2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

runningmanz wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 06:51
Yeah just a shocking weekend all round. I'm sure Seidl is on top of it though with the reviews etc. Very smart and successful leader. We just have to figure out how to reduce the drag without sacrificing the grip. The other problem is the bloody cost cap you can't just go changing out bits willy nilly using up money so might take more time to bring the right upgrades to try and fix the problem.
It just means you can't change the same piece every weekend. Kind of like double sided printing instead of single sided, with the number of pages used being capped. You have to wait till you have 2 pages to print to save on paper but the changes still get incorporated. The development takes the same amount of time but the changes at the track are more drastic. I would presume that they're would be more Development time wasted if the upgrades don't work.

Emag

I feel like apart from 4th, there is no other realistic target for McLaren this season. Mercedes is objectively out of reach. Lewis literally had leader's pace in Canada, barely a tenth behind them.

We have fundamental issues in the car in the form of crazy high drag. Mercedes only has porpoising to deal with. In Spain, on a smooth surface, they showed they are much much closer to the front two rather than the midfield.

And if I am being honest, if we only go by the latest results, even 4th is not realistic. They have had subpar performance (with the exception of Monaco in Lando's hands), and rivals like Alpine and Aston Martin have had major improvements on their respective cars. I just hope they can address that drag, because it's really costing them a lot at the moment. On the dry FP sessions in Canada they were losing about 0.7s on the last sector to the top guys. And for a section with two straights and a chicane between them that's not okay.

Mansell89

Emag wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 20:46
I feel like apart from 4th, there is no other realistic target for McLaren this season. Mercedes is objectively out of reach. Lewis literally had leader's pace in Canada, barely a tenth behind them.

We have fundamental issues in the car in the form of crazy high drag. Mercedes only has porpoising to deal with. In Spain, on a smooth surface, they showed they are much much closer to the front two rather than the midfield.

And if I am being honest, if we only go by the latest results, even 4th is not realistic. They have had subpar performance (with the exception of Monaco in Lando's hands), and rivals like Alpine and Aston Martin have had major improvements on their respective cars. I just hope they can address that drag, because it's really costing them a lot at the moment. On the dry FP sessions in Canada they were losing about 0.7s on the last sector to the top guys. And for a section with two straights and a chicane between them that's not okay.
Yeah agreed, without addressing the issue we would certainly struggle for 4th and would be in and out of Q3 I think.

That said, if we could do something like Alpine have done, however our package could do that kind of thing, that might unlock some really decent pace.

The only thing that worries me is the earlier in the season interviews that said fundamentally the philosophy works. I just hope they had earmarked drag reduction as one of the major upgrade packages early on so the sooner the better

diffuser

Mansell89 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 21:30
Emag wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 20:46

Yeah agreed, without addressing the issue we would certainly struggle for 4th and would be in and out of Q3 I think.

That said, if we could do something like Alpine have done, however our package could do that kind of thing, that might unlock some really decent pace.

The only thing that worries me is the earlier in the season interviews that said fundamentally the philosophy works. I just hope they had earmarked drag reduction as one of the major upgrade packages early on so the sooner the better
All you can do it keep working to make the car better.

Oddly I think that McLaren has the better floor than Alpine. I suspect McLaren have looked worse than they are at the last 2 races. We'll see how they do with the highspeed corners of Silverstone. I suspect that Alpine have a new floor on the way.

CjC
CjC

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/norri ... /10325664/

I get what Lando means but he has to remember the 2019 season where one week Mclaren was 4th quickest and then the following week 6th quickest. That’s where they are this season again it’s what the midfield is all about.
If it was a clean and dry quali then both drivers probably would have been in the top 10 and if a clean race was excecuted both drivers would have scored points.
Chin up lad.
I know what I’ve said is ifa, coulda, woulda but all Mclaren can aim for is scoring a couple of points each race. They managed that in Baku and could have managed it in Canada.
Everyone agrees that Merc are too far ahead and there’s no chance of a genuine podium.

Just need to sort the drag issue out- that keeps dragging on (!🤪) whether that is this season or next who knows. It’s clear to see developing so long into the 2021 season was now a mistake because a) Ferrari still beat them to P3 and b) are now on average very midpack this season fighting teams who have developed their 2022 car more to begin with and also have more wind tunnel and CFD allowance (please remind me, is CFD restricted like the wind tunnel time as well?)
Just a fan's point of view

McL-H

CjC wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 23:15
(please remind me, is CFD restricted like the wind tunnel time as well?)
Yes, limitation accounts to both wind tunnel and CFD time.

runningmanz

diffuser wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 19:04
runningmanz wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 06:51
Yeah just a shocking weekend all round. I'm sure Seidl is on top of it though with the reviews etc. Very smart and successful leader. We just have to figure out how to reduce the drag without sacrificing the grip. The other problem is the bloody cost cap you can't just go changing out bits willy nilly using up money so might take more time to bring the right upgrades to try and fix the problem.
It just means you can't change the same piece every weekend. Kind of like double sided printing instead of single sided, with the number of pages used being capped. You have to wait till you have 2 pages to print to save on paper but the changes still get incorporated. The development takes the same amount of time but the changes at the track are more drastic. I would presume that they're would be more Development time wasted if the upgrades don't work.
Yeah can't go wasting money so have to make sure as best you can that the upgrades are going to work.

djos

lol, the press has changed it it’s tune on Daniel! 🤦‍♂️
Daniel Ricciardo is enjoying a return to form with McLaren. It’s just a shame about the car

McLaren targeted a return the frontrunning pack in 2022, but the campaign so far has been a major disappointment. The team earnt itself a suspended judgment after a disrupted pre-season and when some clear flaws were discovered in the opening races, but the cures to the car’s ills in May have moved it no further up the pecking order.

If anything, the team is slipping further off the pace. And so despite Ricciardo’s optimism for more points in Montreal, the car beneath him just wasn’t up to the task.
https://apple.news/AqAu7d_JlRXmPHVQbLMFvpg
"In downforce we trust"

ScottR267

Appreciate there is the cost cap, however does anyone know if McLaren managed to poach any highly rated or top engineers from other teams? Could some fresh blood breed fresh ideas to propel them forward?

runningmanz

Lando mentioned some updates coming for Silverstone, hopefully reducing drag is at the top of the list.

runningmanz

djos wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 09:46
Daniel Ricciardo is enjoying a return to form with McLaren. It’s just a shame about the car

McLaren targeted a return the frontrunning pack in 2022, but the campaign so far has been a major disappointment. The team earnt itself a suspended judgment after a disrupted pre-season and when some clear flaws were discovered in the opening races, but the cures to the car’s ills in May have moved it no further up the pecking order.

If anything, the team is slipping further off the pace. And so despite Ricciardo’s optimism for more points in Montreal, the car beneath him just wasn’t up to the task.
So fickle, what about his other weekends where he drove well and was on Landos pace like Bahrain, Jeddah, Oz and Imola (mostly).

_cerber1

runningmanz wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 12:58
Lando mentioned some updates coming for Silverstone, hopefully reducing drag is at the top of the list.
Where did he say it?

djos

runningmanz wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 13:00
djos wrote:

So fickle, what about his other weekends where he drove well and was on Landos pace like Bahrain, Jeddah, Oz and Imola (mostly).
Yep, they just write whatever rubbish that pops into their tiny little minds!
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

djos wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 13:15
runningmanz wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 13:00
djos wrote:

Yep, they just write whatever rubbish that pops into their tiny little minds!
They write "click bait". Anything that is controversal to get you click on it but it's nowhere near the truth.

djos

Pretty much.
"In downforce we trust"