2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
tpe
tpe

Re: 2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

Not relevant to the previous posts, but shouldn't change the pole position side to the left of the track?
Does it make sense3to be at the outside when you're I pole?

chrisc90

tpe wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 21:45
Not relevant to the previous posts, but shouldn't change the pole position side to the left of the track?
Same for a lot on tracks though?

I think it has to do with clean side of track vs dirty side of track and traction off the line.

tpe
tpe

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 21:47
tpe wrote:
Same for a lot on tracks though?
Do they have 250m until the turn?
I don't recall Spa though.

But, if I am not mistaken, last year was the same with LH being first in the corner, but I could be wrong.

JordanFiveOh
JordanFiveOh

1158 wrote:I think it has to do with clean side of track vs dirty side of track and traction off the line.
Yes, it always follows the generally accepted racing line.

Sieper

Does the pole have to be a great advantage?

A honoust question. It is just the beginning of the race. And would the inside here be much better for the polesitter if it were the pole?

langedweil

Sieper wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 23:13
Does the pole have to be a great advantage?

A honoust question. It is just the beginning of the race. And would the inside here be much better for the polesitter if it were the pole?
Well, it's easier to defend I guess, especially when the run to T1 is only 200m ..
HuggaWugga !

Sieper

Maybe something to consider for Baku, but as Jordan said, it is off the racing line, so if the outside would get better traction you are compromised into turn one and giving room here (with that barrier that close) is not easy.

On some tracks pole is super important, on some it is a big help, on some it doesnt matter much and on some it is even a disadvantage (a bit) Russia, Spain (maybe) Mexico.

Mogster

tpe wrote:
Return the good old days when pole could choose the side of the grid they started on. Would add a bit of interest also.

wogx

Latifi given penalty point after passing 12 blue flag light panels in front of Gasly

Nicholas Latifi was handed a five-second post-race time penalty and one penalty point on his super licence for ignoring blue flags in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

However the Williams driver insisted he had been trying to help Pierre Gasly, who was trying to lap him at the time.

Gasly was under pressure from Lewis Hamilton for fourth place when the pair came behind Latifi, who was running last. Despite multiple blue flag warnings, Latifi failed to yield.

Speaking to media including RaceFans after the race, Latifi explained he had not pulled over to allow Gasly by in order to ensure he did not leave the AlphaTauri driver completely exposed to Hamilton behind with DRS.

“The blue flag [penalty], I understood I took longer than maybe in terms of the marshalling sectors to let him by,” Latifi said. “But I spoke to Pierre after, telling him what I wanted to do and he agreed with what I did."

“I just basically wanted to give him the DRS, because if I let him by a few corners before then he was going to have no DRS and he was going to get penalised from Hamilton catching him through that dirty air up before.
“So I said ‘okay let me at least give him the DRS and try and negate whatever I held him up and he agreed. He said ‘yeah you did the right thing’.”
https://www.racefans.net/2022/06/12/lat ... -of-gasly/

Latifi - Hamilton soap opera continues :lol:
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

dialtone
dialtone

2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

Who is telling these Williams drivers that they have any right to an opinion in front of a blue flag? The procedure is simple: you get out of the way immediately, or as soon as possible.

How do you live in this fantasy where you think you have a right to influence the race?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

wogx wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 20:33
Latifi given penalty point after passing 12 blue flag light panels in front of Gasly

Nicholas Latifi was handed a five-second post-race time penalty and one penalty point on his super licence for ignoring blue flags in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

However the Williams driver insisted he had been trying to help Pierre Gasly, who was trying to lap him at the time.

Gasly was under pressure from Lewis Hamilton for fourth place when the pair came behind Latifi, who was running last. Despite multiple blue flag warnings, Latifi failed to yield.

Speaking to media including RaceFans after the race, Latifi explained he had not pulled over to allow Gasly by in order to ensure he did not leave the AlphaTauri driver completely exposed to Hamilton behind with DRS.

“The blue flag [penalty], I understood I took longer than maybe in terms of the marshalling sectors to let him by,” Latifi said. “But I spoke to Pierre after, telling him what I wanted to do and he agreed with what I did."

“I just basically wanted to give him the DRS, because if I let him by a few corners before then he was going to have no DRS and he was going to get penalised from Hamilton catching him through that dirty air up before.
“So I said ‘okay let me at least give him the DRS and try and negate whatever I held him up and he agreed. He said ‘yeah you did the right thing’.”

So it's official then. Latifi literally and actively thinks about ways thay he can help out red bull drivers during races.

It all makes sense now.

I'm joking obviously, but it's still so ridiculous to keep seeing him return to the spotlight in these circumstances.

Should have counted himself lucky for holding up Sainz for almost half a lap in Monaco with no penalty, but goes to the next race and decides to do the same again, even admitting to try and help one driver over another.

The rules say you need to be out of the way by the time you pass what 3 flags?

If you seem to not understand that after multiple races and think you can Kind of just make it up as you go and decide for yourself when you're willing to finally get out of the way, then you need some penalty points to nudge your mindset back in the right direction of feeling that the rules do actually apply to you.

Ryar

GrizzleBoy wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 09:48
So it's official then. Latifi literally and actively thinks about ways thay he can help out red bull drivers during races.

It all makes sense now.

I'm joking obviously, but it's still so ridiculous to keep seeing him return to the spotlight in these circumstances.
It's understandable why Latifi would do such a thing against Lewis. For no fault of his own, except a racing incident in Abu Dhabi, he was crucified and got death threats from, obviously over agitated, Lewis fans. So if he feels negative about it, then one can't blame him.
GrizzleBoy wrote:
If you seem to not understand that after multiple races and think you can Kind of just make it up as you go and decide for yourself when you're willing to finally get out of the way, then you need some penalty points to nudge your mindset back in the right direction of feeling that the rules do actually apply to you.
FIA is really stupid for being leniant in enforcing the rules. Whether it is correcting this kind of behavior or banning a driver for violating jewellery rules and giving him extension. They are quite weak.
Hakuna Matata!

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Ryar wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 11:17
GrizzleBoy wrote:

It all makes sense now.

It's understandable why Latifi would do such a thing against Lewis. For no fault of his own, except a racing incident in Abu Dhabi, he was crucified and got death threats from, obviously over agitated, Lewis fans. So if he feels negative about it, then one can't blame him.
GrizzleBoy wrote:
FIA is really stupid for being leniant in enforcing the rules. Whether it is correcting this kind of behavior or banning a driver for violating jewellery rules and giving him extension. They are quite weak.
Latifis performance is far too poor in general to be put down to an imo implausible idea that he'd have a grudge against Lewis himself because there are idiots on twitter and Instagram, especially when both Mercedes and Lewis came out in his defense.

He's just been doing quite a poor job on track in many different ways and ignoring blue flags is just the latest way.

Sieper

GrizzleBoy wrote:
wogx wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 20:33

It all makes sense now.

Should have counted himself lucky for holding up Sainz for almost half a lap in Monaco with no penalty, but goes to the next race and decides to do the same again, even admitting to try and help one driver over another.

The rules say you need to be out of the way by the time you pass what 3 flags?

Your conclusion is not right. He did not admit he was trying to help one driver over another. He said he first COST Gasly time by keeping him in dirty air in the twisty part, so he wanted to undo that damage by giving him the tow to nullify the negative impact he had. Which is fair imho.

Likely all Just talk trying to explain why he missed the flags again.