McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL36

Macklaren wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 18:13
Tech docs say new rear wing assembly? just track specific or something radical to try and reduce drag?
Best Picture of the rear wing on the MCL36 for Montreal I could find:

SmallSoldier

Floor detail on the MCL36 - Montreal:

Macklaren

Flow viz on rear wing for RIC. something def new there

_cerber1

As far as I understood, they changed the wing support, the swan neck.

diffuser

onewingedangel wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 14:57
With rain possible the higher downforce options will likely be preferable up and down the field if they don't lose too much absolute laptime in the dry.

I'd imagine teams will try a few wings in practice (if dry).
No rain for sunday. So if you setup for a wet quali, you'll be a sitting ground hog on Sunday.

mclaren111

McLaren has also made changes to its rear wing assembly for Canada, as it eyes efficiency gains that will also pay off when the wing is employed at other race venues later in the season.

Lucky

@McLarenF1
‘The world’s fastest brick’

-Pros: good tyre wear and sometimes race pace, good total downforce
-Cons: possibly highest drag on the grid, that really limits its capabilities https://t.co/0MfmX2XGgQ

carisi2k

As much as the W13 needs to raise it's ride height. I feel that the MCL36 needs to drop theirs. I think this car is clearly the one with the highest ride height. I'm sure this is why the car is so slow in a straight line.

I would agree with the "worlds fastest brick" summary for the mclaren. It is so slow in a straight line that it makes it impossible to overtake anybody and conversely is very easy to overtake especially without DRS.

Blackout

Look at that vortex (1st corner braking zone). It seems to start at the front fences trailing edge, so just before the smaller fences of the floor edge wing
SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 19:32
Floor detail on the MCL36 - Montreal:

Maax70

I checked out all T-tray, again McLaren seems the only one diverting the underbody flow up and around the sidepod. Easy to figureout a lot of drag (a sort of aerodinamic plow), maybe it get some downforce but also the underfloor results fed by less energy. All other cars connect the t-tray area mainly with the underfloor not with the sidepods. Considering the results in terms of top speed, I hope they will consider also to re-evaluate this area of the car. Image

Ned S.

Totally agree with Maax70
Sending 25 to 30% of air that should go under the car to create ground efforts and instead channeling it up and then sideways is going to create more drag and less down force. As Lando once said they are lacking grip. And we are down in top speed too.
I was surprised since Lando had qualified 14 why they didn’t take a new power unit he would not have lost many positions and they could have had a new engine in the pool. It sounds like the team doesn’t want to spend money. I have been a fan since late 1960s and hope they get their act together soon. I feel bad for Lando.

Snowblindoz

Ned S. wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 23:38
Sending 25 to 30% of air that should go under the car to create ground efforts and instead channeling it up and then sideways is going to create more drag and less down force. As Lando once said they are lacking grip. And we are down in top speed too.
I was surprised since Lando had qualified 14 why they didn’t take a new power unit he would not have lost many positions and they could have had a new engine in the pool. It sounds like the team doesn’t want to spend money. I have been a fan since late 1960s and hope they get their act together soon. I feel bad for Lando.
Like you i was a bit shocked at first, but then realised, they haven't used ICE 3 yet, so they wouldn't have taken a penalty nor added an ICE to the pool.
They probably thought it was better to save the fresh ICE for a circuit they'd be more competitive at.

CjC
CjC

Ned S. wrote:
I believe it’s Seidl’s wish to complete the season only using 3 ICEs. This would also tally with him saying that he doesn’t think there will be any major car updates in the near future suggesting Mclaren are struggling to stay under the cost cap🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

Xero

CjC wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 18:49
Ned S. wrote:
I believe it’s Seidl’s wish to complete the season only using 3 ICEs. This would also tally with him saying that he doesn’t think there will be any major car updates in the near future suggesting Mclaren are struggling to stay under the cost cap🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
They'll have budgeted for the upgrades throughout the season, so they're tied up from throwing solutions at the car. Expecting one more upgrade package around Hungary/Spa/Zandvoort, then that'll be it. As long as they understand how and why for next season.

PhillipM

Xero wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 19:49
They'll have budgeted for the upgrades throughout the season, so they're tied up from throwing solutions at the car. Expecting one more upgrade package around Hungary/Spa/Zandvoort, then that'll be it. As long as they understand how and why for next season.
Paul Ricard and Singapore apparently but I'm trying to chase up/confirm on that so take it as a rumour for now.