Is THIS More Exciting Than Formula One?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
johnny comelately

Is THIS More Exciting Than Formula One?

Possibly

johnny comelately

Re: Is THIS More Exciting Than Formula One?

Being in Baja country, wonder if anyone remembers legendary Larry Roeseler who while racing crashed head on into a spectators Kombi (Hitler's Revenge) who had gone onto the route. It left his imprint on the front of said car. That was in the 70's or 80's (cannot remember even though I'm stuck there).
He went on racing bikes to 1994 then added 2 more wheels...

Airshifter

I remember quite a few big crashes that involved spectators, including some deaths of spectators. And really it's no surprise at all. I've been down to Mexico a decent bit of time and watched the Baja races 3 times that I recall. It makes the rally spectators seem almost tame and not willing to take risks.

Before all the safety and regulation stuff that gave the big money teams some relative privacy, it was insane down there. People would find the biggest jumps, unpredictable whoops sections, big hidden rocks, whatever... and set up full blown party spots waiting to see someone have a big off and send parts flying.

It's been about 30 years since I've seen them in action first hand, but even then they were gobbling up incredible amounts of rough terrain in nuts of steel fashion. The only real downside to being there was that they passed so quickly. Often the best viewing was to find a challenging section with some tall enough hills to perch up on, and then use a big camera lens or binoculars so you could take in more of what they were doing over distance.

It's a shame it reached a point of the traps and spectator obstacles in hopes of landing parts and such. It was never like that for years, and often spectators were out in crazy terrain to help people through. We found a biker one night just out circling trying to find the main trails again, probably 3am. The guy was delusional nuts tired, but refused to stop. We convinced him to at least take a break for some of our food, get hydrated, and he went on his way.

I'd love to get down there again and see the modern trucks. Beastly stuff.

johnny comelately

J.A.W.

johnny comelately wrote:
04 May 2022, 02:50
Being in Baja country, wonder if anyone remembers legendary Larry Roeseler who while racing crashed head on into a spectators Kombi (Hitler's Revenge) who had gone onto the route. It left his imprint on the front of said car. That was in the 70's or 80's (cannot remember even though I'm stuck there).
He went on racing bikes to 1994 then added 2 more wheels...
Larry was one of the 'Team Green' hardmen who hammered these big brutal bikes down Baja,
beating the buggies/trucks & sundry 4-wheeled machinery for outright wins, back in the `90s...

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/kx500-the- ... e-you-die/
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

johnny comelately

390 Husky when he embossed himself

johnny comelately

From the comments:
(Viewer) I was watching an indycar race from 93. This dude is racing against Emerson Fitipaldi and Nigel Mansell legendary F1 world champions.

Oh, and some porpoising :wink:

Zynerji

johnny comelately wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 14:11
From the comments:
(Viewer) I was watching an indycar race from 93. This dude is racing against Emerson Fitipaldi and Nigel Mansell legendary F1 world champions.

Oh, and some porpoising :wink:
I wonder how much the hydraulic suspension would help..😏

johnny comelately

Keeping your foot in it...

johnny comelately

johnny comelately

The Yank version of longtrack speedway, the Mile.
Very, very good racing IMHO
Anomalous racing, helmets, leathers and cheese-cutter fences with token gesture hard haybales.
No aero (thank the lord :wink: ), no falseness to make better racing, grid chix, air filter testing, no track rubbering up just wearing out, no brakes, no pitstops, just sprinting, all makes of bikes, no purse much, good commentating, good camera positions.....

johnny comelately

Insta360 View onboard at the Mile

johnny comelately

I do not agree with this racing but it is exciting