2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Alonsismo wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 14:09
leclerc did a very discrete race... so i dont think he could have done better...
Nah, that rear wing killed leclerc's race and was in hindsight a wrong call by ferrari. Sometimes you simply need rear downforce to protect the tyres. Verstappen's gamble in sochi 2021 comes to mind, fast on straights but nowhere in sector 3 and just couldn't do anything after that (got saved by rain in the end).

Even straight line speed didn't seem that much better compared to rest of the grid on more regular setups, certainly nowhere close to red bull in saudi. Furthermore, as demonstrated by sainz it was perfectly possible to overtake alpines even on like-for-like tyre age with a normal wing. So despite how much fans hate that wing with less than perfect drs flap it was still much better on this track than alternative.

wowgr8

Juzh wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 14:18
Nah, that rear wing killed leclerc's race and was in hindsight a wrong call by ferrari. Sometimes you simply need rear downforce to protect the tyres. Verstappen's gamble in sochi 2021 comes to mind, fast on straights but nowhere in sector 3 and just couldn't do anything after that (got saved by rain in the end).

Even straight line speed didn't seem that much better compared to rest of the grid on more regular setups, certainly nowhere close to red bull in saudi. Furthermore, as demonstrated by sainz it was perfectly possible to overtake alpines even on like-for-like tyre age with a normal wing. So despite how much fans hate that wing with less than perfect drs flap it was still much better on this track than alternative.
Leclerc tried the Sainz wing on Friday and found it tough to overtake, I have no idea why Sainz found to so easy to pass Alonso but his wing's weakness was shown when he had to try and get past Max.

For Charles the wing choice was between two evils, more df, less tyre wear but less DRS or less df, worse handling but more DRS.

His wing choice was working until he got stuck behind Ocon.

JPower

Apparently Leclerc's wing was due to be introduced at Silverstone but was shipped early.

Both cars will have it at the next race.

Will be an interesting one especially if Red Bull brings an upgrade package. I think it's Leclerc's best track so he should be in contention for the win regardless.

aleks_ader

Only thing i would change/rethink is tire allocation management during race weekend. Now was couple of races in row when any driver could put on 2nd new-ish SOFT tires but they dint pick those because they were scrubbed. Maybe rethinking qualifying and practice programme is in order . Maybe is wise to save at least 2nd prime tire for one of those cases when u need tire offset later in race.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

MV8
MV8

The team is bringing updates at Silverstone? sidepod?
Just posting

wowgr8

JPower wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 15:38
Apparently Leclerc's wing was due to be introduced at Silverstone but was shipped early.

Will be an interesting one especially if Red Bull brings an upgrade package. I think it's Leclerc's best track so he should be in contention for the win regardless.
Interesting. That wing seems really low downforce for Silverstone but I'm glad it will be there anyway.

I worry about porpoising at that track, with all those high speed corners and also the TD that should be in effect that will possibly harm Ferrari.

codetower

Juzh wrote:
Alonsismo wrote:
leclerc did a very discrete race... so i dont think he could have done better...

It wasn't so much the wing, as the tyre age. When he got stuck behind Ocon, his tyres were about 20 laps older than Ocons. Ocon was on a fresh set. Then again on his final stint, there wasn't much more he could do to catch Russel. First off, that slooow pit-stop hurt him behind the DRS train again, then after passing the McLaren, the two Alfas, anf catching the Alo and Oco again (on slightly older tyres), by the time he got within 2-3 seconds of Russel, his Mediums were already running high 20's on laps. I'm not sure there was much more he could do.

aleks_ader

I also think Merc executed last stint smartly. They initially didn't took life from tire completely because they knew first 2 places were nowhere to reach , So they just waited knowingly that LEC could jump over both Alpines at any movement. So when LEC overtook Oco RUS immediately raised the pace by 1 second and matched LEC. Was quite smart. And LEC really put maximum he could. Only unfortunate was LEC 5.3s pitstop that hurt him and in hindsight maybe he could attacked Merc with fresher tires, because Alpines couldn't go for fresh tires .
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

dxpetrov

JPower wrote:

He already used that wing in Baku.

dialtone

dxpetrov wrote:
JPower wrote:

He already used that wing in Baku.
Baku had a different wing, not the one he used in Canada.

Xyz22

Juzh wrote:
Alonsismo wrote:

Leclerc's race was killed by Albon DRS train (lapping in high 19, mid 20 with Bottas struggling to overtake him) and by the second VSC which allowed Ocon to have 21 laps fresher tyres compared to Leclerc. I doubt anyone would have been able to overtake Ocon easily with 21 laps older tyres.
Then, of course, he was forced to attack earlier in the lap because Alonso was exploiting Ocon tow + DRS after the SC restart.
Leclerc was extremely strong in the braking zone and was able to complete the overtake in turn 10 while having DRS to defend in the straight.

f1316

Saw a stat today showing that Ferrari has almost as many constructors championship points in 2022 as Mercedes had at this stage in 2021.

Given Mercedes won the constructors championship - and, let’s not forget, had a lot of engine penalties along the way - this seems encouraging for Ferrari, despite the fact they could and probably should be better off.

Big Tea

f1316 wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 04:00
Saw a stat today showing that Ferrari has almost as many constructors championship points in 2022 as Mercedes had at this stage in 2021.

Given Mercedes won the constructors championship - and, let’s not forget, had a lot of engine penalties along the way - this seems encouraging for Ferrari, despite the fact they could and probably should be better off.
RedBull and Merc both have 2 attacking drivers this year, so it will probably be harder to gather the 'other' (not win) points which all add up
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Fer.Fan

Alonsismo wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 23:51
why ferrari didnt put mediums for sainz at the SC????
Ferrari strategy are very poor, if you want win the race use red softs insted. With softs Carlos would have won the race. Last stint after SC was only 15 laps long.

JPower