Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
ringo
204
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

What upgrades are coming to silverstone?
Can we expect a new nosecone with a separate lower wing profile at the tip, compared to this current nose that is fused to the lower profile.
For Sure!!

cplchanb
cplchanb
9
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

ringo wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:41 am
What upgrades are coming to silverstone?
Can we expect a new nosecone with a separate lower wing profile at the tip, compared to this current nose that is fused to the lower profile.
come back next thurs to find out! 8)

User avatar
organic
140
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:24 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ATFx1.html
One thing you can be sure of is we will push as hard as we can,” said technical boss Elliott. “We will be bringing new bits to Silverstone, we will be trying to push the car forward, trying to get some pace from the car we've got, or from the package we've got, as well as the new bits we are going to add to it.

des_1986
des_1986
2
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Some details of upgrades for Silverstone from here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... r4TQl.html

Quoting Shovlin:

"Not quite [sidepods] but we're looking at different front wings, rear wings, there'll be some changes on the floor, so a few other bits and bobs. But a lot of development this year is going on under the cars where people don't see it, but this will be a bit more obvious to those looking."

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
70
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Front wings, rear wings, and floor? That's going to eat into the budget quite a bit.

mkay
mkay
14
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

AR3-GP wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:51 pm
Front wings, rear wings, and floor? That's going to eat into the budget quite a bit.
True, but Merc actually hasn't introduced as many new parts as some of the other teams around them have (e.g., Aston, Alpine).

Also, Merc drivers have done well to avoid needless crashes and therefore saved quite a bit of money on having to manufacture extra bits.

Andi76
Andi76
83
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:19 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

mkay wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:35 am
AR3-GP wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:51 pm
Front wings, rear wings, and floor? That's going to eat into the budget quite a bit.
True, but Merc actually hasn't introduced as many new parts as some of the other teams around them have (e.g., Aston, Alpine).

Also, Merc drivers have done well to avoid needless crashes and therefore saved quite a bit of money on having to manufacture extra bits.
Mercedes, like Shovlin also said in this interview, has brought new parts to every single race. So there probably is no team that has spent more money on developement than Mercedes.

User avatar
carisi2k
21
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

mkay wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:35 am
AR3-GP wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:51 pm
Front wings, rear wings, and floor? That's going to eat into the budget quite a bit.
True, but Merc actually hasn't introduced as many new parts as some of the other teams around them have (e.g., Aston, Alpine).

Also, Merc drivers have done well to avoid needless crashes and therefore saved quite a bit of money on having to manufacture extra bits.
Actually they have. Most however have not been successful which means the money has been a waste.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
558
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

carisi2k wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:03 am
mkay wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:35 am
AR3-GP wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:51 pm
Front wings, rear wings, and floor? That's going to eat into the budget quite a bit.
True, but Merc actually hasn't introduced as many new parts as some of the other teams around them have (e.g., Aston, Alpine).

Also, Merc drivers have done well to avoid needless crashes and therefore saved quite a bit of money on having to manufacture extra bits.
Actually they have. Most however have not been successful which means the money has been a waste.
If a failure helps to point you in the direction towards success, it's not a waste. For a team that was struggling, even data that says "this is the wrong way to go" is good data.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
carisi2k
21
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:52 am
If a failure helps to point you in the direction towards success, it's not a waste. For a team that was struggling, even data that says "this is the wrong way to go" is good data.
Except everything they are trying is the wrong way at the moment and it isn't pointing them towards success. Toto talks a lot but they still have pretty much all the same issues they had at round 1. They still porpoise, they still have issues in corners with bouncing and are really slow in the slow corners.

mantikos
mantikos
34
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

carisi2k wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:45 pm
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:52 am
If a failure helps to point you in the direction towards success, it's not a waste. For a team that was struggling, even data that says "this is the wrong way to go" is good data.
They still porpoise
You must know something they don't

mkay
mkay
14
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

Andi76 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:13 am
mkay wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:35 am
AR3-GP wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:51 pm
Front wings, rear wings, and floor? That's going to eat into the budget quite a bit.
True, but Merc actually hasn't introduced as many new parts as some of the other teams around them have (e.g., Aston, Alpine).

Also, Merc drivers have done well to avoid needless crashes and therefore saved quite a bit of money on having to manufacture extra bits.
Mercedes, like Shovlin also said in this interview, has brought new parts to every single race. So there probably is no team that has spent more money on developement than Mercedes.
A lot of the development was literally taking a saw and sawing off parts of the floor or the rear wing, which they've done several times this season. They haven't actually engineered many "new spec" parts unlike other teams which have introduced multiple specs of sidepods, floors, and wings in comparison.

basti313
basti313
25
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

mkay wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:48 pm
Andi76 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:13 am
mkay wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:35 am


True, but Merc actually hasn't introduced as many new parts as some of the other teams around them have (e.g., Aston, Alpine).

Also, Merc drivers have done well to avoid needless crashes and therefore saved quite a bit of money on having to manufacture extra bits.
Mercedes, like Shovlin also said in this interview, has brought new parts to every single race. So there probably is no team that has spent more money on developement than Mercedes.
A lot of the development was literally taking a saw and sawing off parts of the floor or the rear wing, which they've done several times this season. They haven't actually engineered many "new spec" parts unlike other teams which have introduced multiple specs of sidepods, floors, and wings in comparison.
Well, according to Pat Fry you put down 700k the sink if you calculate the full cost with design, new tools and manufacturing every time you bring a substantial change to a part like a wing or the floor if it does not work. So it is quite clear that as long as you do not understand certain behaviors, you do not bring a new spec, but rather start cutting or gluing on your existing spares.

Once you are understanding what is happening you can start evolving.
With the comments of Toto, that porpoising is ok now, I guess we will also see the evolution on the W13, most probably with a floor that brings it a bit up.

Andi76
Andi76
83
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:19 pm

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

mkay wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:48 pm
Andi76 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:13 am
mkay wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:35 am


True, but Merc actually hasn't introduced as many new parts as some of the other teams around them have (e.g., Aston, Alpine).

Also, Merc drivers have done well to avoid needless crashes and therefore saved quite a bit of money on having to manufacture extra bits.
Mercedes, like Shovlin also said in this interview, has brought new parts to every single race. So there probably is no team that has spent more money on developement than Mercedes.
A lot of the development was literally taking a saw and sawing off parts of the floor or the rear wing, which they've done several times this season. They haven't actually engineered many "new spec" parts unlike other teams which have introduced multiple specs of sidepods, floors, and wings in comparison.
When i go to the "show and tell"-session and the FIA documents with the new parts, it does not really look like "saw and sawing"of parts....and its not much less than what Red Bull did. And more than Ferrari who only brought one Update in Barcelona and one Rear-Wing.

User avatar
hollus
Moderator
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Mercedes W13

Post

hollus wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:38 pm
Time for a refresher.
Thunder wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:37 am
https://i.imgur.com/NVPF2Qz.png

This is the official Mercedes W13 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the W13 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2022 Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team thread.
I would like to see a paleontologist.