2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

Tire selection
C3 - C4 - C5

2021 Results
Qualifying

Race

2021 Pole Lap

2021 Race Highlights

Schedule and more information

Bill

Re: 2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

The Honda powered cars will be untouchable ferrari may have lost their last chance to win a race in Monaco.part of the reason ferrari lost Imola was that their pu was clipping earlier on the straight compared to honda

chrisc90

Looking forward to seeing the difference in speed between the red bull and Ferrari at the end of the long straight. I know its probably not truly representative, but the RB was 6 kmh faster in the speed trap in Miami after the straight.

Im not sure how that plays out in race pace or the cars harvesting/clipping energy on the later part of the straights but it should be interesting to see come Saturday, or even in Free Practice; but I guess engine mode will dictate that a lot.

I have a feeling porpoising is going to be a bit of a problem here

Stu

What are the chances on the podium being the same as last year…

…and what effect would it have on the championship fight!?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

chrisc90

Stu wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 12:54
What are the chances on the podium being the same as last year…

…and what effect would it have on the championship fight!?
Perez probably stands a good chance of the podium. I really cant see Vettel and Gasly being up there this time round. But of course, it only takes 1 red flag 4 laps from the end to seriously spice the race result up.

Spoutnik

This race will be even more difficult tyres temp wise due to the new rules and the difficulty to heat them up. We can expect some crash at very low speed or very difficult SC restart.
I think Merc can be very competitive here on one lap like Ferrari last year.
It's 50-50 for RB-Ferrari. Ferrari improved his straight line speed and can be faster through S2.
It's always been a very strong track for Perez we can expect the same pace as in Monaco from him.
I'm curious to see who will be "best of the rest" : the short wheel base Alfa might suffer, McLaren poor top speed will cost them, Alpine might be the best of the rest.

chrisc90

Spoutnik wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 13:39
This race will be even more difficult tyres temp wise due to the new rules and the difficulty to heat them up. We can expect some crash at very low speed or very difficult SC restart.
It's 50-50 for RB-Ferrari. Ferrari improved his straight line speed and can be faster through S2.
It's always been a very strong track for Perez we can expect the same pace as in Monaco from him.
I'm curious to see who will be "best of the rest" : the short wheel base Alfa might suffer, McLaren poor top speed will cost them, Alpine might be the best of the rest.
Haas have normally been decent on the faster tracks, so I reckon they could raise a few eyebrows with their straight line speed.

Spoutnik

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 13:44
Spoutnik wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 13:39
Haas have normally been decent on the faster tracks, so I reckon they could raise a few eyebrows with their straight line speed.
Yes but still no significant upgrade from them and I think their drivers underperforms a bit.

LM10

Bill wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 12:16
The Honda powered cars will be untouchable ferrari may have lost their last chance to win a race in Monaco.part of the reason ferrari lost Imola was that their pu was clipping earlier on the straight compared to honda
Ok.

LM10

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 12:32
Looking forward to seeing the difference in speed between the red bull and Ferrari at the end of the long straight. I know its probably not truly representative, but the RB was 6 kmh faster in the speed trap in Miami after the straight.

Im not sure how that plays out in race pace or the cars harvesting/clipping energy on the later part of the straights but it should be interesting to see come Saturday, or even in Free Practice; but I guess engine mode will dictate that a lot.

Miami was before major upgrades. Not representative. I wonder why you’ve picked a race several weeks old.

dialtone

LM10 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Miami was before major upgrades. Not representative. I wonder why you’ve picked a race several weeks old.
Also not really true. Average top speed out of DRS between VER and LEC was barely different, 2-3kph.

chrisc90

LM10 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 16:01
chrisc90 wrote:

Because it has a long straight? Which is probably not far between Miami and Baku. Baku might be a bit longer. if there is a more representative straight that can be used to compare speed traps...then fair does.

Baku 2.2km
Miami 1.28km
Catalunya 1.047km

Hence the reasoning for choosing Miami. I mean its still 1km longer, but its the longest straight we had so far in the season.

I mean if we look at the speed differences at each straight...

Imola.

RB(ver) was 8kmh faster than Fer(lec) in the quali before the sprint
RB(ver) was 6kmh faster than Fer(lec) in Miami
Merc(rus) was 6kmh faster than Fer (lec) but RB(ver) was 3kmh down and Fer(sai) was 4kmh down.

So given all the races we've had even pre and post updates....the ferrari has been down on top speed. Given its a longer straight, you would expect there to be a speed difference relative to prior tracks.....unless your hitting the limiter 2/3 way down the straight and then its peak speed of the gear ratio.

dialtone

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 16:27
LM10 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 16:01
chrisc90 wrote:

Because it has a long straight? Which is probably not far between Miami and Baku. Baku might be a bit longer. if there is a more representative straight that can be used to compare speed traps...then fair does.

Baku 2.2km
Miami 1.28km
Catalunya 1.047km

Hence the reasoning for choosing Miami. I mean its still 1km longer, but its the longest straight we had so far in the season.

I mean if we look at the speed differences at each straight...

Imola.

RB(ver) was 8kmh faster than Fer(lec) in the quali before the sprint
RB(ver) was 6kmh faster than Fer(lec) in Miami
Merc(rus) was 6kmh faster than Fer (lec) but RB(ver) was 3kmh down and Fer(sai) was 4kmh down.

So given all the races we've had even pre and post updates....the ferrari has been down on top speed. Given its a longer straight, you would expect there to be a speed difference relative to prior tracks.....unless your hitting the limiter 2/3 way down the straight and then its peak speed of the gear ratio.
More incorrect information, but who's counting... Sainz was the fastest car in Barcelona, by quite a margin too.

this is the 90%ile lap from Barcelona between laps 2 and 65 without DRS. It's useful to check distributions because they are a better representation of what the cars can do rather than checking one single good lap where you probably had significant tow or DRS open.

SAI: 307kph
RUS: 300kph
VER: 303kph
LEC: 304kph

Same thing for Miami, highest speeds:

LEC: 317kph
VER: 319kph
RUS: 314kph
SAI: 316kph

chrisc90

I went off qualifying speed...not average race pace.

dialtone

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 17:45
I went off qualifying speed...not average race pace.
You ignored the comment that talked about significant upgrades then? Because that Ferrari had a less effective DRS has been known forever and they only ran with the better wing in Barcelona so far, the wing for Baku will be the low DF wing with the improved DRS effect too.

In any case, if Monaco was any indication, race wins the race, not quali.