2022 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 17 - 19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
organic

Re: 2022 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 17 - 19

Direct link to FIA article:

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-takes-step ... sts-safety

Excerpt:
A Technical Directive has been issued to give guidance to the teams about the measures the FIA intends to take to tackle the problem. These include:

1. Closer scrutiny of the planks and skids, both in terms of their design and the observed wear
2. The definition of a metric, based on the car’s vertical acceleration, that will give a quantitative limit for acceptable level of vertical oscillations. The exact mathematical formula for this metric is still being analysed by the FIA, and the Formula 1 teams have been invited to contribute to this process.

In addition to these short-term measures, the FIA will convene a technical meeting with the Teams in order to define measures that will reduce the propensity of cars to exhibit such phenomena in the medium term.

Sevach

Hammerfist wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 18:24
organic wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 18:16
Advantage redbull. Just give them both titles already.
From the noise of last weekend, it seemed like Mercedes wanted a universal ride height limiter that would hurt everyone.
This new directive however only hurts teams that have porpoising, teams that don't will still be allowed to run their cars anyway they want, presumably win RBR.

Way to shoot your own foot Toto.
Last edited by Sevach on 16 Jun 2022, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

I said this!!

It will only shoot merc in the foot when they bring in limits teams have to adhere to.

Hammerfist

I'd advise the Merc antagonists to calm down. This is not only going to hurt Merc, but Ferrari as well surely. And when something hurts Ferrari it likely won't stick for too long. We do not know how much performance will be lost because of this new directive. If the Ferrari becomes a midfield car noone will be happy with that and they are going to come up with the inevitable solution for next year: Active suspension.

organic

djones

Will they measure distance up and down or just the g of the up and down?

I’m struggling to see how they would do it without going on the g.

Either way, this will make the season pretty boring as it will impact both Ferrari and Mercedes, allowing Redbull to walk it.

Sure that will make Max fans happy. But for every other fan this is a step backwards imo. We were already seeing how the rule changes just changed who is at the front rather than bringing them all closer.
Last edited by djones on 16 Jun 2022, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

JPower

Hammerfist wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 18:45
I'd advise the Merc antagonists to calm down. This is not only going to hurt Merc, but Ferrari as well surely. And when something hurts Ferrari it likely won't stick for too long. We do not know how much performance will be lost because of this new directive. If the Ferrari becomes a midfield car noone will be happy with that and they are going to come up with the inevitable solution for next year: Active suspension.
According to the data I've seen, there's nothing suggesting the Ferrari is much worse than any other team outside of maybe Red Bull.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

chrisc90

So you campaign for something to stop the bouncing, the FIA comes up with a short term solution to look after the drivers health, which was also campaigned about.

Now going to grab a beer and watch the fans complain about the whole thing they were campaigning to happen.

Limits are going to be set by FP3, so FIA must have enough data on the matter to know where a safe margin lies to protect the drivers.
If it can’t be met, then it’s 10mm up on the ride height, if that doesn’t solve it, then can be disqualified.

Could be interesting come FP3 is some teams setup lies outside the window as could be whole new setup prior to FP3 and quali

JordanMugen

djones wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 19:06
Either way, this will make the season pretty boring as it will impact both Ferrari and Mercedes, allowing Redbull to walk it.
Mercedes lobbied for a rule change to limit porpoising and they got it. They have to be pleased with the lobbying being successful in such short order? :)

In addition to these short-term measures, the FIA will convene a technical meeting with the Teams in order to define measures that will reduce the propensity of cars to exhibit such phenomena in the medium term.
https://www.fia.com/news/fia-takes-step ... sts-safety

Hopefully the unnecessary ideas like active suspension, mass dampers or hydraulic suspension are ruled out.

TNTHead

I think this directive will prioritize in the development battle a solution to porpoising over maximisation of performance.

Still needs to be clarified what the exact limit is and what the effect is on df and laptime.

DiogoBrand

I'm not a Red Bull fan but I think the FIA's decision is fair. Mercedes' attempt to punish everyone else for their own shortcomings has backfired. This decision will reward the ones able to tackle the issue instead of punishing the ones that did a better job.

NAPI10

djones wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 19:06
Will they measure distance up and down or just the g of the up and down?

I’m struggling to see how they would do it without going on the g.

Sure that will make Max fans happy. But for every other fan this is a step backwards imo. We were already seeing how the rule changes just changed who is at the front rather than bringing them all closer.
AM will benefit along with Redbull; not seen much of porpoising on their car either.

vanburin

To me it's the second part of the briefing that is the most important. Working with the teams to find a viable solution. Maybe all this results in is a "freeze" in the budget cap related to suspension/floor development in order to allow teams the ability to focus on a solution that isn't a band-aid fix?

Hammerfist

JPower wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 19:08
Hammerfist wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 18:45
According to the data I've seen, there's nothing suggesting the Ferrari is much worse than any other team outside of maybe Red Bull.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.
But sainz has been one of the most vocal critics and when you watch Ferrari's onboards, it's clear theirs is really bad. Leclerc has not complained yet but this is a guy who once didn't mind driving with no seatbelt on so he obviously doesn't give a hoot about his safety. Ferrari will lose out from this. Almost guaranteed.

BosF1

How is the FIA going to monitor vertical oscillation to the millimeter? Somebody any idea? It seems to me like a hard task to do