[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
k.ko100v

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

CAEdevice wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 10:26
k.ko100v wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 09:47
Koldskaal wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 17:51
There is a new version of the CAD files on the website. This should fix the issues some of you mentioned.
There are no .stl files in the folder. And I cannot setup my SolidWorks 2020 to work with the .step files. Can someone guide me how to work with them?

Last time I used to import the .stl files in to a part drawing and it was simply fine.

What is thew problema with STEP and SolidWorks? SWX can import STEP (and if you model with SWX, STEP is a better base than STL)
Well something do not work, or I am not doing something wright.

What I am doing is:

File >> New >> Part >> Insert >> Features >> Imported... >> chosing the step file.
The result: opens a loading window and after the loading finished, there is no file imported.

I have reset the STEP importing settings and the result is the same.

CAEdevice

k.ko100v wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 10:51
CAEdevice wrote:
k.ko100v wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 09:47

There are no .stl files in the folder. And I cannot setup my SolidWorks 2020 to work with the .step files. Can someone guide me how to work with them?

Last time I used to import the .stl files in to a part drawing and it was simply fine.

What is thew problema with STEP and SolidWorks? SWX can import STEP (and if you model with SWX, STEP is a better base than STL)

What I am doing is:

File >> New >> Part >> Insert >> Features >> Imported... >> chosing the step file.
The result: opens a loading window and after the loading finished, there is no file imported.

Yes, I think there is something wrong, you can switch off "3D interconnect" form the "Import" options.
If you need to solve the problem quickly I can send you the STEP imported to SWX Assembly by MP.

k.ko100v

CAEdevice wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 11:31
k.ko100v wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:

What I am doing is:

Yes, I think there is something wrong, you can switch off "3D interconnect" form the "Import" options.
If you need to solve the problem quickly I can send you the STEP imported to SWX Assembly by MP.
It doesn't work, unfortunately.
Currently I am reinstalling SW2020 again. Meanwhile I will be very grateful if you send me the already imported files.
my email is kko100v@gmail.com

Koldskaal

k.ko100v wrote:

In solidworks you can open Step-files the same way you open a sldprt file. file->open "all files (*.*)"
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

etsmc

Is the 2005 version of MantiumFlow the latest as this is all that is available on the website?

LVDH

Hi guys,
I am kind of back. I went through all the messages you posted here and in the old thread. I am really sorry that I pulled a Duke Nukem here.
First of all, huge thanks to Koldskaal / Christian and Spacehead3 / Max. They have saved the championship. Not only with motivating me once again but by also providing their time, help and even tools. Without them, there would still be no new championship. Here and there, as they are now staff members, they could potentially have some sort of theoretical advantages. I will always minimize this as far as possible and I do understand that if they win every race that there will be doubts but the reality is that without them, there would be no MVRC 2022.
I think the last main items to really get started are a new release of MFlow and a the calendar. I would not advise using older versions, as some things will simply not fit, as the MVRC templates used some hard coded dimensions and the cars are now much bigger. There is a good chance that I will release this new version tomorrow evening. It will not be very well tested though. As you have seen with the iterations of the CAD parts, I cannot keep things as good as I used to so you guys have to test more and report back.
I am not sure with the calendar yet. I do want to give you enough time to develop with CFD but we do have to get started at some point. Some of you have build their own CAD parts the last years and have been testing for a while with their own tools. I cannot believe that two additional weeks will help catch up the these people, if this did indeed lead to valuable data.
Realistically I will still be pretty busy with my other projects, so I will not be around here very often. One of Christian's new jobs is to keep an eye on this forum, so he will be the guy to talk to.

The CAD parts now contain stl files. They are not tested with CFD though!

Hutchie.91

Realistically, how long would it take to get an initial design going along with some quick CFD tests ran? Im assuming for this year since we're tackling a completely new set of regs its a fresh slate for everyone and people starting fresh wont be at a complete disadvantage as there is only so much that can carry over from previous years.

And obviously people more experienced and knowledgeable in race car aero are going to be producing more competitive designs quickly regardless of the type of race car and tech regs we use.

Still super excited to take part, even if its more of an exercise of getting better with NX rather than demonstrating any CFD/aero knowledge, just hope I don't have to put other personal CAD projects on the back plate to at least have a decent showing.

yinlad

yinlad wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 14:03
I'm also curious is there is any change to the radiator porosity this year? I seem to remember there being big issues with them choking if you tried to run any significant angle on them
Can I get some confirmation on this point from someone? Currently iterating a cooling system and yeah, having to run the radiators in such an upright position really limits what you can do with the entire sidepod package :cry:
MVRC - Panthera

Koldskaal

yinlad wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 21:52
yinlad wrote:
I'm also curious is there is any change to the radiator porosity this year? I seem to remember there being big issues with them choking if you tried to run any significant angle on them
Can I get some confirmation on this point from someone? Currently iterating a cooling system and yeah, having to run the radiators in such an upright position really limits what you can do with the entire sidepod package :cry:
Realistically changing the porosity would require an equal change in either radiator thickness or frontal area. See Reynolds analogy. So unless someone can supply updated porosities and cooling flows from real F1 cars, I think we should stick with what we have been using the last years.

You can try using turning vanes inside the inlet duct, if you want to angle the radiator more.

Koldskaal

Hutchie.91 wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 20:38
Realistically, how long would it take to get an initial design going along with some quick CFD tests ran? Im assuming for this year since we're tackling a completely new set of regs its a fresh slate for everyone and people starting fresh wont be at a complete disadvantage as there is only so much that can carry over from previous years.

And obviously people more experienced and knowledgeable in race car aero are going to be producing more competitive designs quickly regardless of the type of race car and tech regs we use.

Still super excited to take part, even if its more of an exercise of getting better with NX rather than demonstrating any CFD/aero knowledge, just hope I don't have to put other personal CAD projects on the back plate to at least have a decent showing.
It usually takes me around 10 hours to design a car from scratch. But yeah, it depends greatly on how fast you can model in 3D, and the level of detail. Once the first car is done, design iterations can be as short as 5 minutes. The big limitation is the CFD, which means you can only realistically do 1 design iteration per day.

I am also quite curious, how long does it usually take the rest of you to design a car from scratch?

yinlad

Koldskaal wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 07:23
yinlad wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 21:52
yinlad wrote:
Realistically changing the porosity would require an equal change in either radiator thickness or frontal area. See Reynolds analogy. So unless someone can supply updated porosities and cooling flows from real F1 cars, I think we should stick with what we have been using the last years.

You can try using turning vanes inside the inlet duct, if you want to angle the radiator more.

Or tweak the throughput requirement and minimum area while keeping current radiator porosity. Being able to run smaller radiators would open up the design possibilities too. Anyway I'll carry on under the assumption of no change for now
MVRC - Panthera

variante

Koldskaal wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 08:09
I am also quite curious, how long does it usually take the rest of you to design a car from scratch?
About 2 full days with this year's car. Two intense days.

The inclined surfaces of the new ruleboxes are a nightmare to deal with. I wish you had simplified those a little.
But, at least, they force CAD creativity.

CAEdevice

I am on vacation, but, until now, the sum of the time I needed to model my 2022 car (simple, as usual) is much more than 40h, and at least 10h more will be necessary to complete it when I will be back in office. Am I too slow?
Last edited by CAEdevice on 15 Jun 2022, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 17:32
I am on vacation, but, until now, the sum of the time I needed to model my 2022 car (simple, as usual) is much more than 40h, and at least 10h more will be necessary to compete it when I will be back in office. Am I too slow?
I'm in a similar boat. But I'm not experienced in CAD so that'll be my issue
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

OK,
a new version of MFlow is up. It is only poorly tested. Please report any issues, so I can fix them. For certain reasons, I had to get it out today. There is potentially something wrong as the Changelog is obviously wrong.
Also the Dropbox plugin to the Wordpress download manager did not work. This affects Windows users. There should be a link visible, so just copy paste that into your browser.
Have fun with CFD (I hope)...