[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Koldskaal

[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

MVRC is back!

This year’s cars will feature venturi tunnels in the floor, lower beam wings, front wheel deflectors and revised front and rear wings. With a regulation change like that, now is the perfect opportunity for rookies to enter.

The full ruleset is available now at: https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-rules-2022/

The referenced 3D volumes can be downloaded here: https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-files/

In short, competitors design race cars in 3D CAD, and send them to the organisers ahead of each race. The organisers scrutineer the cars and give warnings or penalties to noncompliant teams. The aerodynamics of each car is then simulated and drag, downforce, center of pressure and engine cooling are entered into the laptime simulator. Competitors get points based on simulated laptime and penalties.

The 2022 season will consist of 5 races:
Race 1 July 31st Hungarian Grand Prix – Hungaroring
Race 2 Sept. 11th Italian Grand Prix - Autodromo Nazionale Monza
Race 3 Oct. 23rd American Grand Prix – Circuit of the Americas
Race 4 Nov. 20th Brazilian Grand Prix – Autodromo Interlagos
Race 5 Dec. 11th British Grand Prix - Silverstone*

Entry to the competition is free, and you can use free software to design the car (for example, FreeCAD, Blender or the hobby version of Fusion). Competitor will be supplied a version of Mantium Flow to run your own CFD tests.

You can now register here: https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-2022-registration/

The MVRC staff consists of:
User LVDH, Andre. He runs Mantium CAE and does the scrutineering and CFD Analysis.
User Spacehead3, Max Taylor. He has provided the new laptime simulation program.
And myself. My name is Christian. I will compile results, write articles and such.

Good luck everyone!

*Edit: the calendar
Last edited by Koldskaal on 27 Jun 2022, 20:12, edited 2 times in total.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

samuel_l25

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Hi,

Quick question, is the exhaust assembly meant to look like this?

(Imported in original location using Catia V5)

Koldskaal

samuel_l25 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 19:09
Hi,

Quick question, is the exhaust assembly meant to look like this?
I think we will change a few things here and there in the comming week. For one, the exhaust boundary condition is supposed to be inside the exhaust pipe. :D
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

jjn9128

Is there any reason the tub minimum is shaped/placed how it is? It's very wide, especially in the tunnels and it will severely restrict the shape of the cars there!! It's also very tall/square edged at the top.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

spacehead3

jjn9128 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 20:22
Is there any reason the tub minimum is shaped/placed how it is? It's very wide, especially in the tunnels and it will severely restrict the shape of the cars there!! It's also very tall/square edged at the top.
From what I see it is above and inside of the minimum tunnel dimensions, I don't think there are any issues. I did notice that some of the STEP files imported in the wrong position, but the STLs seem to be correct. Maybe you have it positioned wrong?
Max Taylor

spacehead3

spacehead3 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 23:11
jjn9128 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 20:22
From what I see it is above and inside of the minimum tunnel dimensions, I don't think there are any issues. I did notice that some of the STEP files imported in the wrong position, but the STLs seem to be correct. Maybe you have it positioned wrong?
I do agree that in general the safety cell part is a bit chunky though. Andre just completed these CAD files this morning and we wanted to share them as soon as possible so that everyone can get started. There will most likely be some minor revisions to the parts as we all start to dive into this.
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

Hi Everyone.

Good job.

I haven't had time to look carefully at the new rules yet, but I have two questions:

1) The reason for the rule "14.3 For the first race of MVRC 2022, the rake will be fixed at 0.4 °" is not clear to me (just curious)

2) Do the dates indicated refer to the tender or to the deadline for the delivery of the geometry?

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 08:28
Hi Everyone.

Good job.

I haven't had time to look carefully at the new rules yet, but I have two questions:

1) The reason for the rule "14.3 For the first race of MVRC 2022, the rake will be fixed at 0.4 °" is not clear to me (just curious)

2) Do the dates indicated refer to the tender or to the deadline for the delivery of the geometry?
Also worth pointing out that there is a typo between 2.4 and 14.3, one states -0.4 and the other 0.4. I suspect -0.4 is the correct value
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

yinlad wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 09:13
Also worth pointing out that there is a typo between 2.4 and 14.3, one states -0.4 and the other 0.4. I suspect -0.4 is the correct value
Yes, I agree. But why not 0°?

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 10:38
yinlad wrote:
If I had to guess I'd say that perhaps the current mandatory parts release is designed around that value and the automated adjustments in mantiumflow to match user input isn't working properly yet. But I'm sure the guys will answer your question more fully
MVRC - Panthera

TheFissk

I noticed that some of the names between Max's lap simulator and I noticed that some of the names that he used did not match the names in the schedule. Sure most users will recognize that Spielberg = Austria and Budapest = Hungaroring, but it seems like an unnecessary point of confusion

variante

CAEdevice wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 10:38
yinlad wrote:
Yeah, why not 0°? 2022 F1 cars aren't really set up with rake.
The little amount they might have goes away at medium speed already. And at high speed, part of the floor even deforms giving the impression of opposite rake.

spacehead3

TheFissk wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 14:51
I noticed that some of the names between Max's lap simulator and I noticed that some of the names that he used did not match the names in the schedule. Sure most users will recognize that Spielberg = Austria and Budapest = Hungaroring, but it seems like an unnecessary point of confusion
Good point, I can update the lap sim names to be consistent.

While we're on the subject, a few notes about the lap sim:
1) What you have access to on the webpage is a regression created with sweeps from the full lap sim program. I will use the full program to determine the results, so the absolute lap times in the final results may be slightly different from what you see online, but the overall order and trends will not change.
2) There is no "forgiveness zone" for the CoP, we will use your exact CoP from MFlow. As you can see from playing with the simulator, the penalty for being a few percent off is very small, but it will get large if you are too far away from the optimum.
3) There are limits to the CD and CL ranges that you can input with the simulator. Hopefully this range will cover us for the season, but if you think you are getting close to exceeding them please let me know and we can adjust accordingly.
Max Taylor

variante

Also, the "Vehiclebody" legality box is MASSIVE in the engine cover area.
If you don't introduce a 75mm radius rule, expect to see the craziest designs.

I also don't see a rule about cooling exhausts.

If you thought that my cars from previous years were a bit mad, wait until you see the next one...

Hutchie.91

For Appendix 1.1, the rule about minimum 10mm thickness for front and rear wing aerofoil sections, by my understanding the wording states only one point along each chord length does it have to be at least 10mm thick, so does that mean the trailing edges can be a bit sharper, ie around 2mm thick? Obviously in ideal situations you would want a trailing edge tapering to a sharp as possible point, but manufacturing tolerences dictates it wont really be possible, and of course meshing doesn't like sharp points or edges anyway and is the main purpose for this rule.

So just wanted to clarify that I am correct in assuming I can still have a trailing edge thickness less than 10mm?