2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 21:16
The words ‘short term fix’ doesn’t sound reassuring for the Ferrari fans
In what way?

I'd be much more concerned if both issues were mid/long-term fixes. I don't think it will be a problem considering it was the first failure of its type all year.

chrisc90

JPower wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 23:07
chrisc90 wrote:
In what way?

I'd be much more concerned if both issues were mid/long-term fixes. I don't think it will be a problem considering it was the first failure of its type all year.
Well it sounds like the have found the problem, but going to make a quick job of it in the mean time to getting a proper fix. So your not getting a proper fix the first time. A bit like a 'bodge' (used loosely)

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 23:15
JPower wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 23:07
chrisc90 wrote:
In what way?

Well it sounds like the have found the problem, but going to make a quick job of it in the mean time to getting a proper fix. So your not getting a proper fix the first time. A bit like a 'bodge' (used loosely)
Its quite probably they mean short term as 'until we redesign it' rather than it'll do for this week.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Seems like some are playing linguistics in here.

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 03:49
Seems like some are playing linguistics in here.
Removed I went off topic, ( I must try harder)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Schippke
Schippke

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would using more power unit components chew into the (Ferrari's) Cost Cap for the season?

Obviously the supply other teams as well which wouldn't be paying you'd imagine for those fixes... but surely that would hamper Ferrari in multiple ways financially to right the issues of the Power Unit...?

dialtone
dialtone

Schippke wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 15:31
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would using more power unit components chew into the (Ferrari's) Cost Cap for the season?

Obviously the supply other teams as well which wouldn't be paying you'd imagine for those fixes... but surely that would hamper Ferrari in multiple ways financially to right the issues of the Power Unit...?
No, engines are a flat $15 mil per season, they don't fit in the cost cap. However pretty obviously they suck time that could be spent on other things given the imminent September deadline.

wowgr8
wowgr8

S D wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 14:02
I think that in spite of what has transpired in the last few races, Ferrari has taken the best approach. The engine is frozen for several seasons. They pushed for maximum power knowing they could eventually correct for reliability. This said this many times.
We would not be happy with suboptimal power and high reliability fighting for 10th.
They will knock down these issues one by one under highest priority.
Perhaps after they did their reliability program they have turned up the engine and as the power is being turned up it exposes weaknesses in all areas of the system that they were unable to see before.
We complained when they didn't have good to speed, they closed that gap with new wings. They could turn the engine down until they solve the issues and we will complain about lack of speed.
Let's hope that they turn it around soon.
And I totally agree. I hope they take the reliability fix opportunity to find even more power. What bothers me is that this season is a golden opportunity to win the championships because Red Bull are a much weaker opponent than Mercedes. It will be so so much tougher to beat Mercedes from 2023 onwards when they're back at the front, but it is what it is.

JPower
JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 17:34
S D wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 14:02
I think that in spite of what has transpired in the last few races, Ferrari has taken the best approach. The engine is frozen for several seasons. They pushed for maximum power knowing they could eventually correct for reliability. This said this many times.
We would not be happy with suboptimal power and high reliability fighting for 10th.
They will knock down these issues one by one under highest priority.
Perhaps after they did their reliability program they have turned up the engine and as the power is being turned up it exposes weaknesses in all areas of the system that they were unable to see before.
We complained when they didn't have good to speed, they closed that gap with new wings. They could turn the engine down until they solve the issues and we will complain about lack of speed.
Let's hope that they turn it around soon.
And I totally agree. I hope they take the reliability fix opportunity to find even more power. What bothers me is that this season is a golden opportunity to win the championships because Red Bull are a much weaker opponent than Mercedes. It will be so so much tougher to beat Mercedes from 2023 onwards when they're back at the front, but it is what it is.
In what way?

Right now, its very clear Red Bull is the top team on and off the track.

wowgr8
wowgr8

JPower wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 17:36
In what way?

Yes, right now but I'm talking historically. I mean look at how Mercedes retook technical supremacy in the middle of last year and became more and more dominant as the season went on, they should've won both titles. When they get back in front they will be the team to beat, at least in my opinion.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Xyz22 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 22:50
We didn't have the fastest car in the race. In the first stint RB was stronger and only with a good strategy call we found ourselves in front.

Sainz was miles off the pace and lost 6s to Leclerc and Max in 8 laps. Overall 8s behind the second RB driver.
Was RB stronger in the first stint? Perez quickly built a 2s lead but it didn't grow any more than that, also Verstappen was on Lec's tail but he couldn't get past even with 8 tenths a lap more speed through DRS and slipstream. To me that showed the race pace was even or even favoured Leclerc a little.

Sainz is just plain slow in the race, he has been all year.

Sieper

If you are on someones tail for 10 laps straight you are quicker. albeit that the super long straight always "sucks" you right back to the one in front of you if you are behind. But most races where Charles and Max had on track overtakes on each other Charles actually built a (slight) gap first before Max could take advantage of longer lasting tires. Here he couldn't do so. He did offer up some DF imho (to be fast on the straights) as S2 he was hardly faster then Max in stint one, even slightly slower imho.

Both Charles and Max have been consistently faster than Checo and Sainz in racetrim when they were not stuck. Here Charles was not yet reeling in Checo. I expected a DRS train to appear in stint 1 for the frontrunners.

JPower
JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 17:45
JPower wrote:
In what way?

Yes, right now but I'm talking historically. I mean look at how Mercedes retook technical supremacy in the middle of last year and became more and more dominant as the season went on, they should've won both titles. When they get back in front they will be the team to beat, at least in my opinion.
F1 doesn't work like that. There's absolutely no guarantee they get back up front. Red Bull outclassed them in strategy last year and finally built the superior car to match that strategy this year.

Gillian
Gillian

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 17:45
JPower wrote:
In what way?

Hard to compare thought isn't it?

The field was much closer when Red Bull won 4 titles with Vettel. And Vettel did some epic qualifying back then, but overall both Alonso and Hamilton where better (imo) those years.

Compare that to the Mercedes dominance where Hamilton just was the best driver for most of the years and the PU played a large rol for the first few years, I'd say it was a totally different time.

Not saying you're right or wrong, but imo it's too hard to compare.

organic

dialtone wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 16:06
Schippke wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 15:31

No, engines are a flat $15 mil per season, they don't fit in the cost cap. However pretty obviously they suck time that could be spent on other things given the imminent September deadline.
I was under the impression that the $15m per season is the cap that constructors can charge a customer for their engine supply. I do not believe that if Ferrari (for example) themselves need to spend more than $15m to construct more engines to run in the season that any excess becomes exempt. The $15m rule is to protect customers being fleeced by the constructors (who would want to reduce their rivals' budget).

It would make zero sense to also apply this $15m rule to constructors who are already incentivized to keep the costs of building more engines down (so as it does not erode further from the budget cap). Making any spending on engines beyond $15m would undermine the budget cap haha