Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AeroDynamic

Re: Mercedes W13

Vaexa

Seems like that defeats the point of having so much exposed floor surface to begin with, doesn't it?

It'll be on Hamilton's car only for FP1, too, from the replies to the same tweet.

Mchamilton

Vaexa wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 19:16
Seems like that defeats the point of having so much exposed floor surface to begin with, doesn't it?

It'll be on Hamilton's car only for FP1, too, from the replies to the same tweet.
Well no because its not really in the 'exposed floor' area people tend to be referring to

GrrG

nico5

holeindalip wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 17:05
siskue2005 wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 16:48
morefirejules08 wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 15:01

Visible between the upper rear suspension arms on the photos posted on Twitter
https://serving.photos.photobox.com/917 ... 7190ba.jpg

You mean this one?
But that's been there for a long time it's not new.
I’ve never seen it before, the normal one goes in front of the rear suspension down to the floor edge and the mounting point can be seen in the photos it’s just not on the car yet….
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVZkbt3XsAc ... =4096x4096
I'm going by my memory but I think those small stays on the diffuser have been run by everyone for many years now

icantride

Well that cutout does seem to confirm the tunnel height is still very low, they just have a very thick floor to try to mitigate flexing

AeroDynamic

Owen.C93

icantride wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 19:42
Well that cutout does seem to confirm the tunnel height is still very low, they just have a very thick floor to try to mitigate flexing
That isn’t the true thickness section. They would have added a vertical perimeter like Alpine so they meet the height requirement when looking side on.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

icantride

Owen.C93 wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 20:38
icantride wrote:
That isn’t the true thickness section. They would have added a vertical perimeter like Alpine so they meet the height requirement when looking side on.
Good point. To me it looks like a cut&shut job sealed with gaffa tape. But could well be like what the Alpines have

AR3-GP

icantride wrote:
The floor is likely hollow or filled with foam where it looks "thick".

hkbruin

It's disappointing to see Mercedes off of their form, but let's face the facts as stated by Andrew Shovlin after FP2: They are throwing darts in pitch black and hoping they hit something of a target.

IGOSNELL

Every weekend has now become a disaster
with no solution in sight. What has happened to all the talk of scrapping this design so they can actually produce a winning car?

djones

IGOSNELL wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 07:53
with no solution in sight. What has happened to all the talk of scrapping this design so they can actually produce a winning car?
The truth is at this stage they probably have scrapped it in terms of expectations for the season at least. Even Hamilton said in an interview yesterday they need to just concentrate on next year now.

I guess they will use the rest of the season just for testing different things with a hope it’s knowledge for next year.

One dilemma they probably have is saving face versus finishing lower on purpose so they have more budget next year. I may be wrong, but understood it the higher you finished the less resource you have the year after.

Big Tea

djones wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 10:08
IGOSNELL wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 07:53
The truth is at this stage they probably have scrapped it in terms of expectations for the season at least. Even Hamilton said in an interview yesterday they need to just concentrate on next year now.

I guess they will use the rest of the season just for testing different things with a hope it’s knowledge for next year.

One dilemma they probably have is saving face versus finishing lower on purpose so they have more budget next year. I may be wrong, but understood it the higher you finished the less resource you have the year after.
I also think this. It is pointless moving to next seasons car with a concept that does not work so they have to spend this season 'examining the body' so they know where not to go next time, or how much of this one to use and how much to throw in the junk box. There may also be an element of driver training?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Goblin42

seems that what happened with the W13 concept is that mercedes went greedy for the most amount of downforce possible with the current rules, that concept coupled with a stiff suspension this year didn't work ,
the only way for them is to find a compromise between the downforce generated by the floor & the downforce generated by the bodywork & Front and rear wings ,
they tried a setup in FP1 to reduce the amount of downforce generated by the floor by making a big cutt through the side but it failed pretty bad