Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hollus

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Wazari wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 07:40
I think overall last year all gears ratios were a little short especially 5-8 by about 75 to 125 RPM. It may not seem too significant but can make up to a two tenths difference.
Ahh, if we are talking about off by 100RPM then i buy the point. I am surprised that so little can make a 2 tenth difference, but I’ll take your word for it.
Rivals, not enemies.

Wazari

hollus wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 14:47
Wazari wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 07:40
I think overall last year all gears ratios were a little short especially 5-8 by about 75 to 125 RPM. It may not seem too significant but can make up to a two tenths difference.
Ahh, if we are talking about off by 100RPM then i buy the point. I am surprised that so little can make a 2 tenth difference, but I’ll take your word for it.
A few hundredth's here and there can add up especially at tracks like Montreal, Bahrain and Singapore.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

etusch

I am looking forward to see Monza and Spa

hollus

I have started a thread for gearing in 2022:
viewtopic.php?p=1065395#p1065395

We can also discuss further there, this issue is not exclusive to the Honda PU.
Rivals, not enemies.

hkbruin

@Wazari-san, do you know if there has been any movement on the possibility that Honda will release a new car to commemorate Max's championship, or if there is any plan to transfer the F1 hybrid technology into a road car like what Merc did with the Project One? Now that the current NSX is end-of-life, what is to come? And given the turmoil with oil and gasoline prices, what is the likelihood that Honda releases a car that is combustion based? It would seem that the trend would be to release an all-electric car, but I feel that the Honda brass are still petrol-heads and won't let their engines fade into the sunset without a proper send-off.

PlatinumZealot

It would be cool if Honda built a car wit the F1 engine like Mercedes has done, but increase the displacement so that it's easier to meet emissions. On that note, when I was reading the specs of the AMG one car, the Honda NSX instantly came to mind. It's the closest car functionally wise to the AMG one. It's only missing the MGUH and it's about 200kg heavier. It should not be too out of reach for Honda to modify the the NSX to F1-like specs would it? :idea:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wazari

hkbruin wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 07:17
@Wazari-san, do you know if there has been any movement on the possibility that Honda will release a new car to commemorate Max's championship, or if there is any plan to transfer the F1 hybrid technology into a road car like what Merc did with the Project One? Now that the current NSX is end-of-life, what is to come? And given the turmoil with oil and gasoline prices, what is the likelihood that Honda releases a car that is combustion based? It would seem that the trend would be to release an all-electric car, but I feel that the Honda brass are still petrol-heads and won't let their engines fade into the sunset without a proper send-off.
Probably off topic, but no Honda is not going to release a new car for Max's championship. Not Honda's style plus the lead time is not practical. I was in a meeting with all the Honda's top brass including the CEO to discuss the possibility of a roadster along the lines of the S2000. 1.8 to 2.0 L motor with an H-unit incorporated into the PU. 375 to 400 HP on 93 octane gas in a 1,250 to 1,300 KG car. Don't get me started on all electric cars. I wish for a stronger push with fuel cell vehicles from Honda.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

hkbruin

Thank you for replying!

mzso

Wazari wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 02:15
Don't get me started on all electric cars. I wish for a stronger push with fuel cell vehicles from Honda..
There was a rumor about a sub 20k USD electric Honda with good range, but I guess it was baseless.

PlatinumZealot

I believe that car does exist. It's called the Honda e. Not sure on the final pricing though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Owen.C93

Can anyone tell me what this mini manifold is in the power unit this year. Cooling circuit maybe?

2019 for ref (might be older, ignore the red arrow)
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PlatinumZealot

Is air allowed to enter the engine without going through the throttle body?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 20:14
I believe not.

etusch

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Where do you know that it is for air? or what makes you think it is for air?
Even so why do you think it is not through throttle body?
Last edited by etusch on 09 Jun 2022, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

etusch wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 21:03
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Where do you know that it is for air? or what makes you think it is for air?
Even so why do you know it is not through throttle body?
I never claimed it was air, but if it were, and depending on the answer: through throttle to engine, or bypass throttle to exhaust; we can identify some tricks that Honda could do.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏