2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

continuum16 wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 15:49
https://the-race.com/formula-1/no-more- ... is-season/

No major upgrades not just short term, but for the rest of the season, apparently. Not spectacular news, If I’m honest. It will be interesting to see if they can hold onto 4th ahead of Alpine and Alfa Romeo.
Tbh, I think it's the right move. The team has secure funding, are at the budget cap and there's actually an advantage to finishing lower in terms of development tools.

Learn what they can from this season, but plow as many resources as possible into the 2023 car bringing anything that will also work this season through, but focusing largely on next year.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

taperoo2k

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 16:31
continuum16 wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 15:49
https://the-race.com/formula-1/no-more- ... is-season/

No major upgrades not just short term, but for the rest of the season, apparently. Not spectacular news, If I’m honest. It will be interesting to see if they can hold onto 4th ahead of Alpine and Alfa Romeo.
Tbh, I think it's the right move. The team has secure funding, are at the budget cap and there's actually an advantage to finishing lower in terms of development tools.

Learn what they can from this season, but plow as many resources as possible into the 2023 car bringing anything that will also work this season through, but focusing largely on next year.
The regulations are pretty stable for the next few years, other than changes to the regulations on safety grounds and closing of loopholes. Finishing lower in the constructors wouldn't be a bad thing, given you get more development time than teams higher up. McLaren getting to grips with this year's car, should hopefully see the team produce a decent car for 2023. The new wind tunnel should be ready by the end of the year, so that will likely have an impact later in the 2023 season. McLaren are running a marathon, not a sprint in it's quest to get back to the top of F1.

CIZUK

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 16:05
Am I wrong or Nissan has already there own works team in FE, think they bought the whole thing from Renault a few years ago...
Yes, although the team used to be run by DAMS and they used Nissan powertrains (team name was Nissan eDAMS) but they bought it completely just this year. McLaren will be a customer team just like they are to Mercedes in F1.

Mclarenfanboy

So, McLaren bought a Mercedes factory team, this years world championship car and next year it will be a Mclaren Nissan customer team. I love them to death, :-), wonder where will they end up next year. :-) :-) ;-), any bets ? ;-)

runningmanz

PhillipM wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 11:22
runningmanz wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 00:28
So maybe just small updates like Lando mentioned but nothing major. Well that's a letdown. Hope Silverstone suits the car better.
Mclaren aren't expecting to do too well here, too many high speed sweeping corners that show up the drag, unless they luck into the perfect tyre setup, as keeping the new fronts in the window looks a bit tricky.
Yeah I miss the top speed of last years car but hopefully we surprise a bit here and if nothing else at least pick up some points and maximize the weekend without car issues or pitstop mistakes etc. Looks like we are just going to have to be patient and play the long game. That new wind tunnel can't come soon enough!

CIZUK

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 21:32
So, McLaren bought a Mercedes factory team, this years world championship car and next year it will be a Mclaren Nissan customer team. I love them to death, :-), wonder where will they end up next year. :-) :-) ;-), any bets ? ;-)
Yeah, I was hoping for a Jaguar partnership but Envision took that one :(
And no manufacturers want to do two customers.
Actually its the best deal they could have got without Jaguar - Nissan have been miserably slow the past two years but that was due to a power unit issue that they understand, (powertrains were homologated for 2 years) and in the two years before that, they were very competitive.

Wouter

Formula 1 Scripted Series in the Works at Hulu With Driver Daniel Ricciardo (Exclusive)

A search is under way for writers for the half-hour series from ABC Signature, Temple Hill and Lionsgate TV.

Hulu is getting into the driver’s seat.

The Disney-backed streamer is teaming with driver Daniel Ricciardo to develop a half-hour scripted series that is set in the world of Formula 1 racing.

Details about the project’s logline are being kept under wraps. A search for a writer is under way.

The series, which is currently in the early development stages, hails from ABC Signature, Lionsgate Television and Temple Hill’s Marty Bowen, Wyck Godfrey, Phoebe Zimmer and Sydney Title. Ricciardo, who currently drives for McLaren and has won an impressive eight Grand Prix races, will exec produce.

The news comes as racing projects have been heating up the TV and film landscape. Apple recently landed a Formula 1 feature starring Brad Pitt following a competitive bidding war, and Netflix recently mounted a NASCAR-backed comedy series starring Kevin James, The Crew, which was canceled after one season. Apple also recently landed a feature documentary about British F1 racer Lewis Hamilton.
The Power of Dreams!

mclaren111

Wouter wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 09:44
Formula 1 Scripted Series in the Works at Hulu With Driver Daniel Ricciardo (Exclusive)

A search is under way for writers for the half-hour series from ABC Signature, Temple Hill and Lionsgate TV.

Hulu is getting into the driver’s seat.

The Disney-backed streamer is teaming with driver Daniel Ricciardo to develop a half-hour scripted series that is set in the world of Formula 1 racing.

Details about the project’s logline are being kept under wraps. A search for a writer is under way.

The series, which is currently in the early development stages, hails from ABC Signature, Lionsgate Television and Temple Hill’s Marty Bowen, Wyck Godfrey, Phoebe Zimmer and Sydney Title. Ricciardo, who currently drives for McLaren and has won an impressive eight Grand Prix races, will exec produce.

The news comes as racing projects have been heating up the TV and film landscape. Apple recently landed a Formula 1 feature starring Brad Pitt following a competitive bidding war, and Netflix recently mounted a NASCAR-backed comedy series starring Kevin James, The Crew, which was canceled after one season. Apple also recently landed a feature documentary about British F1 racer Lewis Hamilton.

Sadly, if Disney is involved it will be a Woke Sh*tshow... :mrgreen:

mclaren111

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10329827/

Is this another way of confirming that MCL36 is not worth spending money on - Crap Car ??

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 13:10

Is this another way of confirming that MCL36 is not worth spending money on - Crap Car ??
The article states they think it is a better all around car and has fixed a load of weaknesses. If they can fix the drag it would be a very good car, but the budget cap has nailed that unless they have something coming soon. There are some upgrades coming for Silverstone (As stated by Lando in an article) but I've no idea what.

The car is a very good platform for the year if it were developed and if they knew what to do to improve the way the outwash was handled (Not suggesting that they don't). But it is what it is, the cars will not change much unless the FIA allow another 20mil or so to spend for the year.

Wind tunnel time and materials are the extras they have to pay for, CFD and staff they have, so I'd guess they can still "theoretically" do work to the car. But perhaps they will place their time on developing next years car as they can't afford to do this and next years within the budget cap.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 13:53
mclaren111 wrote:

The article states they think it is a better all around car and has fixed a load of weaknesses. If they can fix the drag it would be a very good car, but the budget cap has nailed that unless they have something coming soon. There are some upgrades coming for Silverstone (As stated by Lando in an article) but I've no idea what.

The car is a very good platform for the year if it were developed and if they knew what to do to improve the way the outwash was handled (Not suggesting that they don't). But it is what it is, the cars will not change much unless the FIA allow another 20mil or so to spend for the year.

Wind tunnel time and materials are the extras they have to pay for, CFD and staff they have, so I'd guess they can still "theoretically" do work to the car. But perhaps they will place their time on developing next years car as they can't afford to do this and next years within the budget cap.

We solved some weaknesses & created different ones... Most probably to extensive & expensive to fix in 2022...

I say start focusing on 2023...

_cerber1

Now it's a reality, once you realize that somewhere you made a mistake, then you no longer have the opportunity to correct it, and the best thing you can do is throw all your strength into the next season. I think that we will see this in McLaren. Do not be surprised if the MCL37 chassis is very similar to the Red Bull 18, in my opinion now this is the best chassis in the peloton, especially since everything is very similar in terms of suspension elements.

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 14:44
mwillems wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

We solved some weaknesses & created different ones... Most probably to extensive & expensive to fix in 2022...

The "probably too extensive" means they don't know what it is.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 15:40
mclaren111 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

That wasn't in the article, it was just his opinion. It's a shame we might not find out in reality though.

The budget cap is important for F1 for sure, but I'm not feeling so great about it given the current economic circumstances.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 15:47
diffuser wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 15:40
mclaren111 wrote:

That wasn't in the article, it was just his opinion. It's a shame we might not find out in reality though.

The budget cap is important for F1 for sure, but I'm not feeling so great about it given the current economic circumstances.
What I read was "Since 99% of the 2022 car was NEW, it cost 30 Million more than the 2023 car will." The 30 Million will vary from teams to team depending on how much they cary over.

The other thing about the CAP we don't know is "how much of the 2022 car was built using 2021 budget vs 2022 budget". How much did McLaren spend in 2021 on the 2021 car trying to stay ahead of Ferrari that they could have put into the 2022 car? Let's face it the 2021 baby was one of those rare occasions that we through the baby out WITH the bath water!