Dakar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
manchild

Dakar

I enjoy seeing Schlesser with only two cars beating big, fat, rich works teams of Mitsubishi and VW. They should really be ashamed – despite all support, budget, logistics and number of cars Schlesser buggies still finish 1-2 in front of them.

Cyco

Andy Caldercot

This amazing race unfortunaly sees another death, Australain rider Andy Caldercot.

Best wishes to his wife and children.

Apex

Let's see at the end of the race where the unreiable ford powered cars finish!

Yes, it is a great pitty that we lost one more of the people who are brave enough to attempt this truly epic race!

I heard something along the lines that on average more than 1 person dies per race.... can anyone confirm this? If this is the case i'm surprised that the event continues.

manchild

Deaths at Dakar are common thing since the beginning. This year they limited the max speeds and banned use of GPS but that wasn't enough. Except the crashes some drivers have been killed by landmines, got lost in the desert, got killed by local terrorists/troops etc.

Perhaps Ford is unreliable but knowing Schlesser and his previous success on Dakar I hope he knows what he's doing. Anyway, when he wins over Mitsubishi and VW that is like as if Minardi was beating Ferrari having in mind the budget. Don’t forget 1999 when Schlesser won overall.

manchild

Just checked - 23 death in 28 years.

Spencifer_Murphy

23 deaths in 28years...my god. thats high. Good thing Mosley's not getting involved with that mortality rate there'd be no more Dakar.

But that said it is a terrible shame that so many have lost their lives. But like Senna, they probably died doing something they loved. Which (despite the horror of the event of death itself) can olny be a good thing. If you're gonna die...die going summit you love.

Oh btw...how do they think that banning GPS will decrease death rate?! Thats just as absurb as Mosley thinking 3race engines will lower costs!!!

I mean like you said they have died by getting lost and (im assuming) subsequently starving...surely GPS would prevent this???
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

johny

Banning GPS isn't related with safety, it's just to see more navigation

Spencifer_Murphy

Ooooooh...now tht makes more sence. Still though...with such a high mortality rate in the event I wouldn't have banned GPS anyway, its quite obvious that it could reduce deaths caused by getting lost. But thats just my opinion.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

greenpower dude reloaded

I have to agree with you manchild those Schlesser Fords are awesome peices of machinery

manchild

Two boys killed in Dakar 2006 in 2 days!

10 and 12 years old

3 deaths so far...

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/ ... 3804.shtml
With a constant concern to enhance the safety of competitors and local populations, regulations for the 2006 edition have been modified. Over and beyond this priority aim, certain measures will provide an extra edge to the competition and will, in particular, make it possible for all crews to put their navigational skills and intuitions into practice. Setting up such an infrastructure will reduce inequalities between professional and amateur drivers or riders. The measures outlined below are subject to new regulations being drawn up by FIA and IMF who are currently arbitrating. Nevertheless, ASO. reserves the right to adopt specific measures if the provisons made by FIA / IMF do not correspond to the particular Dakar environment and do not ensure balance between professional and amateur performances.
http://www.dakar.com/2006/presentation/ ... urite.html :roll:

DaveKillens

Dakar is a great race, one with great risks and rewards. All competitors are fully aware of the very real risk of death and the race's mortality record. So although any death is a sad tragedy, to see a competitor die is an inherent risk of this race.
But when children who have nothing to do with the race, total innocents get killed, it's just plain unconscionable.

Steven
Owner

And it's finished...

Luc Alphand did the job!! I was a fan of his when he was still skiing, and now he's the best in Dakar, beating Peterhansel. Not bad if you ask me ;)

Winner with the motorcycles is Coma, the guy didn't even win one single stage but it appeared to be good enough ;)

johnny comelately

Re: Dakar

2023 Dakar Rally Route Revealed and future proposals regarding fuels: hydrogen, bio and synthetics

johnny comelately

Andres125sx

johnny comelately wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 01:21
Nice, didn´t see the new car yet :D

Some more shots of the new car in action