2022 FIM MotoGP

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: 2022 FIM MotoGP

What a race for Aleix Espargaró, I was afraid for him when some drops of rain did appear, but he managed the pressure and anger perfectly.

That overtake at last chicane in last lap was simply epic.

Fabio made a big mistake, but he´s just too nice to get angry with him.

The title fight will be tough if Aprilia keep this level, they were the fastest bikes in Assen and 21 points is not that big of a difference now

Cuky

I don't like how stewarding is going on in MotoGP this year. In previous years they were fairly consistent when applying pebalties, but this year they are all over the place. Riders get long lap penalties for going slow on the racing line, while sometimes they juat give out a warning for that. Nakagami takes out two riders with himself and doesn't even get an official warning, while Quartararo makes a mistake while racing for position, fals down and takes Aleix wide. Aleix finishes the race in 4th, closes the gap by 13 points and Fabio gets long lap penalty for next race. Interestingly, in Qatar Bagnaia took out Martin while trying to pass on braking into T1... he also got out of it without any warning or penalty

johnny comelately

May have posted this before ..
Wayne Rainey rides again at Goodwood
One of the all time greats who had that accident that made him a paraplegic hops on his old Yamaha for a demo run.
This video explains a bit of how that happened
If you can ever find the race at Hockenheim where he, Schwantz and Doohan raced for the lead and what they were doing going into the forest section produced one of the best races ever.
BTW I remember seeing Mamola going through that ultra fast right hander there in 6th gear and scraping his fairing through it whew!
What comes to mind is his comment about how dangerous they were to ride because of the sudden and huge power causing many highsiders...a fix earlier in time by Kenny Roberts to create a suedo traction control was a manual handlebar mounted switch that turned off two coils !
Bon appetite:

This is the race in Hockenheim I was referring to, not the best coverage so if you can find a better one it would be worth it (Hockenheim 1991). We used to do the plug chops at that chicane because that area had the highest oxygen content from the trees...

johnny comelately

Some interesting information from Danilo Petrucci

https://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/10 ... -exclusive

johnny comelately

Why tyres are THE most important thing in MotoGP! With Kenny Roberts

johnny comelately

A little whinge about the FIM.
looking up the official technical regulations of the world championship for road racing sidecars, it says this:
Engine and transmission
General: If a change to a part or system is not specifically allowed in any
of the following articles, then it is forbidden.
Only 4-cylinder 4-stroke engines of mass production with an FIM
homologation for Supersport/Superstock 600cc are accepted.

THEN IT SAYS THIS:
All vehicles must be fuelled with:
- unleaded gasoline (from public pump station or race type) OR
- a mixture of unleaded gasolines OR
- a mixture of unleaded gasoline(s) and lubricant in the case of 2-stroke
engines.

Cuky

I guess that 2-stroke part has been left in the rules for use when some historical events are organized.

Dorna and Suzuki have confirmed that Suzuki will be leaving both MotoGP and Endurance World Championship at the end of 2022
https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/10078 ... after-2022

etusch

We are pleased to announce the signing of Álex Rins on a two-year contract with us and Honda Racing Corporation.
Lucio Cecchinello :
“I am delighted to announce that Álex Rins will be the LCR Honda CASTROL rider in 2023. We’ve just finished signing the contract, all 3 parties, so we are finally able to announce it. Rins is an experienced rider, a fast rider and a podium finisher.
This wealth of experience, coupled with Rins’ ability to give the precise suggestions to his technicians, as I’ve heard, will surely help us to improve our our bike package, aiming to fight for more podiums.”
Álex Rins
Super happy to be joining the LCR Honda Team! Changing team and bike is always a challenge but I'll give my 100% to put into practice everything that I’ve learnt during these years in MotoGP

johnny comelately

etusch wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 11:19
We are pleased to announce the signing of Álex Rins on a two-year contract with us and Honda Racing Corporation.
Lucio Cecchinello :
“I am delighted to announce that Álex Rins will be the LCR Honda CASTROL rider in 2023. We’ve just finished signing the contract, all 3 parties, so we are finally able to announce it. Rins is an experienced rider, a fast rider and a podium finisher.
This wealth of experience, coupled with Rins’ ability to give the precise suggestions to his technicians, as I’ve heard, will surely help us to improve our our bike package, aiming to fight for more podiums.”
Álex Rins
Super happy to be joining the LCR Honda Team! Changing team and bike is always a challenge but I'll give my 100% to put into practice everything that I’ve learnt during these years in MotoGP
Anything but a Honda ! :wink:

johnny comelately

There is an interesting comparison between the current F1 behaviours regarding safety and for example the porpoising effect on driver health and the MotoGP world where rider health is a low priority where the last few years of Honda design has been an abject failure. And before that the ECU changes that led to so many body damaging highsiders.

Cuky

I think there is also a different mentality from riders' side as compared to F1 (or any car series) drivers. In car racing drivers know that most of the time nothing will happen to them. They are protected and they know it. So when a problem sbows up that makes them uncomfortable they raise ther objections and engineers work on solving them.

In motorcycle racing riders throw the leg over the bike knowing that a mkstake on their part means they will have to walk/hitch a scooter ride back to the pit at best, while at worst they will get beaten up and maybe even have to miss a race or two. They also woice their concerns when something serious comes up, but they know that there is not much more that can be done to protect them.

Same is for me when driving on the road. Wnen I am in my car I always moan. about it being too hot, or too cold, or too wet, or stupid drivers cutting in or parking howevsr they want. While on my bike I realise that I am giving up a lot in comfort and safety and that kinda makes me more sharp and by result more calm and relaxed.

alfred0809

Rules for MotoGP testing are kinda more relaxed than in F1. Riders that are contracted for racing can't test throughout the season other than on official test sessions (last year it was pre-season in Qatar, at Catalunya after the race weekend, in Misano and after the last race in Jerez).

johnny comelately

Joan Mir interview reveals some interesting MotoGp riding things
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... FY,6CHD5,1

johnny comelately

To help cover the gap of the summer break here is the Race of Champions for Ducati Week at Misano, surprisingly Miller is there

johnny comelately

More for the Ducatistas
Good marketing, thank you Porsche