2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 16:29
Jut noticed that after 9 races Alonso leads Ocon in the Quali Challenge 6 to 3. That's including Australia that he was well ahead but suffered hydrolics issues, it could have easily been 7 to 2. Ocon better step on it otherwise, we're approaching domination.
Ocon is performing on Sundays. That’s what really matters.

diffuser

JPower wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 23:42
diffuser wrote:
Jut noticed that after 9 races Alonso leads Ocon in the Quali Challenge 6 to 3. That's including Australia that he was well ahead but suffered hydrolics issues, it could have easily been 7 to 2. Ocon better step on it otherwise, we're approaching domination.
You mean he's not getting the reliability issues that Alonso's having on Sunday.

JPower

diffuser wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 01:34
JPower wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 23:42
diffuser wrote:
You mean he's not getting the reliability issues that Alonso's having on Sunday.
I don't think it matters. I don't think Ocon is really worried about qualifying vs Alonso tbh.

Andres125sx

I think it does. Even if Ocon is performing on sundays Alonso is performing higher, only the reliability issues have caused Ocon to be higher in the table, so once it´s equalled, and if the trend continues with Alonso starting the races higher in the grid, he will beat him at the end of the season

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 07:59
I think it does. Even if Ocon is performing on sundays Alonso is performing higher, only the reliability issues have caused Ocon to be higher in the table, so once it´s equalled, and if the trend continues with Alonso starting the races higher in the grid, he will beat him at the end of the season
Yeah, he could of made up a huge chunk of points in Montreal had he not had another PU issue and could have finished on the podium. You got to wonder when another oportunity like that will come again (with one driver from each of the top 2 teams being out and a race in the Alpine chassis sweetspot).

They have another big upgrade for Silverstone.....Really like how thier budget/year has been orginaized. They just barely got the car built in time for the preseasons tests, arguably a little late and really a car that was designed as a building block. It arrived as a lego style car that allow for limiting the scope of upgraded parts, keep costs of upgrades down. The upgrades have literally been coming since the first race.

The first good floor pictures with what RBR are doing with the floor came out at the end of April, End of April plus 8 - 10 weeks takes to a window to incorporate some of those upgrades. Alpine have started to incorperate what they're seeing around the grid, hopefully they've a major upgrade for the floor coming this week.
Last edited by diffuser on 27 Jun 2022, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.S

They have an updated floor for Silverstone & they said it will be a big boost but most teams will bring some upgrades to Silverstone, atleast the top ones.

Let’s see what it does. They need a big upgrade like 4-5 tenths type which Ashton Martin sort of made to fight with Mercedes for P3 m. Mercedes is definitely 2-3-4 tenths ahead depending on the track & they will bring upgrades & also improve.

I do think there is also major scope with the side pods, maybe a RBR or Ferrari type or maybe 2008 Mclaren types. There will be huge gains in downforce & we saw Ashton make that. I don’t think they can close the gap without a sidepod upgrade (& floor - the 2 big areas). Maybe they upgrade the ugly looking nose (the front wing looks cool) or bring Mercedes type rear view mirrors to guide the flow of air.

Alonso surely deserves a better car & Ocon is pretty decent too.

diffuser

Mr.S wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 16:11
They have an updated floor for Silverstone & they said it will be a big boost but most teams will bring some upgrades to Silverstone, atleast the top ones.

Let’s see what it does. They need a big upgrade like 4-5 tenths type which Ashton Martin sort of made to fight with Mercedes for P3 m. Mercedes is definitely 2-3-4 tenths ahead depending on the track & they will bring upgrades & also improve.

I do think there is also major scope with the side pods, maybe a RBR or Ferrari type or maybe 2008 Mclaren types. There will be huge gains in downforce & we saw Ashton make that. I don’t think they can close the gap without a sidepod upgrade (& floor - the 2 big areas). Maybe they upgrade the ugly looking nose (the front wing looks cool) or bring Mercedes type rear view mirrors to guide the flow of air.

Alonso surely deserves a better car & Ocon is pretty decent too.

In quali, they already have the speed to stick with Merc at some tracks. Race pace comes from minimal tire degradation, for that, you need more DF and balance.

I'd be surprised if they adopt the Merc Mirrors. The sidepod designs of the two cars are completetly different. The sidepods of cars like RBR, Ferrari, and Alpine clean up the airflow to the back.

I have no crystal ball but if they make a change to the sidepods I beleive it would be to extend the undercut of the floor under the enterance of the sidepod. RBR use that to run the air under the floor a little longer and release it further back. It creates a more gradule drop of the floor, creating DF all along that area.

peewon

This car is a bit strange to figure out, even in comparison with other teams. The initial impression was bad in traction zones and slow corners. Lost massive time in the slow section of Baku, but wasnt terrible in Spain and Monaco. Super competitive in the wet in Canada which was surprising. Bad tyre wear but good for quali. PU performance hard to parse due to how radically different setup has been compared to other teams.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 02:34
This car is a bit strange to figure out, even in comparison with other teams. The initial impression was bad in traction zones and slow corners. Lost massive time in the slow section of Baku, but wasnt terrible in Spain and Monaco. Super competitive in the wet in Canada which was surprising. Bad tyre wear but good for quali. PU performance hard to parse due to how radically different setup has been compared to other teams.
It isn't he same car. It is changing alot from race to race.

Alonsismo

This car reminds me a lot the R28.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 22:58
peewon wrote:
I was going to mention the car constantly evolving. But does that mean the slow corner issues are sorted now? It was only as far back as Baku that they were losing something like 7 tenths to a second to top runners in the middle sector alone. Are they good on low downforce circuits, for example? I have no idea.

Going from circuit to circuit last season with the A521, you could have a fair guess as to where they would land. If the circuit had any kind of decent length straights, they would struggle. Circuits with slow corners or shorter straights they would do well.

Alonso Fan

peewon wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 12:51
diffuser wrote:
peewon wrote:
I was going to mention the car constantly evolving. But does that mean the slow corner issues are sorted now? It was only as far back as Baku that they were losing something like 7 tenths to a second to top runners in the middle sector alone. Are they good on low downforce circuits, for example? I have no idea.

Going from circuit to circuit last season with the A521, you could have a fair guess as to where they would land. If the circuit had any kind of decent length straights, they would struggle. Circuits with slow corners or shorter straights they would do well.
I think you're reading too much into the Baku middle sector. They had by far the lowest drag setup there compared to other teams so they were bound to lose time there.

From my own judgement (probably not very good) it seems the car likes lower df tracks better but more importantly flowing tracks and more front limited tracks. On these tracks it seems the car is capable of being 3rd or joint 3rd quickest. On the more 'point and squirt' tracks which are more rear limited and less flowing the car is often less competitive and fighting for 4th or 5th fastest overall. I think silverstone will suit the car much like Canada although I think merc will be clear 3rd fastest here
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

diffuser

Alonso Fan wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 13:35
peewon wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I think you're reading too much into the Baku middle sector. They had by far the lowest drag setup there compared to other teams so they were bound to lose time there.

From my own judgement (probably not very good) it seems the car likes lower df tracks better but more importantly flowing tracks and more front limited tracks. On these tracks it seems the car is capable of being 3rd or joint 3rd quickest. On the more 'point and squirt' tracks which are more rear limited and less flowing the car is often less competitive and fighting for 4th or 5th fastest overall. I think silverstone will suit the car much like Canada although I think merc will be clear 3rd fastest here
Silverstone is very different to Canada. No High speed corners in Canada, it is very much a point and squirt track that love's cars that have good areo efficiancy. Silverstone is litered with very high speed corners (excess of 250Kph). Something Alpine has been good at since the onset of this year.

They've made many outer floor tweaks, the double bib and the new beam wings seem to be helping alot. I don't think we'll know how much thier low speed corners speed has improved Since monaco until Hungry.

Alonso Fan

diffuser wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 15:55
Alonso Fan wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 13:35
peewon wrote:

Silverstone is very different to Canada. No High speed corners in Canada, it is very much a point and squirt track that love's cars that have good areo efficiancy. Silverstone is litered with very high speed corners (excess of 250Kph). Something Alpine has been good at since the onset of this year.

They've made many outer floor tweaks, the double bib and the new beam wings seem to be helping alot. I don't think we'll know how much thier low speed corners speed has improved Since monaco until Hungry.
I think of silverstone more akin to Saudi for its high speed nature. Saudi performance was very good until the mechanical troubles. What I meant by point and squirt was slow, short corners like 90 deg sections in Baku and the hairpins in Bahrain. Silverstone only really has 2 of those and the rest of the track is either really fast or mid speed and long corners (luffield)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

organic

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... land-2022/

Interesting AMuS article. Covers Alpine's strengths which may be on the softest compounds. British GP is C1-C3 which could mean trouble for the A522 in qualifying - it may not like the soft compound particularly