McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Xero

Re: McLaren MCL36

PhillipM wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 20:58
Xero wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 19:49
They'll have budgeted for the upgrades throughout the season, so they're tied up from throwing solutions at the car. Expecting one more upgrade package around Hungary/Spa/Zandvoort, then that'll be it. As long as they understand how and why for next season.
Paul Ricard and Singapore apparently but I'm trying to chase up/confirm on that so take it as a rumour for now.
That would make sense if there are 2 planned upgrades then. Would imagine both will be on the smaller size, and reactive to the previous upgrade package, but time will tell I guess!

Mansell89

PhillipM wrote:
Xero wrote:
They'll have budgeted for the upgrades throughout the season, so they're tied up from throwing solutions at the car. Expecting one more upgrade package around Hungary/Spa/Zandvoort, then that'll be it. As long as they understand how and why for next season.
Paul Ricard and Singapore apparently but I'm trying to chase up/confirm on that so take it as a rumour for now.
Thanks as always for any small insights :)

I know we spoke at the start of the season about the Mercedes PU- is there any further view from within that suggests any power deficits compared to Honda, Ferrari or Renault since this new E10 fuel was mandated?

I know we look quite draggy regardless but there have rarely been obvious moments of Mercedes PU might at all this season, across any works or customer team.

It just looks and feels so different to 2014-2021, especially that incredible Mercedes power in Brazil.

Any more chat about engine modes/reliability concerns?

diffuser

Mansell89 wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 00:13
PhillipM wrote:
Xero wrote:

I know we spoke at the start of the season about the Mercedes PU- is there any further view from within that suggests any power deficits compared to Honda, Ferrari or Renault since this new E10 fuel was mandated?

I know we look quite draggy regardless but there have rarely been obvious moments of Mercedes PU might at all this season, across any works or customer team.

It just looks and feels so different to 2014-2021, especially that incredible Mercedes power in Brazil.

All I keep hearing is that all PUs are just about equal. They each excel in different facets but power wise they within .1% of each other.

djos

“The race“ has an interesting video up on the MCL36 and it’s weaknesses.

"In downforce we trust"

Stu

Xero wrote:
CjC wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 18:49
Ned S. wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 23:38
Totally agree with Maax70
Sending 25 to 30% of air that should go under the car to create ground efforts and instead channeling it up and then sideways is going to create more drag and less down force. As Lando once said they are lacking grip. And we are down in top speed too.
I was surprised since Lando had qualified 14 why they didn’t take a new power unit he would not have lost many positions and they could have had a new engine in the pool. It sounds like the team doesn’t want to spend money. I have been a fan since late 1960s and hope they get their act together soon. I feel bad for Lando.
I believe it’s Seidl’s wish to complete the season only using 3 ICEs. This would also tally with him saying that he doesn’t think there will be any major car updates in the near future suggesting Mclaren are struggling to stay under the cost cap🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
The budget cap also has to cover the design & development of next years car; if you are struggling to find a balance with the current car, but have pace enough to be 4th/5th in the championship - but are not close to third, it makes sense to target resources into 2023 rather than ‘kitchen sink’ the 2022 developments for little/no gain. Particularly if you have identified the cause of your issues.
A canny game if you play it correctly.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mclaren111

2022 is now a test session for 2023... Let's hope they get it right this time... [-o< [-o<

Maax70

Hoping to be proved wrong by the next races, I start thinking that the problems with the brakes and/or the performance of RIC have distracted attention from the real problem of the car. Minor changes to sidepods or aerodynamic details I'm afraid won't correct a possibly uneffective design philosophy around ground effect. Working in that area could require interventions on the lower part of the chassis which may not be feasible during the current season. Let's see how next upgrades will works.

PhillipM

Mansell89 wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 00:13

As others have said, it looks like most manufacturers got something close to parity, since the small map changes on the second PUs there doesn't look to be a lot in it - you can see it's not that difficult for Merc, etc, to overtake, just Mclarens struggling a little.
There's probably small stuff but all PU manufacturers are refining as the year goes on, don't expect anything noticable though.

djos

Makes sense, there’s no point throwing the kitchen sink at the car till its weaknesses and strengths are fully understood.
Andreas Seidl hints McLaren focusing on improving current package rather than new upgrades
https://apple.news/AD5SZw1p8RFyA752aHiKy5A
Seidl’s comments suggest that the team feels as though the base of the car is sound, however, and if they can just find its optimal set-up and make some tweaks to certain aspects, they can have a positive second half of the season.
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

Stu wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 08:39
Xero wrote:
CjC wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 18:49

I believe it’s Seidl’s wish to complete the season only using 3 ICEs. This would also tally with him saying that he doesn’t think there will be any major car updates in the near future suggesting Mclaren are struggling to stay under the cost cap🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
The budget cap also has to cover the design & development of next years car; if you are struggling to find a balance with the current car, but have pace enough to be 4th/5th in the championship - but are not close to third, it makes sense to target resources into 2023 rather than ‘kitchen sink’ the 2022 developments for little/no gain. Particularly if you have identified the cause of your issues.
A canny game if you play it correctly.
The only thing I'll add to this is that next year's car is, said by most teams, to cost about $30 million less than this year's. The 2023 car isn't a complete redesign and there for has plenty of opportunities for carry over.

organic

Is this a new lower load rear wing (top right)? Or am I forgetting having seen this before

I like how small it is. Similar to the one Alpine have been very competitive with & should help with the drag issues
Last edited by organic on 30 Jun 2022, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Mansell89

@AlbertFabrega

Is this a skinnier McLaren rear wing this weekend??

onewingedangel

Odd if a lower downforce wing is being brought to Silverstone after the Baku and Canada races.

Production delay?

_cerber1

I think this is an old wing for Baku

organic

_cerber1 wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 12:50
I think this is an old wing for Baku
https://i.imgur.com/admIYhP.jpg
Yes I think you are correct