the would-be sellers, due to market expectations being out of reach
by dint of BEV limitations.

Small, cheap commuter E-bikes may be feasible - but they still have marketing issues.

(Funnily enough, the cops around here went nuts cracking down on kids putting ICE-motive kits on their bicycles,
yet appear to ignore the kitchen-appliance noise making E-powered idiocy shown by E-scooter/bicycle riders,
but hey, I dunno if this by Govt edict from above - or due to relevant legislation - not being as yet, promulgated?)
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Billzilla

gruntguru wrote:
18 May 2022, 22:49
If green hydrogen is abundant and cheap one would expect a trend towards HEV rather than BEV.

It's quite a lot more efficient to just put the electricity you'd use making the hydrogen straight into a battery.

Billzilla

gruntguru wrote:
19 May 2022, 02:50
Seems there are twenty something million tons of proven Lithium reserves and something like 50 kg of lithium in an average EV (eg 63 kg in a 100 kW.hr Tesla battery).So at 20 EV's to the ton, proven reserves will only build 400 million EV's. Of course Lithium is used for a lot of things apart from EV's. I guess we need to find more lithium or better batteries or both.
Lithium batteries won't be the best battery forever, there's many other competing chemistries that show much better potential. And FWIW the current lithium battery packs can be at least 95% recycled.

J.A.W.

Billzilla wrote:
19 May 2022, 10:15
gruntguru wrote:
19 May 2022, 02:50
Seems there are twenty something million tons of proven Lithium reserves and something like 50 kg of lithium in an average EV (eg 63 kg in a 100 kW.hr Tesla battery).So at 20 EV's to the ton, proven reserves will only build 400 million EV's. Of course Lithium is used for a lot of things apart from EV's. I guess we need to find more lithium or better batteries or both.
Lithium batteries won't be the best battery forever, there's many other competing chemistries that show much better potential. And FWIW the current lithium battery packs can be at least 95% recycled.
Nevermind Li, its just a lightweight (1st heavier than air element listed on the atomic chart).
No... what we need is Dr Brown's 'Mr Fusion'.

( & its kinda too bad the, ah, pioneering plutonium fuel cell is a wee bit 'out there' for public use)

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

gruntguru

Billzilla wrote:
19 May 2022, 10:14
gruntguru wrote:
If green hydrogen is abundant and cheap one would expect a trend towards HEV rather than BEV.
It's quite a lot more efficient to just put the electricity you'd use making the hydrogen straight into a battery.
Agree but - if the world is swimming in green hydrogen - due to surplus green electricity being stored as hydrogen . .
je suis charlie

Tommy Cookers

gruntguru wrote:
20 May 2022, 06:02
Billzilla wrote:
19 May 2022, 10:14
gruntguru wrote:
Agree but - if the world is swimming in green hydrogen - due to surplus green electricity being stored as hydrogen . .
most nuclear generation is inefficient
the waste heat should be used eg by making hydrogen from combined heat and power or even heat alone
https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/coul ... ve-nuclear
(this before the explosion in energy prices)

NL_Fer

For a long time I was convinced that solar power in Equator area countries would be powering the world, once someone find an revolutionary efficient way to convert, store and transport that solar energy to the customers around the world.

Like a catalyst that could use solar to produce e-fuel, far simpler than solar to electricity to hydrogen.

But yesterday I read that enough natural gas is being flared in remote areas, that could power 1/3 of the EU. This s going to take a long time.

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 20:28
For a long time I was convinced that solar power in Equator area countries would be powering the world, once someone find an revolutionary efficient way to convert, store and transport that solar energy to the customers around the world.

Like a catalyst that could use solar to produce e-fuel, far simpler than solar to electricity to hydrogen.

But yesterday I read that enough natural gas is being flared in remote areas, that could power 1/3 of the EU. This s going to take a long time.
This is worth a read, it has links to where the information is gathered, but importantly it is only area covered, not where that is. For instance, is all new build from next year had to have full roof covering, and a requirement to fit backdated phased in it would make a huge difference.

There is also much talk of space based solar again too, but decades down the line.

https://www.axionpower.com/knowledge/po ... ar%20plant.

excerpt

Real Life Example
A 1 MW solar farm in North Carolina runs on 5040 solar panels (195W and 200W), and takes up 4.8 acres.

It produces 1.7 million kWh per year.

The farm gets 5-6 hours of sunlight per day on average, compared to 3.5-4 hours for a fixed-array, which makes it more efficient than our example above.

Even so, if we replicated this particular farm in order to produce enough electricity to power the world, we would then require:

92.7 billion solar panels
54.1 million acres, or 84,531 square miles.

https://cdn.shortpixel.ai/spai/w_930+q_ ... 8x1118.png
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

johnny comelately

This discusses a possible advancement of the transmission of power and also assuming that method becomes feasible, the harvesting of solar power from space

Big Tea

johnny comelately wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 00:20
This discusses a possible advancement of the transmission of power and also assuming that method becomes feasible, the harvesting of solar power from space

I wonder if it is just a co-incidence of timing that SpaceX is replacing their rather efficient internet satellites with now one and a half ton units? Why would they need that to provide internet? Power maybe, but internet- nah, a flock of smaller ones would be better.

Well here is my next weeks research :mrgreen:

Edit. I don't suppose it will ever be possible to 'beam' power directly to a vehicle? But then who would have thought everyone would have a computer with full internet access in their pocket? Bell once said that in the future there would be a telephone in every town
Last edited by Big Tea on 06 Jun 2022, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

Sincerely, this thread should be locked.

Post-EV era... well, maybe some centuries ahead. But at this point this is like someone in 10th century wondering about space rockets when they´re centuries away from first ICE #-o

We might discuss electricity generation or storage, that would be a real debate, how to generate and store energy for EVs, but post EV era.... I can only think about teleportation as a replacement of EVs :mrgreen: :lol:

Ferry

Why is the thread "Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?" still closed? Too old tech already? :?

hollus

Too much politics if I remember correctly (there)
Rivals, not enemies.