Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Leaving out the progress made in better thermal as well as volumetric efficiency and other progresses made like in combustion. Which one of the two, example. A NA 3.0L 1000HP and the present turbocharged 1.6l (less electrical power) 800hp engine consumes the more air?. The NA engine was said to have been consuming around 450l of air per second.

Tommy Cookers

I'll buy in to this - it's my favourite topic

the 1.6 litre hybrid consumes more air
notionally 8400 litre/min of hybrid turbo air (or more) being more mass than 450 litre/sec (27000 litre/min) of NA air

'consuming' more air to dilute the heat so that less heat needs to be dumped eg via coolant

was it a trick question - is there an air shortage ?
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 25 Jun 2022, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

DutchPanther

Roostfactor wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 23:55
DutchPanther wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 23:23
From what I understood, the Subaru basically treats it's turbo charger like a turbine engine while, most F1 car use the MGU-H as the driving force for the turbine. As Hoffman said (which I imagine is what most teams probably do), if the turbo pressure is to be a constant, then definitely the H unit is being used as a motor. But that said then, won't they be able to change core engine characteristics with a switch?
I dont know what you mean by "core engine characteristics" but yes that's what the different strat modes and other switches do, change how much mgu's recharge (generator) vs adding to output power (motor).
This we know happens, how it happens is the top secret magic.
Core engine characteristics as in combustion characteristics because by altering the H unit's speed, you're affecting the in cylinder pressure right? and if they are affected won't the compression ignition characteristics also change?
How hard can it be? ~Jeremious Clarksonious

saviour stivala

‘’Hybrid – The F1 I.6 L TURBO consumes more air’’. Yes the F1 1.6L turbo consumes more air at (16800 l/min) per engine capacity wise. Than the NA 3.0 L (27000 l/min) before it, again capacity wise. But volume of air wise 27000 l/min is greater than 16800 l/min of air being consumed (consumption wise). .

PlatinumZealot

saviour stivala wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 08:00
Leaving out the progress made in better thermal as well as volumetric efficiency and other progresses made like in combustion. Which one of the two, example. A NA 3.0L 1000HP and the present turbocharged 1.6l (less electrical power) 800hp engine consumes the more air?. The NA engine was said to have been consuming around 450l of air per second.
Looking atthe ICE alone the NA engines were 1000hp and the V6 hybrids are 860hp. Soo..

The NA v10 was about 160kg/hr of fuel at full power. AFR was probably 12 to 13 (im guessing) so Air flow is therefor 450liters to 490 litres per second.

The V6 AFR is said to be about 20 to 22 (very lean).
So.. 100kg/hr of fuel needs 480 liters to 526 litres per second of air.

So the air demand is slightly more for the V6.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

organic

DutchPanther

I was wondering if F1 constructors use physics properties like Halbach array to boost their ERS performance

DutchPanther

organic wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 13:20
The Honda unit looks so much more refined than the Mercedes unit.

chrisc90

Re: Red Bull RB18

Is there any more rumours of the battery and its components being upgraded yet? Is this likely to be seen before summer break to give a bit time to reflect on the upgrades and improve if so before them components become hologomated .

PlatinumZealot

DutchPanther wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 12:45
I was wondering if F1 constructors use physics properties like Halbach array to boost their ERS performance
What property of this array are you thinking about?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

J.A.W.

Size/mass/rotational inertia in electro-mechanical function-units perhaps?

& maybe an added cool-flow from a vortex tube to maintain E-M conductivity too?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

godlameroso

DutchPanther wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 12:17
Roostfactor wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 23:55
DutchPanther wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 23:23
From what I understood, the Subaru basically treats it's turbo charger like a turbine engine while, most F1 car use the MGU-H as the driving force for the turbine. As Hoffman said (which I imagine is what most teams probably do), if the turbo pressure is to be a constant, then definitely the H unit is being used as a motor. But that said then, won't they be able to change core engine characteristics with a switch?
I dont know what you mean by "core engine characteristics" but yes that's what the different strat modes and other switches do, change how much mgu's recharge (generator) vs adding to output power (motor).
This we know happens, how it happens is the top secret magic.
Core engine characteristics as in combustion characteristics because by altering the H unit's speed, you're affecting the in cylinder pressure right? and if they are affected won't the compression ignition characteristics also change?
In a way, because you reduce back pressure with higher turbine speed, which alters the pressure waves and how they reflect in the exhaust system. Since the H is also coupled to the compressor, compressor speed and thus intake pressure waves are altered. Furthermore, since Honda uses a bypass system compressor output can affect exhaust gas temperature and volume/density.
Saishū kōnā

DutchPanther

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 02:00
DutchPanther wrote:
I was thinking about, application of Halbach array to arrange the permanent magnets inside the ERS motors

J.A.W.

DutchPanther wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 12:04
PlatinumZealot wrote:
DutchPanther wrote:
I was thinking about, application of Halbach array to arrange the permanent magnets inside the ERS motors
What for?

If you missed my suggestion as to a purpose - a couple of posts back up the page - is that it?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

DutchPanther

J.A.W. wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 15:15
DutchPanther wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 12:04
PlatinumZealot wrote:

What for?

If you missed my suggestion as to a purpose - a couple of posts back up the page - is that it?
I was thinking in terms of stator magnet arrangement in the ERS motors (MGU-H and MGU-K). It seemed like if Halbach arrays were to be used, we'd have 'boosted' magnetic flux inside, increasing the efficiency of the motor. That said, probably a lot of F1 teams are already utilising this effect.