2022 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 17 - 19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 17 - 19

I think the ruling RE the safety car infringement for Vettel is a interesting one, given the wording about dropping back places then catching them up again before it ends

PlatinumZealot

It's ammost laughable that Alonso has resorted to pulling desperate moves of late, but I like that he still has that fire in his belly.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

fritticaldi

The fact that Sainz had the fastest lap of the race is very indicative of something. The Ferrari is still a force to be reckoned with. Red Bull are not bullet proof. Checo's gremlins is a testimony of that.

chrisc90

fritticaldi wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2022, 00:00
The fact that Sainz had the fastest lap of the race is very indicative of something. The Ferrari is still a force to be reckoned with. Red Bull are not bullet proof. Checo's gremlins is a testimony of that.
He was probably helped along with a huge tow from Max with DRS though.

ringo

siskue2005 wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 23:52
Mchamilton wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 23:48
Alonsismo wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 23:46
that penalty its just another --- joke from the maFIA
Why is it? Its pretty well established that you can't drive like that in F1
Alonso after the hype yesterday fell like a stone today. The alpine didn't have any pace, however, his antics after he lost out to ocon was hilarious. He was saying "I need to be ahead, I was 100 times faster than him" :lol: reminded me of his famous "I brought 7 tenths" claim I'm 2007 :D and in that desperation he blocked bottas very hard...he knew exactly what he was doing.
Haha I did not expect any different behavior from the great Alonso. The weaving was dangerous. He could have caused a big accident, but Alonso being Alonso, knew that that overtake was a done deal.
Ocon had a good race. Had good pace and was moving along really nicely. Just bad strategy caused Alonso, but it doesnt give him the right to ask Ocon to step aside for his side of the garage's mistake.
For Sure!!

dialtone

chrisc90 wrote:
If VER was faster he would have gapped like he did in baku and other races. He wasn't faster today but won anyway, which is a good skill to have.

elMaestro

Merc fell back because Lewis in the last 10 laps he was told to do lift and coast 150 - 200m before the first corner. Merc was good this race, the closest they have been this season.

chrisc90

elMaestro wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2022, 00:14
Merc fell back because Lewis in the last 10 laps he was told to do lift and coast 150 - 200m before the first corner. Merc was good this race, the closest they have been this season.
Do you know the reason why?

dialtone

2022 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 17 - 19

elMaestro wrote:Merc fell back because Lewis in the last 10 laps he was told to do lift and coast 150 - 200m before the first corner. Merc was good this race, the closest they have been this season.
He lift and coasted only at the hairpin for the last laps after SC. That cost him around 0.1s per lap.

He was closer yes, looking at Ocon's Alpine in front of Leclerc you could see that they never took any kerbs, unlike Lec who was all over any kerb.

I think this track doesn't reward kerb riding much, and running hard suspensions and limit porpoising end up being rewarded.

This is likely the reason why everyone was closer this race vs baku. Suspensions is likely the biggest difference between top teams and the rest.

Sieper

Ofcourse they are. And have been all season.

Sieper

dialtone wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2022, 00:07
chrisc90 wrote:
If VER was faster he would have gapped like he did in baku and other races. He wasn't faster today but won anyway, which is a good skill to have.
He did have unfortunate VSC and especially SC to deal with. That made his tire situation worse than Sainz. As frontrunner you are usually in a bit of a pickle when these (V)SC happen. Rest can react.

Sieper

ringo wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2022, 00:05
siskue2005 wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 23:52
Mchamilton wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 23:48

Why is it? Its pretty well established that you can't drive like that in F1
Alonso after the hype yesterday fell like a stone today. The alpine didn't have any pace, however, his antics after he lost out to ocon was hilarious. He was saying "I need to be ahead, I was 100 times faster than him" :lol: reminded me of his famous "I brought 7 tenths" claim I'm 2007 :D and in that desperation he blocked bottas very hard...he knew exactly what he was doing.
Haha I did not expect any different behavior from the great Alonso. The weaving was dangerous. He could have caused a big accident, but Alonso being Alonso, knew that that overtake was a done deal.
Ocon had a good race. Had good pace and was moving along really nicely. Just bad strategy caused Alonso, but it doesnt give him the right to ask Ocon to step aside for his side of the garage's mistake.
Alonso had an ERS issue.

Sieper

Spoutnik wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 22:57
chrisc90 wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 22:40
Spoutnik wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 22:37
For me this championship is over. RB/Max are superior operationally to Ferrari/Charles.
Only Merc/Lewis(George ?) can cope with theses guys.
If I want to be provocative I would tsay there's more chance of a Merc title challenge than a Ferrari one...
I think Ferrari actually had a decent strategy this weekend. Given the slow stop for Lec with the rear jack man being a bit eager which put him a little out of position. Capitalised on the virtual safety car stop.
Yes you are right but in the end Verstappen took the 25 points. Sainz wasn't going for the kill in qualy or behind Verstappen. Leclerc stop was slow. It's very little weaknesses (this weekend) but it's not the top level Hamilton/Merc had in the 2nd half of 2021 which allowed him to (almost) win the title.

Leclerc's remontada wasn't bad but I mean again look at Brazil 2021 or even Verstappen in Sochi.
Leclerc missed the chicane coming onto the pit straight, could have easily cost him the race.

dialtone

Sieper wrote:
dialtone wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2022, 00:07
chrisc90 wrote: He was probably helped along with a huge tow from Max with DRS though.
He did have unfortunate VSC and especially SC to deal with. That made his tire situation worse than Sainz. As frontrunner you are usually in a bit of a pickle when these (V)SC happen. Rest can react.
So did Sainz i think. The second VSC happened right when he passed the line and could pit but had to wait the whole lap, and then the vsc went out while he was pitting making him lose the full time of a pit basically.

chrisc90

Fact Offence Decision Reason
5 - Sebastian Vettel
Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant F1 Team
15:10
Race
Failure to keep within 10 car lengths of the car in front under Safety Car conditions.
Alleged breach of Article 55.7 of the Formula One Sporting Regulations.
No further action.
The Stewards heard from the driver of car 5 (Sebastian Vettel) and the team representative, and examined GPS evidence.
After initially closing up to the car in front under the Safety Car procedure, for a period of time car 5 did not maintain the 10-car length rule. However, towards the end of the Safety Car period re-closed the gap and then maintained the required position until the race resumption. The Stewards also note that there were other drivers who also failed to keep to the 10-car lengths at different times during the procedure but that all were compliant at the end of the Safety Car period. Therefore the Stewards conclude that a penalty for car 5 is not appropriate in these circumstances.
Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal certain decisions of the Stewards, in accordance with Article 15 of the FIA International Sporting Code and Chapter 4 of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, within the applicable time limits

This could have a bearing on future safety cars. Effectively allowing someone to drop out of the 10 car gap, slowing the rest of the field up, and then closing back up at greater speed as the SC is about to end. Almost seems like they are engineering a loophole into the rules regarding safety car gap. (A bit like the being alongside that Max always used to do)