2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Swed3120
Swed3120

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 23:31
Stig14 wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 23:17
CjC wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 23:14
It’s tough being a Mclaren fan.
If it was easy, everyone would do it!

Tough day but the points are handed out tomorrow and I think there's a lot of racing to come yet...
Tell me about it- been doing it for sometime now.

I honestly thought Mclaren would do better today, seemingly having a tad more downforce than the other midfielders and Lando in one of the cars- I thought we could have done what Alonso has done but it wasn’t too be.
I am kind of hopeful for tomorrow for a change, I think a few drivers have qualified ahead of Mclaren today who aren’t quicker than the Mclarens in dry race pace mode🤞🏻
Agree with that , would be surprised if one or both of the Haas don’t drop like anchors tomorrow

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 19:44
mwillems wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 09:29
trinidefender wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 02:37

Of course the drag is related to the wings. Bigger wings will equal more drag. Sounds like you're just referring to the balance of the car.
All cars have drag. "The drag" is not drag in general, "the drag" we refer to when we talk about the Mclaren for the past 2 months is the exceptional drag which causes the car to be a dog on the straights, apologies I thought this was clear.

The statement that we have only run high DF packages was not true as Baku had low DF wings. This did not stop the car being awful in a straight line therefore "The drag" is not caused by any need to run high DF wings.

In fact the car is pretty handy in corners.
The fact that the car is good in the corners but slow in the straights on typical low downforce tracks seems to indicate that the team can afford to use even smaller wings to bias lap time generated on straights instead of corners. This leads me to believe that they aren't doing it for another reason, the most likely coming to mind is tyre wear. Maybe they've discovered that tyre wear on their car goes up drastically with reduced downforce.

Baku requires a certain amount of wing, you can't run a very low downforce front or rear wing here as it will compromise the lap.

The rear in particular needs to be strong.

Whether the car needs more DF fir tyre wear or not I'm not sure, but one thing that the team have struggled to shake off is Landos 100 points of DF comment, despite the car not being that bad again.

Since then everyone assumes we are running wing to claw back DF when truth be told we seem OK now and actually handy in the corners, certainly after the brake package and the other upgrades.

What makes you think we struggle with tyres?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

djos

Solid job by Daniel in qualifying, he was looking Good through the entire session. Clearly the car is coming to him now and giving him confidence.

Frustrating session for Lando tho. The Swings and roundabouts of F1 can be cruel.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Yeah Dan has looked to have a slight edge on Lando overall so far, decent spot to start from inside the top 10. Hard luck to Lando he said he started having PU issues at the end of Q1. Dan has had alot of bad luck too so far this year. Like you said swings and roundabouts. Looking forward to the race.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Zak comes out and puts all the nonsense to rest with Ricciardo saying their relationship has never been better. I think some people look a bit silly with all the talk of him getting the boot and Zak wanting to get rid of him etc.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/85171 ... criticism/

djos

runningmanz wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 04:51
Zak comes out and puts all the nonsense to rest with Ricciardo saying their relationship has never been better. I think some people look a bit silly with all the talk of him getting the boot and Zak wanting to get rid of him etc.

It was just a beat up by lazy journos and some haters with nothing good happening in their own lives.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 05:03
runningmanz wrote:

It was just a beat up by lazy journos and some haters with nothing good happening in their own lives.
Yeah agreed apparently everything has to be a conspiracy these days with everyone out to get each other. Can't possibly be that they actually get along well, I guess that doesn't create enough drama or sell stories.

mclaren111

djos wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

Sadly, that's the state of journalism in this day & age... 95% Idiots...

djos

Sadly true. 😢
"In downforce we trust"

McG

djos wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

What a disgusting attitude to have. So because anyone questions Ricciardo, and rightly so (his own boss even did), they have nothing good happening in their own life lol. Kind of understandable considering your location. Seems you have teamed up with the new resident apologist. All the best to Ricciardo but the Baku result and qualifying here doesn't mean much.
F1 is dead.

Swed3120
Swed3120

McG wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 15:57
djos wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

What a disgusting attitude to have. So because anyone questions Ricciardo, and rightly so (his own boss even did), they have nothing good happening in their own life lol. Kind of understandable considering your location. Seems you have teamed up with the new resident apologist. All the best to Ricciardo but the Baku result and qualifying here doesn't mean much.
Competly agree, a couple of good races doesn’t mean you’ve solved your issue, just look at last year, Dan had a few good races but by no means did that change the outcome of his season.
To stay at McLaren with his current salary/position. He will have to consistently match and beat Norris for the entire rest of season and that may well not be enough to change the managements minds. Just look at Gasly, 1/2 a bad season and he Is now never welcome back at RB and is spoilt Good for most of the grid.
Don’t see a way out of this for dan

Oh and , journos max be lazy , but even the lazy ones follow smoke, and there‘s only smoke where there is fire.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Daniel will be there next year. Gasly confirmed at AT all but seals it.

Xero

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 16:41
Daniel will be there next year. Gasly confirmed at AT all but seals it.
I don't think it was ever in doubt. The Gasly thing was a typical social media narrative that today's "media" love to jump all over as "inside knowledge". :lol:

mwillems

DragonSGC wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 23:18
Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 23:16
This time I have to criticise the whole team. The car is draggy as hell and not able to compete even in mixed conditions compared to last year.
Daniel isnt known as a wet weather driver as Ver, Sai, Ham etc is Norris was excellent in changeable conditions last year so not sure where he would have gotten if he didnt have PU issue but it very much looked like the team was a bit lost in setup tyres just werent there.
Except for Spa and Sochi where he endured a torrid time after poor decisions and overcooking it... :mrgreen:
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

mwillems wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 16:44
DragonSGC wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 23:18
Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 23:16
This time I have to criticise the whole team. The car is draggy as hell and not able to compete even in mixed conditions compared to last year.
Daniel isnt known as a wet weather driver as Ver, Sai, Ham etc is Norris was excellent in changeable conditions last year so not sure where he would have gotten if he didnt have PU issue but it very much looked like the team was a bit lost in setup tyres just werent there.
Except for Spa and Sochi where he endured a torrid time after poor decisions and overcooking it... :mrgreen:
Both were his errors one of over confidence and the other tunnel vision but in Spa before that moment he was heading for pole, and those I guess are important learning moments for him, how many times has hamilton used China 2007 as a reminder to do or not to do certain things when it gets wet.